Post by dkontod » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:10 am

Good evening to all.
I work with OC 3.0.3.3 and Journal 3.0.47_rc.
The eshop has been migrated from OC 1.5.5.1 where it had undergone many customizations. About 22 fields were added to product and product_description
I have already made the changes to the database at 3.x and I have displayed the additional fields in the default theme in static tabs. I want to do this job for journal as well.
Ηowever /catalog/view/theme/journal3/teplate/product/product.twig, has a structure that I can't understand. In contact with journal support I got the answer to use dynamic blocks with a custom controller (they also gave me the /catalog/controller/journal3/blocks_example.php) but they didn't give me further instructions on what to write to the controller to do the custom fields available in dynamic blocks.

Can anyone help please?

Post by JNeuhoff » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:43 am

Well, Journal3, as you have seen, is not a standard-compliant OpenCart theme. Your best bet would be to post a request on the commercial support section of this forum, or to use a better standard-compliant web theme.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by dkontod » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:58 am

standard compliant web theme

I am not sure what exactly you mean by that.
Of course changing the theme in a huge project after 2 months of work is out of the question.
And please, specify where can I post my request to get help? Where is that "commercial forum"?

Post by xxvirusxx » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:33 am

dkontod wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:58 am
Where is that "commercial forum"?
Here
viewforum.php?f=88

Upgrade Service | OC 2.3.0.2 PHP 8 | My Custom OC 3.0.3.8 | Buy me a beer

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by cedcommerceteam » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:05 pm

dkontod wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:10 am
Good evening to all.
I work with OC 3.0.3.3 and Journal 3.0.47_rc.
The eshop has been migrated from OC 1.5.5.1 where it had undergone many customizations. About 22 fields were added to product and product_description
I have already made the changes to the database at 3.x and I have displayed the additional fields in the default theme in static tabs. I want to do this job for journal as well.
Ηowever /catalog/view/theme/journal3/teplate/product/product.twig, has a structure that I can't understand. In contact with journal support I got the answer to use dynamic blocks with a custom controller (they also gave me the /catalog/controller/journal3/blocks_example.php) but they didn't give me further instructions on what to write to the controller to do the custom fields available in dynamic blocks.

Can anyone help please?
Hello,

Hope you are doing well.

We can help you with this, please let us know your requirements in person.

Thanks!!!

Call us at : (+91) -8765210318 , Skype: live:carlmorgan.cedcommerce , Email: support@cedcommerce.com
CedCommerece : Officail Opencart Partners
CedCommerce Official : www.cedcommerce.com
Opencart Services : www.cedcommerce/opencart-services.com
Sell On various Marketplace Integration : Opencart-Extensions
Magenative Mobile App/IOS Development : magenative.com
Webinar : Power up Your holiday season marketing with the Automation tool

Post by dkontod » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:08 pm

Thank you all for your response. Doing my research, I managed to create one controller for each from 7 fields and put them in dynamic journal blocks. My solution works perfect.
Here it is:
For each of the 7 fields I created a controller like this:

Code: Select all

<?php
use Journal3\Opencart\Controller;
class ControllerJournal3BlocksCompatibility extends Controller {
	public function index($args) {
		$column_name = 'fieldname';
		$query = $this->db->query("SELECT " . $column_name . " FROM ". DB_PREFIX . "product_description WHERE product_id = '" . (int)$this->request->get['product_id'] . "' AND language_id = '" . (int)$this->config->get('config_language_id') . "' LIMIT 1");
		if ($query->num_rows) {
			$column_value = html_entity_decode($query->row[$column_name], ENT_QUOTES, 'UTF-8');
		} else {
			$column_value = '';
		}
		return $column_value;
	}
}
where fieldname is replaced with the name of the field for which is the controller.
I named the controllers something like blocks_fieldname.php and put them in catalog/controller/journal3.
Then, in opencart admin, I create any block of type "Dynamic" I like and in the path parameter I put journal3/blocks_fieldname the controller for the field I want to appear in the block.
I could include in the controller field label, or use the language related field labels from the language controllers, but they are textarea content fields, so no label needed.

Post by mikrocica » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:38 pm

Thanks for this solution! And also for returning and sharing this!
I really like JOurnal, but for some reason all Journal related toppics are kinda banned from this forum.
Dont know why, but lots of ppl think it is a bad extention... although numbers show the opposite:)

Post by by mona » Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:53 pm

mikrocica wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:38 pm
lots of ppl think it is a bad extention... although numbers show the opposite:)
I believe you are referring to the bandwagon effect : In short it is a phycological effect of doing what others do. I am not convinced it is not simply a product of a couple of generations of self-serving minds in government and business both working together to get rich at the expensive of everyone else - but people do pay a lot of money to have Kim Kardashians bum ?? - anyway it is an interesting subject.
https://www.learning-mind.com/bandwagon ... decisions/

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by IP_CAM » Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:06 pm

I really like Journal, but for some reason all Journal related topics are kinda banned from this forum.
Well, Journal Theme is paid Extension Code, and registered Journal Users can/will be assisted at the Journal Site, if they run into Problems. But many Journal Users have not legally bought this Extension, and then visit this Place here, in the hope, to eventually get some free Support. But it cannot be the purpose of this Forum, to assist such Fellows, if they use stolen Code. It's as easy as that... :crazy:

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by JNeuhoff » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:48 pm

I think some of the main technical issues with the Journal3 framework are summarized here.

The Journal3 framework differs significantly from the standard OpenCart framework, and is of poor software engineering quality. They should really offer their own user forum, and an improve their customer support.

In the meantime, users also have the option to use the commercial support section of this forum.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by mikrocica » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:52 pm

by mona wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:53 pm
mikrocica wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:38 pm
lots of ppl think it is a bad extention... although numbers show the opposite:)
I believe you are referring to the bandwagon effect : In short it is a phycological effect of doing what others do. I am not convinced it is not simply a product of a couple of generations of self-serving minds in government and business both working together to get rich at the expensive of everyone else - but people do pay a lot of money to have Kim Kardashians bum ?? - anyway it is an interesting subject.
https://www.learning-mind.com/bandwagon ... decisions/
No offence, but guess you spend too much time on instagram.
All I was saying is that Journal is a very good extention. I have several webshops, gaining money with it, and I am not an expert.
Sorry to say, but for me, Journal was the best invested 50USD ever :)))
And as I see it is judged/disparaged by others who could not make this money from their extentions. We say grape is sour :)
It is just funny, that noone cared about giving a sh.t to this toppic, until there is a chance to spit on the Journal issue.

Post by mikrocica » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:54 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:48 pm
I think some of the main technical issues with the Journal3 framework are summarized here.

The Journal3 framework differs significantly from the standard OpenCart framework, and is of poor software engineering quality. They should really offer their own user forum, and an improve their customer support.

In the meantime, users also have the option to use the commercial support section of this forum.
Yeah, maybe, but the end of the day noone gives a sh.t to these issues if you never experience them (never did) and it brings you money on the long run. And it does.

Post by mikrocica » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:59 pm

IP_CAM wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:06 pm
I really like Journal, but for some reason all Journal related topics are kinda banned from this forum.
Well, Journal Theme is paid Extension Code, and registered Journal Users can/will be assisted at the Journal Site, if they run into Problems. But many Journal Users have not legally bought this Extension, and then visit this Place here, in the hope, to eventually get some free Support. But it cannot be the purpose of this Forum, to assist such Fellows, if they use stolen Code. It's as easy as that... :crazy:
Journal gives you a free support for a year.
And yes, there might be issues afterwards, that you wanna discuss or help others.
Just like this guy did who opened this toppic.
So strange that you guys immediatley suppose that ppl are stealing extentions.

Post by by mona » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:46 pm

You raised the issue in the full knowledge it was going to be contentious.

Instagram is not really a good example of the bandwagon effect - tiktok is. I was just giving you the psychology behind something you wrote. "Lots of people say it is bad yet the figures show it is successful" and why that can and does happen. I was not necessarily saying the bandwagon effect is wrong, it is the key to many successful businesses.

Another reason I can think of for Journal’s success is because people take money for providing a website using Journal. They make money from selling a product that cost $50 for $300. If they run into issues because they are not actually developers they come here. No one here should support the profit margins of others at their own expense.

I made no comment about the rights and wrongs of Journal. I did not state whether I thought Journal was good or bad. I have no personal bias for or against, but it is not sold on the marketplace and it does not follow standard Opencart.

Not being sold on the marketplace means it does not contribute to Opencart development in any way. It makes sense for this forum not to support it. It is bad for business. If developers loose out they will have to make money off fixing issues instead, which again is just business.

As has been written by JNeuhoff, Journal is non-compliant. No developer should be expected to spend any extra time to make anything compatible with Journal for free. In my opinion Journal did this deliberately to get users like yourself to pay for continued support. No one is stopping you from doing that and if you feel as strongly as you do about Journal, that is what you should be doing. Your happiness with Journal has nothing to do with Opencart.

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member