Post by opencartisalright » Mon May 23, 2011 12:48 pm

gocreative wrote:
opencartisalright wrote:"IE6 compatible" is not a selling point to anyone.
Technically speaking, it may be. Many corporations still use IE6 for one reason or another, as do many Asian countries where Windows XP is heavily pirated and still in use. Upgrades aren't possible on a pirate version therefore they're stuck with IE6.
So OpenCart 1.5 should be held up for those that are pirating illegal software? I think not...

For those legitimate corporations who are still on IE6, chances are the people who are browsing the web while at work also have a computer at home along with an updated version of their favorite browser. They are probably used to the fact that sites they visit at work look like crap due to IE6. So i'm sure they would just visit your site when they got home if they really wanted to buy something from you.

Bottom line, IE6 should have been retired long ago, and those people who are still supporting it are guilty of keeping a 10 year old browser alive. The faster people drop it the better.

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:09 am

Post by gocreative » Mon May 23, 2011 1:20 pm

opencartisalright wrote:So OpenCart 1.5 should be held up for those that are pirating illegal software? I think not...
I agree with you; I was just stating the fact that some people still use IE6. However, it's not our position to determine whether the users own a legitimate copy of software or not. Would you refuse to develop for IE6 if 99% of people used it, and all of those copies were illegal?

But, as I said, I don't think IE6 should be supported because there simply aren't strong enough arguments. It's a matter of time spent versus benefit, and clearly the benefits are very few.

User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:46 pm

Post by opencartisalright » Mon May 23, 2011 2:31 pm

gocreative wrote:Would you refuse to develop for IE6 if 99% of people used it, and all of those copies were illegal?
If I knew that 99% of the people who were using IE6 were on pirated copies of Windows then yeah, I would refuse to develop for it. Good thing i'm not a developer though, so all the pirates can rest easy. :)

I think this conversation is pointless though, Daniel strikes me as the type of person that once he gets something in his head, it's hard to convince him otherwise, therefore I'm sure IE6 will continue to be supported (however unfortunate it may be).

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:09 am

Post by Enkeria » Mon May 23, 2011 3:44 pm

I just wanna thank everyone that takes their time and effort to make Open Cart to what it is today (and tomorrow).

Thank You! :good:

/ Enkeria
http://www.Enkeria.com
http://www.WEREit.se


User avatar
New member

Posts

Joined
Mon May 23, 2011 12:16 am
Location - Sweden

Post by gocreative » Mon May 23, 2011 4:24 pm

opencartisalright wrote:If I knew that 99% of the people who were using IE6 were on pirated copies of Windows then yeah, I would refuse to develop for it. Good thing i'm not a developer though, so all the pirates can rest easy. :)
You'd also be out of business pretty quickly if you only developed products that 1% of your market could use! haha

User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:46 pm

Post by harryo40 » Mon May 23, 2011 5:12 pm

Hi Jason,
I reported this as a minor bug in the SVN bug forum here http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 20#p156550
JasonSGN wrote:When successfully adding items to your shopping cart, the yellow "attention" bar displays at the top. I've adjusted lines 326 and 328 in catalog\view\theme\default\template\product\product.tpl, but that doesn't change effect when adding items from the Best Seller, Featured, Latest or Specials Modules.

Using svn293.
Just to let you know, you also need to change the 'attention' part in certain places to 'success' in the catalog/view/javascript/common.js file as well ;)

Add To Cart Confirm Ajax Popup for OC 1.5.1.3 --> 1.5.5.1 - Add to Cart Confirmation Popup
Image Map Banner Module - Image Map Banner Module
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Womens Famous Name Fashion Clothing at bargain prices - Next2nowt.com


Active Member

Posts

Joined
Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:37 am
Location - Blackburn, Lancashire

Post by michelk » Mon May 23, 2011 7:33 pm

I installed 1.5 to test OpenCart. I really like it but I now realize it's far from prime time. I have already set up a quite simple store (couple of products and options) and I am wondering what pathway you suggest to go back to a fully supported version? I have no templates.

Also based on past experience when do you think might be ready for prime time?

Thanks

http://www.emediacart.com
The emediaCart solution is a plug-n-play hardware-software e-commerce solution. It features a computer the size of a matchbox (4" x 2.5" x 2") running Linux and OpenCart.

Coming soon... emediaBackpack, the only automatic, encrypted, remote service for all OpenCart installations. PM me for more info.


Newbie

Posts

Joined
Mon May 23, 2011 7:26 pm

Post by JasonSGN » Mon May 23, 2011 8:02 pm

harryo40 wrote:Hi Jason,
I reported this as a minor bug in the SVN bug forum here http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 20#p156550

Just to let you know, you also need to change the 'attention' part in certain places to 'success' in the catalog/view/javascript/common.js file as well ;)
Thank you!!! I was looking all over for that.

New member

Posts

Joined
Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:15 am

Post by opencartisalright » Mon May 23, 2011 9:00 pm

gocreative wrote:You'd also be out of business pretty quickly if you only developed products that 1% of your market could use! haha
Well if my market were Asian pirates or corporations too lazy to get off IE6 then yeah I guess you're right. Good thing I don't cater to those markets. :)

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:09 am

Post by opencartisalright » Mon May 23, 2011 9:12 pm

michelk wrote:I installed 1.5 to test OpenCart. I really like it but I now realize it's far from prime time. I have already set up a quite simple store (couple of products and options) and I am wondering what pathway you suggest to go back to a fully supported version? I have no templates.
I hope you didn't erase your 1.4 shop and try to start from fresh with 1.5. If not you can just download 1.4.9.5 and start from fresh with that. If you deleted your 1.4 shop thinking 1.5 was going to be ready...well, have fun setting your 1.4 shop up all over again. Hopefully you made backups of your database and modified files.
michelk wrote:Also based on past experience when do you think might be ready for prime time?
On Dec. 22, 2012, ummmm, oh wait, mayan calendar, apocalyptic destruction, yeah that might not work out after all...

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:09 am

Post by buckmajor » Mon May 23, 2011 10:14 pm

opencartisalright wrote:
michelk wrote:Also based on past experience when do you think might be ready for prime time?
On Dec. 22, 2012, ummmm, oh wait, mayan calendar, apocalyptic destruction, yeah that might not work out after all...
False prophecy, it will be ready next week ;D....sweet can't wait ;)

http://www.dmaireroa.com


New member

Posts

Joined
Tue May 04, 2010 11:29 am
Location - Brisbane

Post by opencartisalright » Mon May 23, 2011 10:33 pm

buckmajor wrote:
opencartisalright wrote:
michelk wrote:Also based on past experience when do you think might be ready for prime time?
On Dec. 22, 2012, ummmm, oh wait, mayan calendar, apocalyptic destruction, yeah that might not work out after all...
False prophecy, it will be ready next week ;D....sweet can't wait ;)
But I asked my Magic 8-Ball and it said "Outlook not so good" :-\

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:09 am

Post by karl » Tue May 24, 2011 6:30 am

But I asked my Magic 8-Ball and it said "Outlook not so good" :-\
I hear you Magic 8-Ball. I'm no Microsoft fan either :)

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:03 am

Post by russiant » Tue May 24, 2011 1:59 pm

Don't mean to come across as arrogant, i am not really familiar with all aspects associated with opencart history and functionality. But I am about to decide on the shopping cart for my business and i just can't rely on a system that is developed by 1.5 guys and point releases take months to get out.
I think i am going with prestashop. their addons are a bit more expensive, but i just can't wait anymore for the latest stable system.

Newbie

Posts

Joined
Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:27 am

Post by i2Paq » Tue May 24, 2011 2:26 pm

russiant wrote:I think i am going with prestashop. their addons are a bit more expensive, but i just can't wait anymore for the latest stable system.
The latest STABLE release is 1.4.9.5!

You think that the latest release of PS is stable?
Ever looked ad PS and their bloated releases and their crappy way of templating?

You all seem to forget that OpenCart is FREE, instead of complaining maybe a donation for all the hard work until now is more appropriate.

Personally I really care less if people with an attitude like yours leave.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.


User avatar
Global Moderator

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:00 pm
Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by daza2304 » Tue May 24, 2011 5:10 pm

i2paq, Well said, i have actually tried PS and compared to OC its rubbish, i also totally agree with donations, all the developers of opencart do this in there OWN time, they dont get paid for it, and all i see on these forums is people moaning for a release date, the people who keep asking need to wake up and respect all the developers... they have put alot of man hours into this project and need to be left alone to finish it.

New member

Posts

Joined
Sun May 24, 2009 9:54 pm

Post by yrshopping » Tue May 24, 2011 5:26 pm

i agree it. thank you OC team.

New member

Posts

Joined
Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:42 pm

Post by audiomarket » Tue May 24, 2011 5:49 pm

I agree, but i2paq always wants to make a moral to others.
I do not put more in this forum. ,,, just waiting for new releases

New member

Posts

Joined
Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:55 am

Post by opencartisalright » Tue May 24, 2011 7:53 pm

i2Paq wrote:
russiant wrote:I think i am going with prestashop. their addons are a bit more expensive, but i just can't wait anymore for the latest stable system.
The latest STABLE release is 1.4.9.5!

You think that the latest release of PS is stable?
Ever looked ad PS and their bloated releases and their crappy way of templating?

You all seem to forget that OpenCart is FREE, instead of complaining maybe a donation for all the hard work until now is more appropriate.

Personally I really care less if people with an attitude like yours leave.
I think it's funny how people think the developers of OC are doing it solely from the goodness of their hearts.

Wake up people, Daniel makes money from advertisements on this site. He makes money from the extensions store. I'm sure he charges professional fees when providing more in depth support for those that need more power out of OpenCart and require his service. Not to mention, at some point down the road, if OC keeps growing like it is, then it will probably get venture capitalist backing, or Daniel will just sell it and live the high life in Hong Kong.

Speaking of Hong Kong, it's ranked the 9th most expensive city in the world to live in. London is ranked the 17th. Considering Daniel just moved from London to Hong Kong, well, he must be doing something right with OC.

Q has some of the best made extensions around for OpenCart. I'm pretty sure he's making a decent living from his extension sales. Not to mention he probably does private development too for people who need custom work.

Don't misunderstand me, I appreciate the developers of OpenCart and all they do to make it that much better than the rest, but I'm also not delusional. I know they are not doing it simply "for fun" any longer. I think it's funny there are people who actually think the developers get no financial gain from OC and simply make it so the rest of us can make money.

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:09 am

Post by opencartisalright » Tue May 24, 2011 8:03 pm

Oh yeah, what happened to the 1.5 bug threads? Are they being merged together now with the 1.4 bug threads?

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:09 am
Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests