Post by partyworlduk » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:39 pm

Hiya all.

I have used oscommerce for a few years but am switching to opencart.

But I am struggling with Royal Mail shipping charges. I have read that the shipping charges are taken direct from Royal Mail and are wrong. Is there any way that I can change that and input my own charges for 1st class recorded 2nd class etc.

Be gentle with me I am new here lol

[url]http:partyworlduk.net[/url]

Post by partyworlduk » Sun May 02, 2010 12:45 am

bump

[url]http:partyworlduk.net[/url]

Post by scoop » Sun May 02, 2010 1:16 am

Go into admin panel , then admin ? localisation > geo zone then create a new geo zone or edit a previous one.
e.g 1st class royla mail, then2 nd class.

Post by dragonfly » Sun May 02, 2010 3:17 am

partyworlduk wrote:Hiya all.

I have used oscommerce for a few years but am switching to opencart.

But I am struggling with Royal Mail shipping charges. I have read that the shipping charges are taken direct from Royal Mail and are wrong. Is there any way that I can change that and input my own charges for 1st class recorded 2nd class etc.

Be gentle with me I am new here lol
Hi, I'm also trying to get the Royal Mail module to do exactly what I'd like it to do at the moment.
The RM charges are NOT taken directly from RM but are set in this file: catalog/model/shipping/royal_mail.php
Here you can set the charges you want to charge, based on weight.

I need rates for First Class and First Class Recorded that take packing/handling into account. As all my items are the same weight, I set each of them up as weighing 0.1kg.
By multiplying the nr of items by 0.1kg and adding something for packaging I can set my own rates.

I'm also adding Royal Mail Special Delivery 1PM and Royal Mail Special Delivery Saturday by renaming the two Second Class options that are part of the RM module in OC.
Rates to reflect the premium cost can then be set in the same royal_mail.php file.

If you're looking for Isle of Man or Channel Islands in the list of UK regions, don't bother - they're not there (nor are Cumbria and a few others that really ought to be part of OC as standard).
They can be added (do a search in the OC forum for the solution) - I'm planning to do this if it rains over the Bank Holiday!

Hope that helps. :)

Location - Wiltshire, UK

Post by dragonfly » Sun May 02, 2010 3:40 am

Oh dear, I've found another peculiarity with the Royal Mail module (is this a bug?):

OC neatly selects the correct shipping options based on the delivery address, eg when ordering items to be sent outside the UK it automatically removes any UK delivery services such as First Class etc. It also nicely offers Airsure as an option to the correct countries.

However, when ordering items to be sent to a UK address, it still insists on listing 'Airmail' and 'International Signed For' as options. ??? :(

Does anyone know if this is an error on my part, of if it's incorrectly coded into OC? (can't find anything on this in the forums)
My UK customers are unlikely to select 'Airmail' when placing an order, but it looks unprofessional and is potentially confusing. Don't wanna give anyone an excuse to empty their cart!!

I too am new to OC and I don't (yet) know how to solve this myself.
Any suggestions from experts very welcome! ;)

Cheers

PS: I've been playing with OC since 1.4.0 and love it - such a breath of fresh air after testing quite a few other 'solutions'.
Absolutely BRILLIANT shopping cart - thank you Daniel and others!

Location - Wiltshire, UK

Post by lashman » Wed May 12, 2010 6:35 am

I understand from the search that Royal Mail postal rates are api and set automatic, is this true?
The rates do not take into consideration the packaging costs. My options are:
Option 1. increase prices to include this (Which I would rather not)
Option 2. Use weight Based shipping and not Royal Mail
My question 1 is - Can I set my own Royal Mail Rates? if so where.
My question 2 is - The postage options do not include Special Delivery, could I alter one of the other ones (Ist Class Recorded for example) to Special Delivery.
Lashman

Location - North Yorkshire

Post by Qphoria » Wed May 12, 2010 7:52 am

No. Royal Mail oddly doesn't have a public API. Makes me wonder how they stay in business...
The rates are hardcoded in the code at this point. I will be improving this slightly to allow you to enter your own rates in the future. But it is all manual and you can then change it as needed. Pretty much the same thing as the existing Weight Based option now.

Administrator

Post by dragonfly » Wed May 12, 2010 8:16 am

Hi Q

Would you know how I should alter the /catalog/model/shipping/royal_mail.php file so that the UK is no longer treated as a shipping destination for the international shipping options? (Airmail, Int'l Signed For and Airsure)?

At the moment, someone buying an item from a UK-based shop for delivery to the UK gets presented at checkout with the international shipping options, in addition to the normal, domestic options.
I'm trying to suppress the international shipping for orders within the UK from my UK shop.

OC147 looks for the 2-letter country codes to determine which shipping options to offer at checkout. These lists of country codes correctly specify countries within the EU (for Royal Mail shipping purposes) and for the Airsure option.
What it doesn't do is filter out the UK from the 'all other country codes'.

I've successfully altered shipping rates and created new shipping options (by renaming some of the existing ones I wasn't using), but I cannot figure out how to tell OC not to treat the UK as a 'rest of world' shipping destination..... :(

Cheers!

BTW: thanks for all your hard work on the roadmap for OC and the brilliant improvements that are being included!

Rachel

Location - Wiltshire, UK

Post by borys » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:01 pm

dragonfly wrote:Oh dear, I've found another peculiarity with the Royal Mail module (is this a bug?):

OC neatly selects the correct shipping options based on the delivery address, eg when ordering items to be sent outside the UK it automatically removes any UK delivery services such as First Class etc. It also nicely offers Airsure as an option to the correct countries.

However, when ordering items to be sent to a UK address, it still insists on listing 'Airmail' and 'International Signed For' as options. ??? :(
I came across similar issue and tried to solve it... this is my solution:

Open file 'catalog/model/shipping/royal_mail.php' and find this line (it's line 336 in OpenCart 1.4.9.3):

Code: Select all

if ($this->config->get('royal_mail_international_signed')) {
Edit this line so it looks like the one below:

if ($this->config->get('royal_mail_international_signed') && $address['iso_code_2'] != 'GB') {
After this edit Royal Mail 'International Signed' option is no longer displayed with addresses from UK.
Hope this helped... O0

...and if you want to go further, I've made another small edit of the same file... this is the situation: we needed that there are 2 shipping options for orders with value under £41 ('First Class Standard Post' and 'First Class Recorded Post') and only 1 shipping option for orders with value over £41 (just 'First Class Recorded Post' as for insurance).

To assure this I changed a condition on line 26 (OpenCart 1.4.9.3) from:

if ($this->config->get('royal_mail_1st_class_standard') && $address['iso_code_2'] == 'GB') {
to:

if ($this->config->get('royal_mail_1st_class_standard') && $address['iso_code_2'] == 'GB' && $sub_total < 41 ) {

projects: RC cars, víno

Location - Czech Republic

Post by dragonfly » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:19 am

That works great for me! (the code is identical to that in 1.4.7 which I am using)
Thanks so much for sharing - it's really useful.
:)

Location - Wiltshire, UK

Post by richardhirst » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:14 am

Thanks borys, worked a treat!

Post by sokanso » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:12 am

thanks man it helps me alot ;D