Post by redmail » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:28 pm

How do you go from testing to staging to production?
Whats an effective workflow to keep track of changes so you can revert back to them?

Im running 2.3.0.2 on nginx with mariadb

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:10 pm

Post by OSWorX » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:55 pm

redmail wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:28 pm
How do you go from testing to staging to production?
Whats an effective workflow to keep track of changes so you can revert back to them?

Im running 2.3.0.2 on nginx with mariadb
Not sure what you mean.
Update and teststage are 2 different pair of shoes ..

Do you want to update, or do you want to develop (something new)?

Custom Development | Individuelle Entwicklung | Support & Bugfixes

Image Image Image


User avatar
Guru Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:52 pm
Location - Austria

Post by thekrotek » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:04 am

It all depends on your skills. I can do everything live and don't even remember when I had to restore a backup. Everything can be fixed without too much hassle.

But in general you can create a test instance, do everything you need and then make it live. That's it, as simple as it gets.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com


User avatar
Expert Member
Online

Posts

Joined
Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:24 am


Post by IP_CAM » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:14 am

One great Tool to test OpenCart is the Productsgenerator. One can fill up a
TestShop with any amount of differently 'random-configured' products, to
find out, if everything, related to Display and Sales, works flawless, from the
Admin Side, down to the final email Sales confirmation. And all that for a
lousy 20 US-Bucks ... :laugh:
---
ProductsGenerator
https://isenselabs.com/products/view/pr ... h-products
---
Image

I don't use the Forum Mailer, to reach me, contact: jti@jacob.ch
-
Demoversions:
OpenCart LIGHT v.1.5.6.5 http://www.bigmax.ch/
OpenCart V-PRO v.1.5.6.5 http://www.ebikes.li/shop/
-
1'700+ FREE OC Extensions - from OC v.1.5.x up,
on the world's largest OC-related Github Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
-
Image


User avatar
Legendary Member

Posts

Joined
Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:37 am
Location - Switzerland

Post by redmail » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:58 pm

OSWorX wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:55 pm
redmail wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:28 pm
How do you go from testing to staging to production?
Whats an effective workflow to keep track of changes so you can revert back to them?

Im running 2.3.0.2 on nginx with mariadb
Not sure what you mean.
Update and teststage are 2 different pair of shoes ..

Do you want to update, or do you want to develop (something new)?
Once you've installed Opencart on your server and its live on your domain that would be the production version.
But for example, if you want to install a new extension you would test it on your local development environment, then if it works, try it on your staging environment like staging.myopencartstore.com. If it works, then you would update the live store.

Is this a typical workflow you guys would use?

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:10 pm

Post by redmail » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:03 pm

thekrotek wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:04 am
It all depends on your skills. I can do everything live and don't even remember when I had to restore a backup. Everything can be fixed without too much hassle.

But in general you can create a test instance, do everything you need and then make it live. That's it, as simple as it gets.
Alright maybe it is best to keep it simple. But has anybody tried containers like using Docker?

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:10 pm

Post by redmail » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:05 pm

IP_CAM wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:14 am
One great Tool to test OpenCart is the Productsgenerator. One can fill up a
TestShop with any amount of differently 'random-configured' products, to
find out, if everything, related to Display and Sales, works flawless, from the
Admin Side, down to the final email Sales confirmation. And all that for a
lousy 20 US-Bucks ... :laugh:
---
ProductsGenerator
https://isenselabs.com/products/view/pr ... h-products
---
Image
Thanks, I'll have a look at that.

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:10 pm

Post by OSWorX » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:55 pm

redmail wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:58 pm
Once you've installed Opencart on your server and its live on your domain that would be the production version.
But for example, if you want to install a new extension you would test it on your local development environment, then if it works, try it on your staging environment like staging.myopencartstore.com. If it works, then you would update the live store.

Is this a typical workflow you guys would use?
Yes, that should be done always in that way (would prevent a massive amount of users here reporting needless errors ..).
But not many are working this way - the hell knows why.

Not to forget: never install something and do not use it further.
Or install, use it once and then never.
Always try to keep your system as clean as possible.

Custom Development | Individuelle Entwicklung | Support & Bugfixes

Image Image Image


User avatar
Guru Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:52 pm
Location - Austria
Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests