Post by Johnathan » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:55 am

I've caught one of the users of my extensions installing them on multiple sites, which violates the opencart.com marketplace terms, as well as my own license agreement. If you have extensions sold to this person, you may want to check up to ensure he isn't installing your extension on multiple sites as well:

Username: Parimba79
E-mail Address:  paribello@bladeinformatica.it
Domain: bladeinformatica.info

As an example, here are some of the sites that he installed extensions on illegally:

campingsportmagenta.com
cusmai.com
feelyourlook.com
gp-motoricambi.it
sabaithaispa.com

I asked him to fix this by purchasing the additional licenses he needed --- twice --- but he ignored me both times. Word to the wise: steer clear of this web designer if possible.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by xxvirusxx » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:21 am

your extension call home? :)

Upgrade Service | OC 2.3.0.2 PHP 8 | My Custom OC 3.0.3.8 | Buy me a beer

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by Burt65 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:32 pm

Johnathan wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:55 am
I've caught one of the users of my extensions installing them on multiple sites, which violates the opencart.com marketplace terms, as well as my own license agreement. If you have extensions sold to this person, you may want to check up to ensure he isn't installing your extension on multiple sites as well:

Username: Parimba79
E-mail Address:  paribello@bladeinformatica.it
Domain: bladeinformatica.info

As an example, here are some of the sites that he installed extensions on illegally:

campingsportmagenta.com
cusmai.com
feelyourlook.com
gp-motoricambi.it
sabaithaispa.com

I asked him to fix this by purchasing the additional licenses he needed --- twice --- but he ignored me both times. Word to the wise: steer clear of this web designer if possible.
Hey Johnathan
If you can prove it, why not contacting directly his customers and let them know that you need to be paid for your extension by either themselves or the company they used to setup their website (a.k.a. bladeinformatica.it) and make sure that you clearly mention your intention of a possible legal action..
They also have a phone number: +39 035 1996 5830

I think you need to make more noise, if you catch my drift..

Over 95% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair...

Location - Oz

Post by Johnathan » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:34 pm

xxvirusxx wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:21 am
your extension call home? :)
My extensions use a license key for installation. If that license key is used on multiple sites, then yes I'm notified of that at the time the key is verified. I had to implement this kind of system specifically because I've caught so many web designers violating the license agreement in the past (via support requests for various domains). Other than that, my extensions do not "phone home" --- I'm pretty lenient about things until someone knowingly and purposefully violates the agreement.

Burt65 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:32 pm
Hey Johnathan
If you can prove it, why not contacting directly his customers and let them know that you need to be paid for your extension by either themselves or the company they used to setup their website (a.k.a. bladeinformatica.it) and make sure that you clearly mention your intention of a possible legal action..
They also have a phone number: +39 035 1996 5830

I think you need to make more noise, if you catch my drift..
Thanks for the suggestions --- I've considered doing that, but I don't have the time or resources to really pursue action like that in cases like this. It's an unfortunate downside to being a sole developer, there's not a lot we can feasibly do about stolen software, especially when it's in a different country. I barely have time to get through my e-mail every day. :)

Honestly, I'm not too concerned about the loss of revenue, I'm more bothered by the brazenness with which some web designers think they can just take other people's work without paying. I believe in honesty and decency in the way we treat each other, so it frustrates me when I'm reminded that (some) other people lack that baseline of respect.

Administrator

Post by xxvirusxx » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:58 pm

You can't disable license for other sore?

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by Johnathan » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:52 pm

My licenses are solely to control downloads, not extension functionality. Without encrypting the extension code, there's no way to make a secure license system in OpenCart --- someone with knowledge could easily remove the license verification from the code, and get the extension to run without a license. Because of that, I don't have any license checks in the extension itself.

If I did add a license feature like that without encrypting the extension, it would just make more headaches for myself and normal users, while someone with programming knowledge could still remove the license code and use the extension, if they were really motivated. That's why I only use it to control downloads. I know some other developers do that, but personally I'm not quite there yet.

I'm aware fraud is going to be perpetrated no matter how many checks I put in the code, so my goal is to minimize it, not completely eliminate it. An actual robust license system --- one that can definitely block someone from stealing the code --- is frankly impossible in open source software unless you encrypt the code, which I'm not going to do.

Administrator

Post by OSWorX » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:24 pm

Johnathan wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:52 pm
.. is frankly impossible in open source software unless you encrypt the code ..
And encrypting software published under the GNU/GPL (which all OpenCart extensions to have be!) is violating this License.
Nevertheless, if one really sell encrypted OpenCart Extensions, 2 actions should be done:

1. the Buyer has the right to claim the uncrypted software
2. this extension and the developer itself has to be reported to ban both

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by Johnathan » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:46 pm

Yes, encrypted code is not allowed on the opencart.com marketplace, for good reason. Anyone that finds an encrypted extension should report it here:

https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... rt/contact

Administrator

Post by xxvirusxx » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:32 am

Johnathan wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:46 pm
Yes, encrypted code is not allowed on the opencart.com marketplace, for good reason.
Really?
This is allowed?
http://gdpr.demo.isenselabs.com/oc3/cat ... manager.js

https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... n_id=34092

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by Burt65 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:50 am

Johnathan wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:34 pm
Thanks for the suggestions --- I've considered doing that, but I don't have the time or resources to really pursue action like that in cases like this. It's an unfortunate downside to being a sole developer, there's not a lot we can feasibly do about stolen software, especially when it's in a different country. I barely have time to get through my e-mail every day. :)

Honestly, I'm not too concerned about the loss of revenue, I'm more bothered by the brazenness with which some web designers think they can just take other people's work without paying. I believe in honesty and decency in the way we treat each other, so it frustrates me when I'm reminded that (some) other people lack that baseline of respect.
Understood, but by contacting the companies they have sold your code and at least letting them aware of the situation would at least create some discomfort for both party or at least preventing those customers from paying bladeinformatica.. Ok.. It would not be a financial victory, but more of a moral victory..

Over 95% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair...

Location - Oz

Post by Burt65 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:53 am

xxvirusxx wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:32 am
Johnathan wrote:
Yes, encrypted code is not allowed on the opencart.com marketplace, for good reason.
Really?
This is allowed?

Is that, what you listed in the link encrypted code?

If it is, just remember the golden rule: Do as we say, not as we do!... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Location - Oz

Post by xxvirusxx » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:47 am

Burt65 wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:53 am
Is that, what you listed in the link encrypted code?
Just obfuscation code :laugh: :laugh:

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by Burt65 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:58 am

xxvirusxx wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:47 am
Just obfuscation code :laugh: :laugh:
That word does come up often with MAFIA... :laugh:
As well as: mystification, muddying, clouding, fudging, obliqueness... The list is endless..

I don't think it was deliberate... It was probably an accident... Like a can of soft drink getting on the keyboard by mistake.. :laugh: :laugh:

Someone should ask for clarifications here... >:D

Location - Oz

Post by OSWorX » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:26 pm

xxvirusxx wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:32 am
Johnathan wrote:
Really?
This is allowed?

A Legal question (and can be discussed endless ..).

Scripts (code) based on Libraries / Functions of OpenCart are published under the same License as the frame (main) work.
Here OpenCart and GNU/GPL v.3: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.en.html

An exception are scripts (code) which are not using Libraries / Function from the frame (main) work.
Under that section are falling Javascript parts and Templates.

Why they are not covered?
Because they can run "stand-a-lone", using "only" results from the frame.
php-Scripts because not, because the usually are based on the frame (main) work.
Example: every scripts which "extends" the controller and/or model - or any other script published by/from OpenCart.

Another example for not covered by the same License as OpenCart (and therefore could be licensed under any other License) would be a new Library where the functions are not "extended".
An "API" for example.
It may get only results (e.g. from the database), or manipulate data.
But it does not need the framework of OpenCart itself.

Enough spoken in this thread about such License cases.
If someone wants to continue, open up a new discussion.

In this context, everyone should read this here also: https://www.gnu.de/free-software/index.en.html and https://www.gnu.de/free-software/source.en.html

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria