Post by aureliusf » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:54 am

Hello,
I have an opencart store with more than 70 thousand products and I've been getting close to 200 users a day, whising to geet to 1000 next year.
The store is slow and need some optimization. I've tried with varying the apache cache and some image compression but i can't get it to load faster than 5.7 seconds.

I have it in a VPS with Xeon E5 2600 8 cores , 16GB of RAM and 200GB in SSD's with other low-power pages, that is the maximum that my provider can give me so I've been thinking of moving to cloud, either Google or AWS.
I think deploying my store in kubernetes increase speeds, but I can't find anything that supports it, does anyone have some experience with this store size and cloud? I'm also wondering about the costs because Google says about 7 $/month but I'm not buying that.

Any feedback will be much apriciated, What do you think, should I jump to cloud or just look for other Hosting?

Post by rjcalifornia » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:58 pm

aureliusf wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:54 am
Hello,
I have an opencart store with more than 70 thousand products and I've been getting close to 200 users a day, whising to geet to 1000 next year.
The store is slow and need some optimization. I've tried with varying the apache cache and some image compression but i can't get it to load faster than 5.7 seconds.

I have it in a VPS with Xeon E5 2600 8 cores , 16GB of RAM and 200GB in SSD's with other low-power pages, that is the maximum that my provider can give me so I've been thinking of moving to cloud, either Google or AWS.
I think deploying my store in kubernetes increase speeds, but I can't find anything that supports it, does anyone have some experience with this store size and cloud? I'm also wondering about the costs because Google says about 7 $/month but I'm not buying that.

Any feedback will be much apriciated, What do you think, should I jump to cloud or just look for other Hosting?
First of all, which version of OpenCart/PHP are you using?

Are all of those products in stock, or just for reference? It seems like you should consider switching to a dedicated server, since you are getting 200 users per day. There some hosting companies that offer up to 1 TB of storage space. You can also try to optimize the database, use lazyload for images or a CDN

Location - Worldwide

Post by koku » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:37 pm

200 users / day is not a huge number of visitors, except if they all visit the site in a small time frame like between 9:00-9:30 but I don't think thats your case.
It is important first to find the reason(s) of slow performance before any server upgrade.

Possible reasons:
  • The amount of products in combination with poor DB indexing. Optimizing database indexes can make huge difference
  • Poor cache usage or better caching only the "basics" that opencart caches by default
  • Problematic extension(s) that run slow queries against the database
  • Your theme
and more...

In any case the solution is to review database/code and find the problematic parts and fix accordingly. I mean you cannot know what to fix just like that.
I would suggest DB/code optimization first and not upgrading the server. If you dont fix the problematic parts, then it doesnt matter if you upgrade the server or better it might be ok for a while and if you reach 300 users to start facing issues again. I am not saying that you will not need a server upgrade at some point and in fact thats perfect because it means your business is going well. But you cannot upgrade all the time, you first need to optimise the application.

btw AWS is perfect if you use it properly but can cost a lot of money if the application is not optimized and needs more resources than it should.

www.koku-scripts.com
Create multi stores in 5 min! - Easy Multi-Store Extension
Disable products at once! - Bulk Disable Products with 3 options
Charge option once regardless quantity - Calculate option value once