Post by CzechOne » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:57 pm

I'd like to get my old, outdated version of OpenCart migrated into a newer version. Is there any detailed documentation available for a "do-it-yourself" migration of Opencart v1.5.6 to v3.0.3.8?

Or must I use litextension or other such similar, purchased software?
Last edited by CzechOne on Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Cue4cheap » Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:11 am

There isn't a clean instruction anywhere I know of. BUT there has been quite a few posts that include how to do this.
Mostly it is do a clean install.
Then there are things that are needed like the store config that might need to be put in by yourself.
The import/export tool will take care of products and customers.
Then the orders are your next issue but there are posts about how to do that too.
Do a search and you should find some topics.
Mike

cue4cheap not cheap quality

Expert Member

Post by paulfeakins » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:10 pm

CzechOne wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:57 pm
Is there any detailed documentation available for a "do-it-yourself" migration of Opencart v1.5.6 to v3.0.3.8?
Yep; rebuild it :laugh:

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by grgr » Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:38 pm

Rebuilding not needed, I did 1.5.4 to 3.0.something after trying import/export route and decided it would actually be quicker to updrade it than deal with the import/export issues that I had.

Cloned store, removed theme, thought sod it, lets see what the upgrade script does, it did something, then I fixed all the erorrs, reinstalled and/or re-wrote the modules, job done. Wasn't really that hard, but equally have no plans to ever do it again.

-
Image Image Image Image
VIEW ALL EXTENSIONS * EXTENSION SUPPORT * WEBSITE * CUSTOM REQUESTS

Location - UK

Post by paulfeakins » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:50 pm

grgr wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:38 pm
Rebuilding not needed, I did 1.5.4 to 3.0.something after trying import/export route and decided it would actually be quicker to updrade it than deal with the import/export issues that I had.

Cloned store, removed theme, thought sod it, lets see what the upgrade script does, it did something, then I fixed all the erorrs, reinstalled and/or re-wrote the modules, job done. Wasn't really that hard, but equally have no plans to ever do it again.
So in summary upgrading it was really hard, you had to re-write loads of stuff and solve loads of errors, and you wouldn't do it again but you'd still recommend it :laugh:

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Post by xxvirusxx » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:30 pm

CzechOne wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:57 pm
Or must I use litextension?
Better don't :laugh: :laugh:
Check my PM.

Upgrade Service | OC 2.3.0.2 PHP 8 | My Custom OC 3.0.3.8 | Buy me a beer

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by grgr » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:31 pm

paulfeakins wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:50 pm

So in summary upgrading it was really hard, you had to re-write loads of stuff and solve loads of errors, and you wouldn't do it again but you'd still recommend it :laugh:
Yes? It wasn't hard, Just took a while. Obviously I did it locally, not online. And most of the problems were with extensions, not the core. The store was up and running pretty quickly on the default theme, once the database had been sorted.

That was the hardest bit I guess as it didn't properly update the database. Did most of it but some bits were missing. I devised a fairly canny way of dealing with that which made it relatively easy to deal with. I would share what I did, but I've slept since, so no chance of me ever remembering what that was now.

-
Image Image Image Image

Location - UK

Post by paulfeakins » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:25 pm

grgr wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:31 pm
Yes? It wasn't hard, Just took a while. Obviously I did it locally, not online. And most of the problems were with extensions, not the core. The store was up and running pretty quickly on the default theme, once the database had been sorted.
There are many ways to do it, but we still think starting with a fresh install and migrating the data is probably the easiest and best way.

Guru Member

Post by CzechOne » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:35 pm

paulfeakins wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:25 pm
grgr wrote:
There are many ways to do it, but we still think starting with a fresh install and migrating the data is probably the easiest and best way.
Who is we?

Post by grgr » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:26 pm

paulfeakins wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:25 pm
grgr wrote:
Don't disagree in the slightest, just in this particular case the data migration was such a headache (it was originally an osCommerce store) it was way less of a headache (and probably quicker) to do the upgrade.

I would generally opt for a clean install.

-
Image Image Image Image

Location - UK

Post by paulfeakins » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:54 pm

CzechOne wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:35 pm
Who is we?
Me and my team: https://www.antropy.co.uk/meet-the-team/

Guru Member

Post by paulfeakins » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:55 pm

grgr wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:26 pm
Don't disagree in the slightest, just in this particular case the data migration was such a headache (it was originally an osCommerce store) it was way less of a headache (and probably quicker) to do the upgrade.
Ah yes makes sense!

Guru Member