Post by delmarket » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:46 am

Here is the website: https://delbox.ro

We have journal 3 as the theme.
We have enough ram + cpu power to handle the amount of concurent visitors that are set in apache.
The vps uses SSD for the disk so the reading/writing speed is as good as it can be.
We have cloudflare in front of the website so we're already making it easier for the server to handle requests.
We have caching both from cloudflare and journal 3. Although this is a bit weird, on cloudflare it seems like we're caching only 48.44% of the content for some reason while on other websites we had, most of them had 70-90% cached content.
We made the images for products and banners as small in size an resolution as we could.
We have lazy loading for images from journal 3 active.
We added indexes on the database as recommended to make the queries faster.

All in all, the first pages still has a high loading time, especially for people entering the first time from their mobiles etc .

Therefore, could you please tell me what else can I do to speed up the loading time and make it blazing fast?

Post by johnp » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:48 am

Journal. I'll get me coat. :)

Opencart 1.5.6.5/OC Bootstrap Pro/VQMOD 2.6.1 lover, user and geek.
Affordable Service £££ - Opencart Installs, Fixing, Development and Upgrades
Plus Ecommerce, Marketing, Mailing List Management and More
FREE Guidance and Advice at https://www.ecommerce-help.co.uk

Location - Surrey, UK

Post by johnp » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:51 am

Although to be fair the site loads pretty fast for me. I've seen a lot worse Journal based sites and have had to use a calendar to measure load times.

Location - Surrey, UK

Post by IP_CAM » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:44 am

Well, it's probably quite useless, trying to say much to this. You created a sizewise
fully overloaded Download Page, but sure not a sleek Welcome Page. And all that,
in combination with a 'very heavy on Code' Journal Theme Extension. :laugh:

Attachments

delbox_ro.png

delbox_ro.png (137.53 KiB) Viewed 393 times

Please don't send Personal OC Forum Messages, contact: jti@jacob.ch
---
Test Site: http://www.bigmax.ch/shop/
Github OC Downloads: https://github.com/IP-CAM
2'200+ FREE OC Extensions from the World's largest Github OC Repository Archive.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by delmarket » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:01 pm

So... from what I'm picking up journal 3 is a major issue performance wise? Changing it to a different theme might be a possible solution? Also We don't have that many products on the first page, what do you mean it's overloaded?

Post by johnp » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:49 pm

delmarket wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:01 pm
So... from what I'm picking up journal 3 is a major issue performance wise? Changing it to a different theme might be a possible solution? Also We don't have that many products on the first page, what do you mean it's overloaded?
Journal pretty much makes Opencart a totally different system IMO. My experience has taught me wherever possible to use the default theme as the basis for a custom theme and have as few extensions as possible. Opencart as it comes out of the box for many applications is just fine. Add a bit of paint and you have a good platform to trade from. Again, that comes from experience. Other opinions are also available. :)

Location - Surrey, UK

Post by paulfeakins » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:13 pm

delmarket wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:01 pm
So... from what I'm picking up journal 3 is a major issue performance wise?
Correct, a quick Google and you'll find many anti-Journal posts here.

For quick, professional OpenCart support please email info@antropy.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - Reigate, Surrey, United Kingdom

Post by IP_CAM » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:12 pm

Correct, a quick Google and you'll find many anti-Journal posts here.
Well, it's not really against Journal, but Journal is a very heavy Package, and it requires
not only a very powerful Server, but also some fundamental Web-Designer Experience,
in order to avoid codewise overloaded Pages. But in many Cases, neither of them is the
case, and then, they come here, or go to the Facebook OC Pages, looking for some easy
(free) solutions, to make a Racer out of their Slug. ::) :laugh:

But there is no help for those poor Fellows, they have to learn, like in any other Business
too, in order to succeed. That's the good thing about it, otherways, the online shopping
world would be full of Amateurs, looking like real Professionals. :D
Ernie

---
2'200+ FREE OC Extensions from the World's largest Github OC Repository Archive.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by delmarket » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:32 pm

Ernie I appreciate your time to leave a comment, but would've appreciate more if you've contributed somehow to the topic rather than just responding to another member on the journal matter and generalizing about everyone who is looking to improve their speed.

I don't like the assumptions that I'm looking for free stuff with low effort and trying to make a quick shop put together a racer without any knowledge.

As you can see, I've written some details and I can go into more details if needed, but I tried to keep it short and start a discussion.
I'm not cheap on the server resources and not a-technical either, I'm just not highly experienced with opencart itself, hence my intention of finding some suggestions/help on the community forums.

I'm sorry, but that was a pretty dissappointing message when I saw the notification pop up, was hoping for constructive discussions. Hopefully you understand my point of view and not feel attacked by what I just said.

Post by IP_CAM » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:46 pm

Just don't take it personal, I made a rather 'global' statement, valid for anyone, using Journal Software, but unaware of, what will be part of it.
You just have to 're-structure' your Pages, compress your images, and so on, to eventually get better Results. But the Web is full of information on such, so, it makes little sense, to repeat it here, again and again.
Good Luck! ;)

---

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by delmarket » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:52 pm

Alright, makes sense, Ill dig for similar topics on "re-structuring" pages and compressing images around. Meanwhile, if you have links as a goto source for those, feel free to drop them.

As for the rest, I'm still open to discuss suggestions if anyone else has any

Post by letxobnav » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:55 pm

well, journal does tend to send an enormous amount of resources down the network regardless of the client.
I believe journal looks nice (though you put too much, too close on mobile for it to be clickable) but it generates too much client code for what that actually achieves.

You see many requests for heavy font files on your site, why so many fonts?

Your images are way to big for mobiles, 500x500 when they will be displayed at 135x135 or so? that means more bytes to transfer and more browser effort to resize. Css media queries are nice (for developers) to have a single source base which can handle many screen-sizes (no more totally separate mobile versions of a website to maintain) but that does not mean, just send the same stuff to a phone which you would to a tablet or a desktop, that is asking for slow performance.

And ask your cloudflare rep. how they handle caching of assets with querystrings, you have many static assest with ?V3.... attached which is nice if you want to force browser cache refreshes from the server-side but many proxies (and cloudflare is just that) will not cache assets with query strings as they regard them as dynamic.

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan
Extensions: MailQueue | SUKHR | VBoces

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by johnp » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:14 pm

I would add that it's not a dig from Ernie or any of us. The issue is as I see it that the general Opencart user takes things at face value and with a limited level of OC knowledge. At first glance Journal seems to be just another Opencart template and an easy one to use too with a click and save admin panel. That is true but that comes with a lot of extra code and changes and as I've said before, to me takes it away from actually being Opencart. It's only with experience and an interest in Opencart under the hood that you see how those extra easy to use features are obtained. Years ago I used Journal when I had my own store. It quickly slowed down, generated errors due to conflicts and core changes and led to a headache with development and upgrades. It's just down to experience and time served on Opencart. Keep it core, simple and slick and you'll have a good experience with OC. All IMO as always.

Location - Surrey, UK

Post by johnp » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:17 pm

Also, one of the posters on here a while while back the Journal developers might as well have their own ecommerce system as their theme takes Opencart away from being Opencart. I would probably agree with that. Or, slim down Journal and provide it based on good OC developement and coding principles and practices.

Location - Surrey, UK

Post by Zanato » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:50 pm

Your site loads quite fast for me on desktop from Ireland. Visible content almost instantly.

Don't mind all the Journal bashing that goes on here. It's developers who see it as a nuisance having to make their plugins compatible due to Journals popularity. Journal is a great addition to any OC site and runs quite fast out of the box once you enable all tweaks and set up your caching correct in htaccess. You would need to spend several hundred Euro to have the same features in a stock template as you get with Journal.
delmarket wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:46 am
Therefore, could you please tell me what else can I do to speed up the loading time and make it blazing fast?
I use Nitropack.io from iSenselabs. I get a score of 99 on Lighhouse and 100% on GT Metrix without image compression on category pages.

Location - Dublin, Ireland

Post by IP_CAM » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:21 am

I get a score of 99 on Lighhouse and 100% on GT Metrix without image compression on category pages.
Isenselabs Nitro is a nice Extension, to sped up Journal.
But tell me, how much you get on Google, or better show a link to that site, to prove it ... :D
http://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

---

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by delmarket » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:47 am

I'm barely getting 10 to 15 on pagespeed insights, which is something I expected even though it works fast for someone who gets the cached version of it.

I think the main thing bothering me is the javascript part. I get it, images can be further optimized, compressed to make it lighter, but from what I've seen on different tests with different tools, js is the one the site is waiting for quite a bit.

From dom manipulation(a lot of activity there), to a lot of time to evaluate js files.

On the images part:
Would moving static resources (images,js,css) to a separate server dedicated to serve static files through nginx or litespeed with heavy cache/compress mechanism make a big difference? Also is it possible to use external static files with opencart? From what I saw, it does its own redimensioning/thumbnails and what not and if the link is external, that stuff doesnt work anymore so suddenly it could break the pages in a lot of places where images are of different size.

For the javascript part, sadly, to me it seems quite complicated to manually minify/merge them or decide what loads when and where from the way they're coded into the site. I'm familiar with many types of MVC, but on OC, particularly with journal, its pretty mixed

Post by JNeuhoff » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:51 am

You would need to spend several hundred Euro to have the same features in a stock template as you get with Journal.
What "features" are you talking about?

As others have said, Journal3/OpenCart is basically not a proper OpenCart system anymore, hence the Journal3 authors need to step up and offer support for their software, or write their own ecommerce software, or do a proper implementation of their web theme. It's not up to the OpenCart forum to do free support for a poorly written non-OpenCart software!

MHC Web Design
Override Engine * Integrated VQMod * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Rich Snippets * Google Tag Manager * Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster

Expert Member

Post by letxobnav » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:12 am

Would moving static resources (images,js,css) to a separate server dedicated to serve static files through nginx or litespeed with heavy cache/compress mechanism make a big difference?
not really, you are already using cloudflare which should cache your static assets geographically optimized and you are using http/2 so there is no need to put static assets on a separate subdomain to trick browsers into using more tcp connections.
Trouble is, those page appraisal sites like lighthouse do not use http/2 while most mobile browsers do and therefore also do not utilize proper asset pushing.
So you basically are looking at worst case scenario's with those sites.

So instead of focussing on getting a good score there, use their recommendations which are feasible and managable/maintainable for you and simply test the responsiveness of your site yourself using desktop/tablet and phone and determine if it is acceptable.

The only things from your site which load slowly for me are images and icons so you may need to check with cloudflare or your lazyload settings.
Or maybe you want to preload the most needed images by http/2 push.
Still wonder why you need to load so many font files (woff2) from gstatic.

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan
Extensions: MailQueue | SUKHR | VBoces

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by Zanato » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:01 am

JNeuhoff wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:51 am
What "features" are you talking about?
  • One Page Checkout
  • Blog
  • Quick View
  • File Upload On Enquiry Form
  • Product Filter
  • Sticky Menu
  • Buy Now Button
  • Disable Add to Cart on out of stock
  • Product Labels
  • ...and lots more.
Not to mention the fact that you can completely customise the layout of a page without going near any code.

Any ONE of the features above would cost $20+ on marketplace. Journal is only $55.
JNeuhoff wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:51 am
As others have said, Journal3/OpenCart is basically not a proper OpenCart system anymore, hence the Journal3 authors need to step up and offer support for their software, or write their own ecommerce software, or do a proper implementation of their web theme. It's not up to the OpenCart forum to do free support for a poorly written non-OpenCart software!
I've never had any problems getting support from them but I do agree with you, this is not the place for seeking support on Journal issues. I think the problem this forum has though is Journal is pirated so much and those people can't go to official support.

Location - Dublin, Ireland