Post by zollgut » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:44 am

Hi, can anyone tell me how to add the Meta Keyword tag to all pages (shop front, product pages, information pages, and category pages)?

I know I'll need to add the fields in the database for each page, but what Opencart files do I need to modify to get them to work?

I know they are not really important nowadays but still good to have for some of the smaller engines.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Post by Daniel » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:26 am

Do you really need meta keywords?

they are so uless since only a few of the more abstract search engines use them and yahoo.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by zollgut » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:44 pm

Thanks for the reply Daniel.

Yes I would like to have a meta keywords field for the smaller search engines and specifically Yahoo.

Also later I want to add a custom title field for the page Title tags so I'd like to know what to do to add custom fields.

Many Thanks :)

Post by zollgut » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:13 am

Can anyone offer help how i can do this? (add custom title and keyword field in admin for products, categories and information pages)? These will then be called in the template of the website (layout.tpl)

Many Thanks

Post by Skyhigh » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:10 am

Although keywords are often considered 'defunct' now in SEO - they can still sometimes help....and if search engines ignore them, then they don't hurt. :)

I'd love the option to add keywords in, and make them searchable too - this would let me tag up products with other spellings/variations too - that I can't put into the item description.

LoveMoissanite.com - Moissanite Rings - Proudly Powered by Opencart
[How To] Speed Up Page Content with Opencart - Opencart advocate since 2009

Post by COMPACTER » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:30 am

Ok those that say keywords are useless are those that make no money on websites.

Google the TOP search engine relies on keywords for searching, where the hell do you live that you state keywords are useless?? get a reality check.

Someone post on this thread a response rather then stupidity.

keywords are what brings customers in, that is what people use to search for something they need.

Go to any search engine and type in anything for searching and that my friend is a keyword being used.

Someone please either post a reply with helping instructions or edit the template to add this field.

ImageCDM Sales & Services. "Get Connected to What Matters!"

Location - bolton, on

Post by Xsecrets » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:40 am

COMPACTER wrote:Google the TOP search engine relies on keywords for searching, where the hell do you live that you state keywords are useless?? get a reality check.
indeed you need a reality check as you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Google has not used keywords for many years now. the only place they use keywords at all are on some of their corporate search devices for intranets. Their internet search engine does not use keywords at all.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by COMPACTER » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:08 pm

Your the one that needs a serious reality check, go to google and type in any word my friend and that is a keyword used when you search. for example if you go to google and type in CDM Sales you will get my company and that is A KEYWORD.

For you to say that google no longer uses keywords is incorrect my friend go learn some more. Every site no matter what site needs a keyword tool built into the template.

maybe you should read soem more online. Here is some basics for you to read.

http://www.seomoz.org/article/search-ranking-factors

Location - bolton, on

Post by Qphoria » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:07 pm

LOL this is fun.

"Meta Keywords" are NOT used by google to rank or index searches.

Straight from the horse's mouth:
http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot. ... a-tag.html

Administrator

Post by Xsecrets » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:53 pm

COMPACTER wrote:Your the one that needs a serious reality check, go to google and type in any word my friend and that is a keyword used when you search. for example if you go to google and type in CDM Sales you will get my company and that is A KEYWORD.

For you to say that google no longer uses keywords is incorrect my friend go learn some more. Every site no matter what site needs a keyword tool built into the template.

maybe you should read soem more online. Here is some basics for you to read.

http://www.seomoz.org/article/search-ranking-factors
yes of course the user of google enters a keyword into thier search bar, but google does not use "meta keywords" to affect the ranking as linked above.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by COMPACTER » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:01 am

So explain to me then when i modded the script to add a meta keyword for one product i then later searched in google for the exact product i search earlier without a keyword all of a sudden the item was listed in google's search?? what was that then? immaculate conception?

Location - bolton, on

Post by Qphoria » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:28 am

No matter how hard you try, you just can't convince an ignorant person that they are wrong...

Administrator

Post by COMPACTER » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:31 pm

Who you calling ignorant?

explain to me how then do you get your site ranked higher in google if not for keywords?

also explain to me then how does google use adwords?

Location - bolton, on

Post by mwaste » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:04 am

I just installed OpenCart for the first time and added this to product pages and the admin section. :)

I know they're not used by Google, but some people still want meta keywords.

It is a pretty simple mod, I'll post the files and lines that need adding, and then single database alternation you need to do as soon as I can.

Location - Toronto, Canada

Post by webstudent1 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:22 pm

mwaste wrote:I just installed OpenCart for the first time and added this to product pages and the admin section. :)

I know they're not used by Google, but some people still want meta keywords.

It is a pretty simple mod, I'll post the files and lines that need adding, and then single database alternation you need to do as soon as I can.
I WOULD LOVE IT if you could post that info.

I was thinking of adding that. I figures adding it to the DB would be a similar db entry to meta description.
The form from admin-->product can also be used from the meta description. I just haven't figured out what files to put all this in yet. You help would be awesome.

I don't really care what people say about google. I am learning web design and seo. I have picked up a client for learning this from. Their current webdesigner still suggests using keywords as other search engines that bring 20-40% of traffic (from ga).

Adjusting meta keywords and meta descriptions and page contect on the client site scored him a #2 in google.

Thanks
Webstudent1

Post by Daniel » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:26 pm

google and other search engines use the content on the site and not whats in the keyword tag. if some one is searching for a precise sentence then they want to see the content where the sentence is. you need to laern about keyword density etc.. if you want to move up in the rankings. keyword meta tag does nothing!

keyword meta tag was around in the 90's then went defunct.

Were ever you have got your information from it is wrong. its the blind leading the blind.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by DannyMacD » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:03 am

man... COMPACTER

what a jerk! dude seriously your talking with people that do this day in.. day out...

just to help and prove a point (from google themselves)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK7IPbnm ... r_embedded

have a little listen to this, tuck your tale, and stop being an arse to some great developers..

O0

Post by webstudent1 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:32 pm

I want to add meta keywords for a few reasons. it isn't just for search engines. it will provide a per product group of tags than can be used in a sidebar module to put the tags on the page in text. this means your tags become additional indexable content

Post by mwaste » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:07 am

Run this:

Code: Select all

ALTER TABLE `product_description` ADD `meta_keywords` VARCHAR( 255 ) CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci NOT NULL 
In admin/controller/catalog/products.php in getForm() add:

$this->data['entry_meta_keywords'] = $this->language->get('entry_meta_keywords');
in admin/langauge/english/catalog/products.php add:

$_['entry_meta_keywords']    = 'Meta Keywords:';
add this to the getProduct() in admin/model/catalog/products.php in the insert to producst_description and in the editProduct() function:

. "', meta_keywords = '" . $this->db->escape($value['meta_keywords']) .
Add this to the array in getProductsDescription():

'meta_keywords'    => $result['meta_keywords'],
Add this to admin/view/template/catalog/product_form.php before or after the meta description:

<tr>
              <td><?php echo $entry_meta_keywords; ?></td>
              <td><textarea name="product_description[<?php echo $language['language_id']; ?>][meta_keywords]" cols="40" rows="5"><?php echo isset($product_description[$language['language_id']]) ? $product_description[$language['language_id']]['meta_keywords'] : ''; ?></textarea></td>
            </tr>
in catalog/controller/product/product.php add:

$this->document->keywords = $product_info['meta_keywords'];
in catalog/view/theme/default/template/common/header.tpl add before/after the meta description:

<?php if ($keywords) { ?>
<meta name="keywords" content="<?php echo $keywords; ?>" />
<?php } ?>
That should probably do it. Let me know if it doesn't work, I might have missed something. Pretty easy mod though. You can do the same thing for categories/brands/etc.

Location - Toronto, Canada

Post by webstudent1 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:12 am

Thank you so much.

It all looks right. I was ready to add this way back but been sidetracked on other mods. will be adding this this week.

TYTYTY