Post by bigdm » Wed May 31, 2023 9:18 pm

Since last week, my site has randomly started eating up all the resources and crashing when a new order comes through?

Site has been ticking along nicely for months, NO new extension, NO code changes (yeah yeah it is a journal theme but no updates or even changed within it)

Any ideas??? it does it on updating status too, however new order instantly overloads the db, until it can no longer connect... Once back online order is there no issues with it at all

Currently running version 3.3.7 php 7.3

UPDATE
Seems to cause an issue if add a new product or update stock too..
Almost anything that involved updating the DB?

Post by IP_CAM » Wed May 31, 2023 10:03 pm

Journal Theme OC Installations are not supported in the 'free' Forum Sections.

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by khnaz35 » Wed May 31, 2023 10:08 pm

bigdm wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 9:18 pm
Any error in your error_log? Check all of your logs there must be something going on.

Urgent Questions shoot here: khnaz35@gmail.com
Enjoy nature ;) :) :-*

Location - Malaysia

Post by bigdm » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:35 pm

IP_CAM wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 10:03 pm
Journal Theme OC Installations are not supported in the 'free' Forum Sections.
I am 99.9% sure this isnt a Journal issue, im well aware of how people feel about it, this site has been running fine until last week (no changes to oc or theme files)

Post by bigdm » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:38 pm

khnaz35 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 10:08 pm
bigdm wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 9:18 pm
Any error in your error_log? Check all of your logs there must be something going on.
Thats the worst part... NOTHING.. no errors at all other than MYSQL failed to connect once it crashes the db.. once mysql restarts itself or gets over itself = all is fine again until you try and New / update to orders or products.... then BOOM! u can watch the ram JUMP and keep rising until its the max! (normally site dies before that, but wont come back until it drops)

Post by ADD Creative » Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:51 pm

Have you done a CHECK TABLE? You can use phpMyAdmin to do this. Have you asked your host if they have any logs showing any errors?

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by bigdm » Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:02 pm

ADD Creative wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:51 pm
Have you done a CHECK TABLE? You can use phpMyAdmin to do this. Have you asked your host if they have any logs showing any errors?
YEP, no issues found

Post by khnaz35 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:07 pm

Indeed, it's akin to saying "I have a fever" without being able to point to any symptoms or causes. Just as a doctor would use a thermometer to measure body temperature or conduct blood tests to diagnose the cause of the fever, server logs play a similar role in diagnosing website issues. They record every action and event that happens on the server, which can provide valuable insights when something goes wrong.

For instance, if your website goes down unexpectedly, checking the server logs might reveal that it was due to a spike in traffic, or perhaps a specific error occurring in a plugin or theme. Without these logs, diagnosing the issue could be like trying to find a needle in a haystack - possible, but extremely time-consuming and difficult.

If your hosting provider is unable to provide access to these logs, it might be worth considering whether they are the best fit for your needs. A good hosting provider should offer comprehensive logging and be able to assist you in accessing and interpreting these logs. After all, in the world of website management, data and information are key to maintaining a healthy, functioning sit

Location - Malaysia

Post by bigdm » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:43 pm

khnaz35 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:07 pm
Indeed, it's akin to saying "I have a fever" without being able to point to any symptoms or causes. Just as a doctor would use a thermometer to measure body temperature or conduct blood tests to diagnose the cause of the fever, server logs play a similar role in diagnosing website issues. They record every action and event that happens on the server, which can provide valuable insights when something goes wrong.

For instance, if your website goes down unexpectedly, checking the server logs might reveal that it was due to a spike in traffic, or perhaps a specific error occurring in a plugin or theme. Without these logs, diagnosing the issue could be like trying to find a needle in a haystack - possible, but extremely time-consuming and difficult.

If your hosting provider is unable to provide access to these logs, it might be worth considering whether they are the best fit for your needs. A good hosting provider should offer comprehensive logging and be able to assist you in accessing and interpreting these logs. After all, in the world of website management, data and information are key to maintaining a healthy, functioning sit

Yes I fully understand this, i can assure you i have checked every log i can, also contacted host too.. Nothing actually pointing to the problem..

Error log = clear.. Right up until it crashes.. then "unable to connect to db errors" ... until it comes back!
Normally white page of death but sometimes 503 shows... until it returns.. Once it does all is well until the next crash which is normally when the next order comes in or something is updated!

Post by bigdm » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:57 pm

Note sure if this will help anyone.. but also on crashing.. Number of process jumps alot! from less than 5 to 30+

Im aware that is obviously whats maxing out the ram.. but didnt no if it was helpful rather than assuming 1process doing it

Post by JNeuhoff » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:11 pm

Check your server resources, you may have to upgrade your Web hosting package. Also, your website could be subjected to a bruteforce attack, you can easily see that in your server's raw access log! See also your oc_session DB table which will grow quickly during a bruteforce attack.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by bigdm » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:29 pm

I appreciate your response, however normal running its not using 20% of its allocated resources. As for brute force, i have done tons of tests the issue is 100% when the site trys to update to the db..

Site sites anywhere between 500mb - 1.5gb ram.. and less than 5 processes .... it will sit like that without an issue, nice and quick with no errors... UNTIL an order comes in.. then BANG.. ram and processes jump up and continue to climb until maxed out.. would appear db crashes before it maxes!

to me, that rules out bruteforce .. or just a resources issue... if i was using 80% all the time = maybe the blip is killing but that isnt the case.

logs show nothing odd.. that was my first concern.. i blocked a bunch of bots day 1, which i thought was the issue.. here i am on day 5 still not closer to solving it

Post by khnaz35 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:25 pm

Still we are not getting away anywhere with this. I have a suggestion. Lets install a fresh/clean opencart same version of your site in sub directory on your site and make test like placing orders and editing the product etc. If the same issue is happening then its diffently something under the hood and you need to bang the hosting provider head. If all goes well here then we need to look into your setup might be some extension or some theme have a bug which is causing this crash over and over.

Location - Malaysia

Post by bigdm » Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:57 pm

khnaz35 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:25 pm
Still we are not getting away anywhere with this. I have a suggestion. Lets install a fresh/clean opencart same version of your site in sub directory on your site and make test like placing orders and editing the product etc. If the same issue is happening then its diffently something under the hood and you need to bang the hosting provider head. If all goes well here then we need to look into your setup might be some extension or some theme have a bug which is causing this crash over and over.
yeah i think i am going to have to do this.. will try with default theme no extensions = same db 1st.. then take it from there

Post by paulfeakins » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:26 pm

bigdm wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:29 pm
logs show nothing odd.. that was my first concern.. i blocked a bunch of bots day 1, which i thought was the issue.. here i am on day 5 still not closer to solving it
You could try using CloudFlare and enabling Attack Mode.

Have a read of these:
https://www.antropy.co.uk/blog/admin-pa ... ce-attack/
https://www.antropy.co.uk/blog/speed-up ... ed-issues/

If that doesn't fix it you might need one of our Technical Audits:
https://www.antropy.co.uk/services/technical-audit/

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by khnaz35 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:41 pm

bigdm wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:57 pm
yeah i think i am going to have to do this.. will try with default theme no extensions = same db 1st.. then take it from there
First use the clean installation then only try to connect with old db and test.

Location - Malaysia

Post by SohBH » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:23 pm

To check for MySQL table corruption, you can use the "CHECK TABLE" command in MySQL.

Business Web Development | Content Creation | Analytics and Reporting | SEO

Location - Malaysia

Post by bigdm » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:10 pm

Still suffering here... been updated journal and been in contact with there devs they assure me its not there theme... Arguabling with all the changes when site is working its running well.. However soon as an order is placed = CRAZY

for the most part.. within a few secs of an order ram will spike and db will be lost... until it recovers

Post by JNeuhoff » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:50 am

bigdm wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:10 pm
Still suffering here... been updated journal and been in contact with there devs they assure me its not there theme... Arguabling with all the changes when site is working its running well.. However soon as an order is placed = CRAZY

for the most part.. within a few secs of an order ram will spike and db will be lost... until it recovers
Just for narrowing it down: Have you tried it with a standard theme, or least with the standard checkout instead of Journal's single-page checkout? The latter has known issues anyway.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by paulfeakins » Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:56 pm

bigdm wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:10 pm
Still suffering here...
Have you tried what has been suggested above?

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom