Post by flynth » Wed May 31, 2023 5:06 pm

Being new to opencart I wen't to their website and I found the version recommended for download is 4.0.2.1. So I started setting this up for myself and I started developing an extension I need. However, then I found various language related bugs, then I found this forum where various posters have said not to use version 4 but 3 instead. Most of those emails were ages ago. So I wonder. As opencart.com promotes 4.0.2.1. Is this a version that is ready for production use, or are users supposed to stay on 3.0.8 today end of May 2023.

Post by Johnathan » Wed May 31, 2023 9:33 pm

The consensus of developers (i.e. the people that actually work with OpenCart on a daily basis) is that 4.0.2.1 is not ideal for production. It still has a number of bugs, and while you *can* use it for a live store (and I know some people that are), you may run into problems down the road. The OpenCart owner and developer doesn't seem to think these bugs are a big deal, which is why they still promote it on opencart.com, but most developers believe otherwise. Consequently, most of us recommend that you are better off going with 3.0.3.8 at this point.

If you need a PHP 8 compatible version of 3.0.3.8, use this version: https://github.com/opencart/opencart/tr ... aintenance

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by flynth » Wed May 31, 2023 11:15 pm

Thank you for an answer. Pity. This is for a small new store that requires quite a bit of customisation and I'm new to opencart too. So writing lots of code that will be unusable on the current version doesn't seem like a good idea.

Post by khnaz35 » Wed May 31, 2023 11:24 pm

flynth wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 11:15 pm
Thank you for an answer. Pity. This is for a small new store that requires quite a bit of customisation and I'm new to opencart too. So writing lots of code that will be unusable on the current version doesn't seem like a good idea.
Hence stick with the 3.0.3.8 or master branch as suggested above

Urgent Questions shoot here: khnaz35@gmail.com
Enjoy nature ;) :) :-*

Location - Malaysia

Post by Johnathan » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:09 am

flynth wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 11:15 pm
Your efforts won't be wasted if you decide to use 3.0.3.8 --- there's no real reason you'd need to upgrade OpenCart 3.0.3.8 for the foreseeable future. There are still some people using the 1.5 branch of OpenCart, which is over a decade old. The only reason they're having to move is because of web hosting requirements related to PHP 8. Otherwise, 3.0.3.8 is stable and secure, so you only need to upgrade if you want to get some feature in 4.0 in the future.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by JNeuhoff » Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:34 am

OpenCart 4 is still subject to development and bugfixes, hence for the time being we'd recommend OpenCart 3.0.3.8 for live websites. Or the 3.0.x.x_Maintenance release which is based on 3.0.3.8, but with added support for PHP 8.x releases and some bugfixes.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by flynth » Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:18 pm

Thank you for clarification. They should really put that info on the main page.

I've wasted 2 days making a language extension for 4 (+1 github fix) that contains over 2k translated phrases. Except one bug (opencart builtin dashboard extensions don't pick up translations unless they're copied into their extension folder) it's pretty much done. Now I discover (thanks to this forum) I've made a mistake by going with the current version. Well, at least I discover it now, not after the site goes live.

So now I have to figure out how extensions work in 3.0.8. I'll be grateful if anyone can help me by answering this:
-Is there a way to run code on extension install/load?
- Is there an example language extension for 3.0.8?

A free one I downloaded didn't work. Also it required the user to add the language in the config while v4 example language extension does that by itself.

Post by JNeuhoff » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:17 pm

First of all, there is no 3.0.8 version, you probably meant 3.0.3.8 ?

There are plenty of language packs available for Opencart 3.0.3.8, check the Opencart marketplace for the ones you need!

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by flynth » Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:49 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:17 pm
First of all, there is no 3.0.8 version, you probably meant 3.0.3.8 ?

There are plenty of language packs available for Opencart 3.0.3.8, check the Opencart marketplace for the ones you need!
Yes, 3.0.3.8, not 3.0.8.

Unfortunately you didn't answer my question. Is it possible for extensions to run code on install/(or when enabled) in 3.0.3.8 to change the configuration?

I'm not interested in paying for a language extension (and inevitably having to work on it anyway).

Post by JNeuhoff » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:46 pm

Yes, an extension module can have install and uninstall functions, where you can do anything, such as storing some extension-specific settings or performing DB changes.

Guru Member

Post by michaelsen » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:10 am

I'm in the same boat. Installed v4.x, bought extensions and then realized that it wasn't suitable for a live site.
It would be great with a "latest stable version" link