Post by JoaniesGifts » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:54 pm

Hi Everyone,

I've started looking into SEO for my shop and I just wanted to ask a question relating to Google Pagerank as seen with tools such as SEQQuake for Firefox.

My Gift Shop has been live I guess about a year and it had a major rework last October. I'm running a customised 1.4.9.4.

I have noticed that my homepage is Pagerank2, my Category Pages are Pagerank1 and my Product pages all have a pagerank of N/A. The N/A is the part that concerns me - especially as it's my product pages as i want these pages to start ranking.

I have asked various people about this and get mixed messages. One person informed me that as my product pages use Canonical links so i will never get Pagerank! A number of other people suggested that I ignore my pagerank stats..

Hope somebody in the know can advise me what I can do to improve my sites seo and ranking.

Kind Regards,
Joan
Last edited by JoaniesGifts on Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thoughtful Gifts by Joanie's Gifts - The Thought Counts...

Location - UK

Post by labeshops » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:19 pm

I am not sure if pagerank ranks catalog pages. Even product pages that have been online for more than 5 years on my non-opencart store, gothicplus.com, shows pagerank n/a. Yet I get a ton of sales.

So my thought is not to worry about it much.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.9 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by JoaniesGifts » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:04 pm

Hi Labelshops, thanks for the reply.

Yeah i'm trying not to worry. Trouble is other shops don't have this problem such as www.traditionalshaving.co.uk
I saw that they used to have this problem (they posted on a google forum) and now seem to have a high pr for their product pages.

The more i think about it, the more i'm wondering if it's to do with internal linking.

Kind Regards,
Joan

Location - UK

Post by Moggin » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:10 am

JoaniesGifts wrote:
I have asked various people about this and get mixed messages. One person informed me that as my product pages use Canonical links so i will never get Pagerank! A number of other people suggested that I ignore my pagerank stats..
Hi Joan....hmm, whoever said that about canonical links surely got it back to front :D

link rel="canonical" is a way to tell search engines this is the definitive page, so you can skip all those others that look like duplicate content.. Ref: http://support.google.com/webmasters/bi ... wer=139394

I have heard the same as you about PageRank stats, especially within the Google toolbar. My view is - Google is not giving anything away for free, whatever we like to think. Their advice to provide good, unique content for users and pay attention to title, meta tag and URL structure is perhaps the best they will offer us.

Your point about internal linking sounds interesting. Some do suggest that internal links are important (and external ones of course.... if you can get them).

Post by JoaniesGifts » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:17 pm

Thanks for the reply Moggin.

Regarding the internal linking of opencart, I have been looking into how my links breakdown and it seems to average like this (according to google webmaster tools):-

links to homepage - 9,447
links to a category page - 5,786
links to a featured product page 3,118 (appears on homepage or sidebar)
links to a typical product page 28

Do you think this is typical of opencart stores? From a google perspetive I guess opencart is telling Google that our product pages are not relevant compared to the website as a whole.

This argument seems reinforced by the fact that category pages have pagerank and products don't..

I'd be interested to hear out other stores compare to my metrics above.

Kind Regards,
Joan

Location - UK

Post by labeshops » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:45 pm

That's an interesting idea about links.

How did you find that sort of breakdown in webmaster tools? My internal links doesn't break down like that - but most pages average about 4k links, product pages about 1k links.

Also, how did you add canonical links to your product pages? I was wondering about doing that, but couldn't figure out an easy way to do it in oc. (I found this vqmod for conancals so ignore this question :) http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=45677)

I did notice that shaving site has a lot of reviews for pretty much every product - I wonder if that affects it as well? Might count as original content??

Running Opencart v3.0.3.9 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by Moggin » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:18 am

For interest: Google have rolled out around 40 changes in the past few weeks.
http://insidesearch.blogspot.co.uk/2012 ... anges.html

With respect to links, they say, very casually:
We have changed the way in which we evaluate links; in particular, we are turning off a method of link analysis that we used for several years.
I'm also noticing some attempts to tailor results to location - presumably via your IP address. But it seems harder to select for a particular country.

If you want to select for the UK you have to be determined about it, then - even if you use google.co.uk - it defaults back to 'the web' when you choose a new search term. I don't know how long this has been going on, but it doesn't help much from a user or business perspective.

Seems that if you're serving the local community you should do well: if you're serving a country, you have to do battle with businesses worldwide who use the same keywords you do!

Post by JoaniesGifts » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:14 pm

Thanks Moggin, both of your posts have been really useful.
I hadn't realised Google was changing so much recently so I will keep a closer eye on my traffic.
I'm still convinced internal linking in my version of opencart needs some work so I guess I'll start trying some experiments.

Kind Regards
Joan

Location - UK