Post by captainmorgan0 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:12 pm

Not sure if this has been requested, but is it possible to add a Free Shipping flag on each product?


Posts

Joined
Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:46 am

Post by tverheijen » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:46 am

like to see:

- Depth of the category`s.... more levels...
- More TABS ...... (if filled)

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:19 am

Post by losvre » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:16 pm

Make the shop as a catalog without the "add to cart" button.

Also why not getting the emails in the backend (kind of ticketing) when a customer make a product enquiry? Kind of enchancement of the present email for product history.

Thanks

New member

Posts

Joined
Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:38 am

Post by Daniel » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:38 am

captainmorgan0 wrote:Not sure if this has been requested, but is it possible to add a Free Shipping flag on each product?

just set shipping to no

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.


User avatar
Administrator

Posts

Joined
Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:57 pm

Post by JFOC » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:06 pm

I hope nextversion will have better main dashboard information report widget like sales or order widget.

New member

Posts

Joined
Tue May 29, 2012 12:48 pm


Post by ferisoft » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:04 am

I think before any new features are added there has to be some significant fixes done. I had to use opencart for a client's ecommerce system and I was shocked by some fundamental problems:

1) Using non transactional tables for ecommerce system is UNHEARD of, plus the default storage engine in mysql nowadays is InnoDB. I cant wrap my head around how can you write orders or change 10 different product tables without using transactions...

2) Caching makes little sense as well, I dont get the idea of caching database results in files when deserializing + file IO especially on slow disks is times slower than raw DB access.

3) There is now support for decent cache invalidation. For example the frontend query in model/catalog/product->getProducts() is probably the heaviest in the system? How do you cache it and invalidate it when a product data is changed in the admin?

4)Routing is .... a big mess to say the least, I would strongly advice on some kind of rewrite of the routing module thats not based on 50 if else statements to match routes.

5) The way templates are injected in eachother is very very unflexible.

6) The idea of separated admin and catalog modules with its own MVC structure is fine and all, but is very badly implemented, whats the point of rewriting every single model file and copy/pasting a lot of it? In such a system the models should be considered more of "domain" classes and should be shared between the admin and catalog since they access/modify the same data...Generally Ive found the issues of code repetition throghout the system but this one is fairly substantial.

I understand that those are all backend stuff and the main userbase of your software never gets to see them, but come on ecommerce with no transactions? If you are interested I can give you some of my changes as a base to address those issues. Thanks!

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:07 pm

Post by tomsworkshop » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:30 pm

free shipping option [Yes/No] for each product on the admin panel

New member

Posts

Joined
Tue May 24, 2011 6:57 am

Post by rmi » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:55 am

All kind of flags cutting the corner of product image would be nice, free shipping, outlet price, special offer, new etc. This could be somehow implemented in product options to be able to create your own flags. Of course it would be nice if setting shipping to 'no' would trigger Free shipping and when adding special or discount price it would trigger flags for those too..

rmi
New member

Posts

Joined
Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:13 am

Post by futureproject » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:58 pm

There's a lot of requests for things that can be added to a template and shouldn't be put into the core. and the more you bulk up the core template with, the more a user who can make custom changes needs to strip out, for example if you put in mobile detection features you're annoying people who want to use responsive design, add responsive design, you'll cause people who want to use a particular framework extra work stripping the default template back before they can start making things look how they want.

There's a few things I would like to see
  • The ability to add special offers category / store wide.
  • The ability to filter the admin product list to products from a particular store
  • A cart module for the sidebar

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:32 pm

Post by villagedefrance » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:28 pm

Lots of great ideas in there, Daniel, Qphoria and the DevTeam are going to be busy for a while!
This a quick summary of things already posted and other I would like to suggest.

So I'll try to make it short:
- OC Auto-Update feature for minor releases (1.6.0.0 to 1.6.x.x).
- Improved Search System (Ucase and Lcase compliant).
- Product Tags specific database re-instated (was removed in 1.5.4).
- Fully Responsive to support all devices.
- Mobile Default Theme (with device detection).
- Affiliate tracking link carried through all catalog pages.

Now the Big Question: vQmod or Override Engine?
VQmod is very popular but IMHO it should remain optional in 1.6.x. Maybe having it integrated would be a nice thing but with the option to disable it if not needed.
Personnaly I would prefer the Override Engine by JNeuhoff, I think this would be the real, future proof, way forward. Unfortunately it is not as popular as vQmod (a bit like it was for Betamax and VHS - lol).

Whichever way it goes, an Extension Self-Installer, as suggested by Xsecret, would be a good addition to OC 1.6.x.

We salute you ...

OpenCart custom solutions @ https://villagedefrance.net


User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:35 pm
Location - UK

Post by Shark » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:09 am

I would start by rewriting the front-end output of the templates. See also:
Attn Theme Developers... We need an intervention
Ampeter wrote:The default opencart theme really needs an overhaul to make it easier to work with. I think this article really nails the current problems and gives a couple of good suggestions to improve the situation.

I specially like the proposal to create a globally accepted "boilerplate" theme.
And the mentioned 'subcribe to newsletter without account signup' has my vote.

User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:43 pm
Location - Haarlem

Post by rmi » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:14 am

Open cart should have something like this to collect ideas for next releases http://www.uservoice.com/

rmi
New member

Posts

Joined
Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:13 am

Post by odi2000 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:22 am

Similar to downloading a digital item, it would be great if restricted web links can be made visible as a link so that the customer subscribing to it can open the link and view it over the duration he/she subscribed for.

I do not have technical competency in Opencart but I believe that this idea can be materialized fairly easily by the Opencart developer and gurus team. Something like sending the "mask" name as the restricted web content path and show/hide that path in user's account based on the subscription status. This would really be exciting to handle many type of projects and services.

So, what do you think?

Using v1.5.4.1


New member

Posts

Joined
Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:13 pm

Post by losvre » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:07 pm

Hello to everyone and happy new year

I also think that all the extensions would be better have as addon rather using Vqmod. Thetrick is that all addons should not change the main installation files.

Now, if override engine does that and takes care of install/uninstall then let it be.

Or the genius Dev team comes with something else then even better. Main thing is to keep the installation as simple and clean as possible.

Thank you all

villagedefrance wrote:Lots of great ideas in there, Daniel, Qphoria and the DevTeam are going to be busy for a while!
This a quick summary of things already posted and other I would like to suggest.

So I'll try to make it short:
- OC Auto-Update feature for minor releases (1.6.0.0 to 1.6.x.x).
- Improved Search System (Ucase and Lcase compliant).
- Product Tags specific database re-instated (was removed in 1.5.4).
- Fully Responsive to support all devices.
- Mobile Default Theme (with device detection).
- Affiliate tracking link carried through all catalog pages.

Now the Big Question: vQmod or Override Engine?
VQmod is very popular but IMHO it should remain optional in 1.6.x. Maybe having it integrated would be a nice thing but with the option to disable it if not needed.
Personnaly I would prefer the Override Engine by JNeuhoff, I think this would be the real, future proof, way forward. Unfortunately it is not as popular as vQmod (a bit like it was for Betamax and VHS - lol).

Whichever way it goes, an Extension Self-Installer, as suggested by Xsecret, would be a good addition to OC 1.6.x.

We salute you ...

New member

Posts

Joined
Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:38 am

Post by odi2000 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:31 pm

Not tried yet vQmod. It appears that there are a lot of addons made for and with this tool. If development was to be static, using such a tool to plug and fix things would be nice. But, the development process of OC is dynamic. I do not know how many addons keep the pace of OC development if we keep integrating as many addons as possible based on the luxury of vQmod? I for one prefer minimizing the use of addons and follow the natural development process of OC. But, if a tool like vQmod is integrated and made optional, that would for sure be helpful.

Using v1.5.4.1


New member

Posts

Joined
Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:13 pm

Post by yachzo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:04 pm

I would like to see support for Authorize AIM FDS (Fraud Detection Suite) and a more user friendly way to edit the language files.

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:44 am

Post by scanreg » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:21 am

would love a native way to track/adjust/reports items based on product options

i know there is the extension OpenStock which is very nice but having a native way to do it would be great

thanks

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Thu May 06, 2010 12:15 am

Post by wadexyz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:53 pm

I'd like to see official nginx support. This is easy to do, and has basically been solved already by people posting on your forums. But considering it's the #2 web server in the world (and gaining market share), it would be nice to see it listed in your documentation for the next release.

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:24 pm

Post by Daniel » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:53 pm

Shark wrote:I would start by rewriting the front-end output of the templates. See also:
Attn Theme Developers... We need an intervention
Ampeter wrote:The default opencart theme really needs an overhaul to make it easier to work with. I think this article really nails the current problems and gives a couple of good suggestions to improve the situation.

I specially like the proposal to create a globally accepted "boilerplate" theme.
And the mentioned 'subcribe to newsletter without account signup' has my vote.

i have been told by many template developers that opencarts template system is one of the best to work with.

if its not broke don't fix it.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.


User avatar
Administrator

Posts

Joined
Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:57 pm

Post by Daniel » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:03 am

wadexyz wrote:I'd like to see official nginx support. This is easy to do, and has basically been solved already by people posting on your forums. But considering it's the #2 web server in the world (and gaining market share), it would be nice to see it listed in your documentation for the next release.
you mean support with nginx and seo urls. opencart should work with any server that can run php / mysql

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.


User avatar
Administrator

Posts

Joined
Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:57 pm
Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests