Post by Qphoria » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:03 pm

A lot of people have complained about live rate shipping modules not taking into effect the individual product dimensions. The main reason for this is due to the NP-HARD fundamental of all the different possibilities of packaging multiple items into pre-determined box sizes.

So I've been doing some research on the matter and found a few box calculation classes. One in particular that seemed to be well written is this one: https://github.com/yetzt/boxing/blob/ma ... .class.php

This allows you to specify your available box sizes and then tries to calculate the total volume of the items to the available box sizes to quickly filter out any that are just too small. From there it calculates based on the individual dimensions and figures out how many boxes at a specific size are needed to fit all the items. This is where things get thick of course as there are virtually unlimited options to packaging, twisting, stacking, etc. But the class seems to do what it can to fit the packages in the box. It would then return the number of outer boxes and the dimensions of those boxes. That information would then be passed into UPS, USPS, Canada Post, FedEx, etc.

That would bring us as close as possible to having proper dimension based results.

Thoughts or other box classes that we should research?

Administrator

Post by scanreg » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:35 pm

This would be a great feature

Post by tildar » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:40 am

@Qphoria is this still something you are working towards implementing?

Post by Johnathan » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:54 am

Somehow I missed this thread way back when. I was just discussing this with a client yesterday, so it's definitely something I'll be looking into. I'll let you know if I come up with anything OpenCart-integratable.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by Qphoria » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:31 pm

It has been added to my next fedex update and then I will be adding support for it to canada post, ups deluxe, and usps.

Administrator

Post by Johnathan » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:09 am

Qphoria wrote:It has been added to my next fedex update and then I will be adding support for it to canada post, ups deluxe, and usps.
That would be great!

Administrator

Post by Qphoria » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:11 am

I'd actually like to add the class to the core and then have a packaging page that lets you enter all your box sizes. Then any future shipping extensions could be made to utilize this packaging class as part of the core api

Administrator

Post by rph » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:39 pm

Qphoria wrote:I'd actually like to add the class to the core
So have you forwarded it to Daniel so he can start completely rewriting it? ;)

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by Johnathan » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:56 pm

Qphoria wrote:I'd actually like to add the class to the core and then have a packaging page that lets you enter all your box sizes. Then any future shipping extensions could be made to utilize this packaging class as part of the core api
Even better! ;D

Administrator

Post by Qphoria » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:36 am

rph wrote:
Qphoria wrote:I'd actually like to add the class to the core
So have you forwarded it to Daniel so he can start completely rewriting it? ;)
haha nice... maybe after it is in he will

Administrator

Post by tildar » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:11 pm

Great news... I'm really looking forward to adding it to my site.

Post by vivekdbit » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:28 pm

Waiting for it....

Post by Qphoria » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:57 pm

Yea I guess I should finally get to this. Ok I'll take a look after I finish up the oc upgrade module.

Administrator

Post by rebdog » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:13 pm

Qphoria wrote:A lot of people have complained about live rate shipping modules not taking into effect the individual product dimensions. The main reason for this is due to the NP-HARD fundamental of all the different possibilities of packaging multiple items into pre-determined box sizes.

So I've been doing some research on the matter and found a few box calculation classes. One in particular that seemed to be well written is this one: https://github.com/yetzt/boxing/blob/ma ... .class.php
Have played around with the class and it is very quick for a few items but slows down when there are lots of items. I have modified it so that it can even deal with satchels, again very quick for a small number of items but slows down when you add a lot of items.

Anyway, Qphoria mentioned that this may get added into the core, has there been any progress on that?

I will add the packing class to the shipping module I am editing/writing for our shop, but would be nice if it was in the core.

I gather there would be some sort of "packing.php" file in the system/library directory

Product Options are another issue, they currently do not have any dimensions, does anyone know if this will likely change in the core or do I need to modify myself?

Cheers

Rebdog

Extra Product Tabs

Location - Auckland, New Zealand

Post by scanreg » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:27 pm

rebdog wrote:Product Options are another issue, they currently do not have any dimensions
good point

Post by elzo78 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:29 pm

i just came across this, has this been integrated yet? i am very interested.

Post by billynoah » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:40 pm

A bit late to the party here but I've been working on a simple box packing extension similar to what's been discussed here. It will be finished and available for OC v2+ in the next few days.

Regarding Options modifying dimensions, please see my extension here which has been out for some time and does just that:
http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... n_id=14111

Supports OCv1.5.4 - OCv2.0.3.1

Post by billynoah » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:03 am

The box packing extension mentioned above is complete and can be found here:
http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... n_id=23465

The algorithm I've used here does not use the library discussed above, but does a fairly decent job of estimating size, quantity and weight of boxes needed and does so very quickly regardless of cart quantities.