Post by dantgk1 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:45 pm

Hi there

What are peoples current views on opencart v4? Is it worth setting up on v4 or is it better to be on v3?

I am looking to determine if I should spend development effort on adding v4 support to an extension I am responsible for.

Cheers

Post by Johnathan » Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:05 pm

The general consensus is to use 3.0.3.9 for now. You can get it here:

https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... ad/history

It is more stable, has PHP 8 support, and has been around longer, so there are more extensions for it. 4.0.2.3 is better than previous 4.0 versions, but still has some bugs to be fixed. Hopefully there will be a stable 4.0.3.0 version soon.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by paulfeakins » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:01 am

I'd agree with the above that I would use 3.0.3.9 for now but it's getting close to the point where 4 will be good to use for a new site.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by dantgk1 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:46 am

I appreciate the responses - many thanks

Post by ravikumar22 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:10 pm

dantgk1 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:45 pm
Hi there

What are peoples current views on opencart v4? Is it worth setting up on v4 or is it better to be on v3?

I am looking to determine if I should spend development effort on adding v4 support to an extension I am responsible for.

Cheers
Please also do check errors and bug list before moving to 4.x version in opencart here:-
viewforum.php?f=211&sid=746f976409710d4 ... 479a935815

:) :D :( :o OpenCart Support | Please email at: devinlabsolutions@gmail.com :drunk: :laugh: :)

Post by Uudruid74 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:27 pm

dantgk1 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:45 pm
Hi there

Cheers
I deeply regret using Opencart 4. I wasn't aware that it was basically Beta and most of the modules on the opencart store that advertise 4.x.x.x are just a lie. I don't know if Opencart added that tag to everything on purpose or if it was an accident, but as a new user I was unprepared for the lack of module support and trying to figure out why modules that claim to be for Opencart 4 won't install. It's been trying and it's ruined my whole experience with Opencart.

Post by by mona » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:07 pm

Uudruid74 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:27 pm
most of the modules on the opencart store that advertise 4.x.x.x are just a lie
I completely understand the confusion but 4.x.x.x is NOT OC4 it was a release in 2017 between 3.0.2.0 and 3.0.3.0 https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... ory&page=2

This is not the developers fault and it is not a lie, but it would be better if the marketplace changed that globally to avoid any further confusion.

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by paulfeakins » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:05 pm

by mona wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:07 pm
I completely understand the confusion but 4.x.x.x is NOT OC4 it was a release in 2017 between 3.0.2.0 and 3.0.3.0 https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... ory&page=2
Nice bit of info, I didn't know that.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Post by ADD Creative » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:07 pm

by mona wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:07 pm

This is not the developers fault and it is not a lie, but it would be better if the marketplace changed that globally to avoid any further confusion.
It's worse than that. If you download from that 4.x.x.x link on the downloads page, you get the latest development version from GitHub. It really needs to be removed from the downloads page and as an option for extension compatibility in the marketplace.

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by paulfeakins » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:27 pm

ADD Creative wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:07 pm
It's worse than that. If you download from that 4.x.x.x link on the downloads page, you get the latest development version from GitHub. It really needs to be removed from the downloads page and as an option for extension compatibility in the marketplace.
Has anyone mentioned this to Daniel? Seems like a good request.

Guru Member

Post by soscodes » Sat May 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Stay away from OpenCart, especially OpenCart 4. OpenCart officially released version 4.0.2.3 on their download page but did not mention that it is a beta version. We also wasted many months developing an application in OpenCart 4, but now forum users are saying that it is not stable. I messaged OpenCart on Facebook, and they said that it is stable and that the wrong information was posted by Journal theme merchants. However, it now seems that this is true: OpenCart 4 is not stable and may not be stable for many years to come. The last release was 8 months ago, and there is still no information on the next release date, or whether it will be stable.

Post by sonia0992alvarez » Wed May 22, 2024 12:45 pm

Hello, this side CostcoESS
The decision to support OpenCart v4 in your extension depends on several factors, including the needs of your user base and the specific features of v4. Here’s a summary of the current views and comparisons between OpenCart v3 and v4:

OpenCart v4:

It’s the latest version with improved performance and enhanced scalability.
Introduces new features like a notification system, GDPR tools, product variants, and a more organized store settings interface.
Includes a new directory structure for extensions, which are now housed in a separate /extension/ folder3.
Offers a more user-friendly interface and is designed to be more efficient.

OpenCart v3:

It’s a more established and stable version with a larger base of existing extensions and themes.
The community is more familiar with v3, which may result in a broader range of support options.
Considerations:

Compatibility: If your extension relies on features that have been significantly changed or removed in v4, you may need to invest more effort in updating it.
User Base: If a significant portion of your users are moving to v4 or requesting v4 compatibility, it may be worth the investment.
Future-Proofing: Supporting the latest version could be beneficial in the long run as the community transitions to v4.
Given that OpenCart v4 is relatively new, it may have more bugs and fewer extensions available compared to v3. However, it also represents the future direction of the platform. If you’re looking to maintain relevance and provide the best possible experience for users of your extension, it might be wise to start planning for v4 support.

Ultimately, the choice should align with your development resources and the demands of your extension’s user base. It might be helpful to gather feedback directly from your users to inform your decision.

Cheers!
Hope you had solved your issue!!

Best Regards
CostcoESS

Post by paulfeakins » Wed May 22, 2024 6:44 pm

soscodes wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 7:47 pm
Stay away from OpenCart, especially OpenCart 4. OpenCart officially released version 4.0.2.3 on their download page but did not mention that it is a beta version. We also wasted many months developing an application in OpenCart 4, but now forum users are saying that it is not stable. I messaged OpenCart on Facebook, and they said that it is stable and that the wrong information was posted by Journal theme merchants. However, it now seems that this is true: OpenCart 4 is not stable and may not be stable for many years to come. The last release was 8 months ago, and there is still no information on the next release date, or whether it will be stable.
No that's not really true.

The latest version of 4 still has some bugs but it is usable, the biggest problem is that it doesn't yet have OCMOD so most extension developers aren't upgrading their extensions because without OCMOD they have to be totally re-written.

The next release of OpenCart 4 will have OCMOD and at that point extensions will start to become available for it. This release is due soon.

Guru Member