Post by ggrant3 » Thu May 16, 2024 7:47 pm

OC 3.0.3.9

So I've been setting up my shop (no live products or advertising yet) and I logged in today and see two people (well......bots, I guess) came in with a random string of letters/numbers as a customer name.

One setup an affiliate account, which I searched all around for and couldn't find. And the other processed a return request. Again, no live/active products, payment gateway, nothing is complete yet.

In the older OC versions that I've used, I never had affiliates setup. I want to say I commented out the link in the core files somewhere back then. Is that the only way to remove these links from appearing at the bottom of the page? Same with returns, should I comment out the link from appearing? If so, which file should I do that in?

Post by JNeuhoff » Thu May 16, 2024 7:53 pm

You may want to take a look at our SpamBot Buster tool which can prevent fake account registrations.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by ggrant3 » Thu May 16, 2024 8:34 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 7:53 pm
You may want to take a look at our SpamBot Buster tool which can prevent fake account registrations.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but that extension intercepts/re-directs their actions right?

What I mean is the bot would come to the site, fill out the contact us form (or whatever other action) and it just gets redirected to a spam folder or deleted, etc..- is that right?

If so, is there a way to capture the ip address (while it may be pointless and they can always use a new ip) but I'd also like a way to, over time at least, slow that type of traffic down.

I don't want it to become a bandwidth issue in the future with 1,000's of bots spamming the site and while it's great that I'm not getting the pointless emails, etc, I don't want to hosting company bothered by the amount of data being used.

Because on one of my current sites, I actually disabled the contact us form because of the amount of spam I was getting and the hosting company was saying I'd have to upgrade my package, just because of the traffic. So in essence I'd upgrade my hosting plan just to allow for the extra spam, which would just turn into a never ending cycle of more and more spam/bots.

Post by JNeuhoff » Thu May 16, 2024 9:33 pm

Well, the SpamBot Buster will remember the IP-addresses which can be blocked on a per initial session basis, or permanently.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by straightlight » Fri May 17, 2024 3:22 am

ggrant3 wrote:
Thu May 16, 2024 7:47 pm
OC 3.0.3.9

So I've been setting up my shop (no live products or advertising yet) and I logged in today and see two people (well......bots, I guess) came in with a random string of letters/numbers as a customer name.

One setup an affiliate account, which I searched all around for and couldn't find. And the other processed a return request. Again, no live/active products, payment gateway, nothing is complete yet.

In the older OC versions that I've used, I never had affiliates setup. I want to say I commented out the link in the core files somewhere back then. Is that the only way to remove these links from appearing at the bottom of the page? Same with returns, should I comment out the link from appearing? If so, which file should I do that in?
Lots of extensions can provide this functionality: https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... affiliates .

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom