Post by Pau1Clarke » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:35 pm

Hi,

I am running the latest version of OpenCart and recently my social share buttons have disappeared. Originally there was icons for facebook, twitter, sharethis etc. per-installed and I can't find any settings or modules for the per-installed share buttons. I did not install any other social media extensions previously to this option missing. ???

Please advise,

Paul

Post by OSWorX » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:26 pm

Basically if you are in the EC or your visitors are from the EC, displaying such buttons without consent is forbidden.

Nevertheless, which template are you using?
These buttons are per default in the product layout (product.twig) and include always an affiliate Code of OpenCart - means if you want to have your own statistics, you must replace the original code with your own.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by Pau1Clarke » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:33 pm

Hi,

I'm using the default template with the default social media share icons. Thanks for the reply and for the info, some how they appeared back again when I restarted my computer which makes sense if the buttons are linked externally. :)

Do I need to include a disclaimer on the use of opencart's social media share icons in my privacy policy for non-consenting site visitors in the EC ? :-\

Kind regards,

Paul

Post by OSWorX » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:48 pm

Not only a disclaimer, after the last decision of the High Court a consent has to be given before they are displayed.
So, visitors must agree explicit to display (and use) these buttons.
Because the moment they are displayed (as the techncial embedding is currently done), data is sent already to these providers - and that has to be prevented.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria