Post by xtzfla » Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:02 am

Long time no seen ya all.
I have made a shop 5-6 years ago and owner left it aside.
Opencart 2.2.0.0 - journal theme and is working only with php 7.3 . I tried in the past to upgrade and kinda failed.
Since the owner wasn't active on his shop and had it all the time in maintenance mode, i did not had my atention on it as a developer.
Now he wants a fresh design and i want to move to a newer opencart, a new journal theme and a newer php version.
Since i missed some time in opencart i know it was really painful to make upgrades flawlessly.
What you suggest me to do?
Since i don't have to deal with customer database, only few hundred products in database.
But also the theme is translated in native romanian, so i donno if i can update journal theme and keep all those translations.
You suggest to install a fresh install then i update database with products? How can i proced with translations in journal.
I know you would suggest me to go and open a ticket to journal, just want someone that dealed with journal themes.
Thanks!

Post by JNeuhoff » Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:38 am

OpenCart 4 isn't yet quite ready for the live website, it is still subject to changes and bugfixes. If you are in a hurry, I suggest using the 3.0.3.8-based 3.0.x.x_Maintenance release. And do youself a favor and use a proper standard-compliant web theme and not the Journal3 framework, the latter isn't even supported here.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by xtzfla » Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:56 am

JNeuhoff wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:38 am
OpenCart 4 isn't yet quite ready for the live website, it is still subject to changes and bugfixes. If you are in a hurry, I suggest using the 3.0.3.8-based 3.0.x.x_Maintenance release. And do youself a favor and use a proper standard-compliant web theme and not the Journal3 framework, the latter isn't even supported here.
Thanks for lead!
And for 3.0.3.8 how the translation works ? Also which php version is recommended for 3.0.3.8?
I have php 7.3/8.0/8.1/8.2 installed on a lamp ubuntu server 20.04,
I'll look into a more standard theme, i know it is a pain in the ass journal theme in terms of future proof. But if i redesign entire website, i'll check a standard theme supported by opencart. Is there a suggestion for something remotely close to journal?

Post by JNeuhoff » Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:05 am

The 3.0.x.x_Maintenance release supports any of the PHP 7.4 to 8.2 versions.

As regards Journal: Are you talking about a theme, or specific extensions? There are plenty of standard-compliant themes, and other extensions available from the OpenCart marketplace.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member