Post by Shopdiscuss » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:39 pm

I have to say that the SEO url's is a great new feature but I found something that need to be fixed to avoid duplicate content of product pages.

When I click from the homepage to a product named "Garden-Tool" the URL looks like: webshop.com/Garden-Tool
When I click from a category to the same product the URL will look like: webshop.com/category-here/Garden-Tool

The result is two the same pages on two different URL's and Google won't like that due duplicate content..

Is there a way to easily fix this? Would be awsome...

Post by Xsecrets » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:41 pm

all product pages have a canonical meta tag, so google will not get confused or penalize you for duplicate content.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by Shopdiscuss » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:57 pm

Okay, but if I'm right the canonical URL's tells Google to index the webshop.com/product URL's instead of the /category/product URL's. So in this case you will miss the SEO keywords in the categories.

Is there maybe another way to just have one single URL for each product? Like a simple htaccess rewrite that redirects shop.com/product to shop.com/category/product ?

Post by Xsecrets » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:16 am

Shopdiscuss wrote:Okay, but if I'm right the canonical URL's tells Google to index the webshop.com/product URL's instead of the /category/product URL's. So in this case you will miss the SEO keywords in the categories.

Is there maybe another way to just have one single URL for each product? Like a simple htaccess rewrite that redirects shop.com/product to shop.com/category/product ?
It is simply not possible to have unique non duplicate content and use the category because opencart allows you to put a product in multiple categories, so there is no way for the system to know which category you would want in the url.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by Shopdiscuss » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:26 am

Allright I get it. Thanks for your help so far.

I think some kinda 'head' category needs to be made then for each product. You know the longer the URL, the more Google think it's a specific page which searchers need (with a limit ofcourse). So if the indexed product URL's is shop.com/productname you will have less chance against the competitor who has shop.com/keywords-category/productname.

Maybe there could be a solution to make /headcategory/productname the only page to be indexed if people want to?

Post by Daniel » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:06 pm

its never been about having keywords in urls. its about have unique content in your product descriptions.

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by leandromello » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:05 pm

I´m sorry but I can´t understand how to solve this problem.
How to not have duplicate urls/title?

Post by VictorDrummond » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:41 pm

This is what I use and it works a treat:

http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... on_id=4225

Hosting for Oc 2.x: Well tested on 2.03.1 including emails work correctly, cPanel Shared or WHM VPS, managed security, fast & reliable SSD drives, Raid 10 /4 disk redundancy, server locale - Texas, contact me to discuss further.

Location - On the balcony slammin' Margaritas