Post by readyman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:32 pm

Hahaha, this is like an intervention or something...
Sorry guys, I guess I'm not on the same page, so I shouldn't have said anything... if I have a problem, I fix it, because I know how to code. I worked for Interspire on their initial StoreSuite, so it's all PHP, HTML and graphics to me...
@Superjuice, I'm not here to make money - I have a day job that pays much more than opencart traffic & I have clients outside of this community buying websites, not just opencart sites. I'm here to help & contribute.
And I apologise for the 'Opencart Haters' comment, but it was just a generalized colloquial expression to reference the people that seemed negative about a new version. The language used seemed negative.

Anyhow, Daniel, I'm here if you need a hand. I'm the Readyman.

http://www.alreadymade.com
Follow me on twitter.com/alreadymade

Global Moderator

Location - Sydney

Post by i2Paq » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:35 pm

ThePath wrote:@peteneon - stop hijacking a thread because the mods and admins are taking part in it, this is totally off topic and annoying, you will get more of an answer if you start a new support topic!
I've split his reply's from this topic into an new topic of his own.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by Daniel » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:41 pm

ok good idea about a release manager.

If some one who knows how to use SVN and can help create changes logs that would be great.

I never write anydown when doing changes as it just slows me down. It also means I can never remember all the changes when a new version is released.

The manager can use programs like beyond compare to compare file changes then add that to the changelog.

I will probably release another version next week with bug fixes, UPS and a few other small chanegs.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by dbstr » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:42 pm

Will the invoice stuff be in the next version? :)

Request Reviews v1.0 released.

Post by Miguelito » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:47 pm

dbstr: do you mean order edit and manual order insertion from admin side? That would be a great feauture, but I'm happy with what Daniel has done so far. Keep on rockin', Daniel 8)

The Finnish OpenCart Forum
"Real programmers don't document. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand."

Post by dbstr » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:48 pm

Miguelito wrote:dbstr: do you mean order edit and manual order insertion from admin side? That would be a great feauture, but I'm happy with what Daniel has done so far. Keep on rockin', Daniel 8)
No, I know that's scheduled for a later release. I'm talking about the invoice system, that has been discussed earlier..

I already made a system for OC 1.3.4, but I would love to go with 1.4.x instead, and if it's in the next version I'm not gonna bother improving it, and porting it to 1.4.0 ;-)

Request Reviews v1.0 released.

Post by SuperJuice » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:00 am

readyman wrote:Sorry guys, I guess I'm not on the same page, so I shouldn't have said anything... if I have a problem, I fix it, because I know how to code. I worked for Interspire on their initial StoreSuite, so it's all PHP, HTML and graphics to me...
Since when it is about being able to code?

I can code too, as can a hell of a lot of other people here. It is the people who can code and write mods that are most affected when the main code changes unpredictably and their mods break.

Sure not writing a changelog might save Daniel time, but how much community time does it collectively waste when mod writers have to trudge through the code to find the code changes themselves every release? They also then have to confirm if their mods are broken with a new release?

Perfect example in this version is the getQuote call changing again, yes I can code, yes I can fix it (quite easily).. but with 1.4.1 round the corner, should I save my effort and just fix my mod when 1.4.1 comes out in case it gets broken again?

I just want people to start thinking about the community impact of what they are doing, not just personal impact.

I think release manager is a good idea, I also think releasing a version as 'beta' onto the forum, allowing feedback like above, and then making a 'stable' release once all the feedback / testing is done (not feature requests), would be an easy way to improve the process. This will stop the rush of everyone upgrading when the new release comes out and potentially breaking their production site with new bugs. Currently one person tests it before a stable release, the test matrix of mods / features is now far too big for a single person to test.

Post by readyman » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:08 am

You are absolutely right.

http://www.alreadymade.com
Follow me on twitter.com/alreadymade

Global Moderator

Location - Sydney

Post by Daniel » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:08 am

I had to change getQuote because UPS and google checkout will not work properly.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by SuperJuice » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:21 am

Daniel wrote:I had to change getQuote because UPS and google checkout will not work properly.
Appreciate things may need to change for compatibility, all comes down to communicating these changes back to the community effectively and giving people a chance to test.

The other stress these releases put on mod writers is that new version X comes out, everyone assumes it's stable as soon as it's released and upgrades their production site (not something I agree with). Then they realise one of the mods they depend on no longer works so the pressure is all of a sudden on the mod writer to bring it in to line.

Perhaps with 1.4.1, it gets released as beta first with a feature freeze, if anyone has requests for new features it can be kept in a todo list for the next version.

So ideally:
Feature list is provided for the release (stuff that should work), and changes so testers can focus on testing the major changes
Beta version is released labeled as beta onto the forum so 'joe user' doesn't grab it to use it in production
The community provides bug / test and general feedback about the release back to Daniel (or whoever else has access to the main source tree)
Once the bugs are ironed out either release as stable or enter additional beta rounds
Release a production release of the same version number (1.4.1) for general production use

The benefit of this you can still be constantly developing and the community can contribute to the stability and code quality of the pending releases. You will also see most bugs listed with source fixes so it will be a quick process of updating the beta releases with the additional fixes. You should also see less general users complaining about simple bugs that are easy to fix because they will be ironed out before they see them.

Post by OSWorX » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:54 pm

yaxo wrote:Both newsletter and order-mails are working very well, also for the swedish language :) It look's really nice with the new order confirm mail.

The only thing is the subject for newsletters, it gets decoded to html characters, when one try to use å, ä or ö in the subject.
Here http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9544 is the fix for SMTP and correct subject encoding.
Your issue with the attachments needs another bugfix (because there is also another file affected).

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by karan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:23 pm

hi

i would like to see multi vendor cart.

Post by langtuhoangthanh » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:22 am

I enjoyed opencart 1.4.0 but,
I can not install the language Vietnam
Your language for the Vietnam
open 1.4.0?
And let me news module
Thank you very much

Post by OSWorX » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:46 pm

langtuhoangthanh wrote:I enjoyed opencart 1.4.0 but,
open 1.4.0?
And let me news module
Thank you very much
It seems that for OC 1.4.x no vietnamese language pack is existing: http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... d=7&page=8
What kind of troubles do you have?

And what you mean with ' .. And let me news module ..' ??

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by buttha » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:48 pm

Hello,

I am new to OpenCart, previously used virtuemart. In comparison OpenCart is so easy to use and advanced in some aspects. So thanks to Daniel and other for this. Obviously some improvements are needed - specifically with mods etc, but I guess those will come over time.

thanks.

Post by OpenCart.us » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:52 am

Daniel wrote:ok good idea about a release manager.

If some one who knows how to use SVN and can help create changes logs that would be great.

I never write anydown when doing changes as it just slows me down. It also means I can never remember all the changes when a new version is released.

The manager can use programs like beyond compare to compare file changes then add that to the changelog.

I will probably release another version next week with bug fixes, UPS and a few other small chanegs.
I VOTE for SuperJuice to be the new OC Release Manager!

Quality OpenCart Extensions:
Exclude My Visits From Google Analytics
Hide Admin Dashboard Overview, Statistics & Latest Orders
Advanced Customer Reviews with Email, URL & Auto-Enable
Contact Us Page with Store Hours, Google Maps & Additional Text

Location - New York, NY USA

Post by gocreative » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:03 pm

OpenCart.us wrote:I VOTE for SuperJuice to be the new OC Release Manager!
I second the motion.

Post by i2Paq » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:26 pm

OpenCart.us wrote: I VOTE for SuperJuice to be the new OC Release Manager!
Hear, hear!!

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by langtuhoangthanh » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:22 pm

joomx wrote:
open 1.4.0?
And let me news module
Thank you very much
It seems that for OC 1.4.x no vietnamese language pack is existing: http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... d=7&page=8

Yes, I want module News.
Please, thank.

Post by Xsecrets » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:48 pm

langtuhoangthanh wrote:
joomx wrote:
open 1.4.0?
And let me news module
Thank you very much

Yes, I want module News.
Please, thank.
there's several contributions for this. I don't really see it as high on the priority list to get it in the core.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US