Post by MajorPain » Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:49 am

Hoping some of you with more experience can share your experiences and suggestions for hosting.
Currently I have a VPS server with Hostgator and things are ok with them.
Think I've been with them for many many years but I've had issues.
I run intro issues with my IP getting blacklisted because other IP's within the same range are sending out spam mail and I get grouped into the entire range.
I've had a website hacked and trashed because according to Hostgator someone hacked into another website on the same server and injected files to gain access to all websites on the same server. Sounds more like a security issue on their end. We've had performance issues and slow page loads in the past mainly because we we on old servers and had ionode restrictions. They have since moved me to a newer server with somewhat better performance but it too has it's issues.

So I am wondering what others would suggest I consider. My opencart store is a business going almost 10 years now and I'd like to find better hosting, security, and price. At the moment I'm paying about $1100 USD. I don't know servers or what is best to run Opencart stores so welcome any insight. Right now I have 2 opencart stores and 2 wordpress websites. Most traffic is through the 1 Opencart store. The others are far less active.

Post by imdevlper18 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:19 pm

If you are a developer yourself, then Digitalocean is great in terms of pricing. As this needs to be self-managed. But the issues like blacklisting of IP address etc does not happen here. Been using it for the last 6 years for a very busy website.

If you do want to manage yourself, then Siteground and Fastcomet both are great.

I do have websites running on all the 3 servers and all are safe.
Please note if you install an extension that has malicious code. Any server can be affected.
Here one thing I found good with Siteground was they detect this malicious code instantly and stop that file from executing.
You get an alert email and you can easily clean up that code.

Opencart Extensions | Professional opencart support | Support Ticket | support@cartbinder.com

Post by MajorPain » Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:53 pm

I guess I worded my question wrong. Though I appreciate the opinion. I'm also wondering what to look for. Just a standard webhosting with WHM and cPanel access, or do you prefer cloud hosting or whatever else is available? Not a developer. Just running a couple business opencart websites.

Post by imdevlper18 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:26 pm

If you are running ecommerce websites and if they are busy websites. Cloud hosting is recommended.

If it's a mixture still cloud hosting is recommended. As still you have ecommerce.

Shared hosting is good if you have very low traffic. You can check Google analytics. If the traffic seems okay. Then shared hosting will do.

Not all host have whm. Some have just cPanel. So if you need WHM then check before purchasing.

For your case i think Fastcomet cloud should be good option. Ofcourse you select after your research. As good experience for me might not be same for others :)

Opencart Extensions | Professional opencart support | Support Ticket | support@cartbinder.com