Post by virtualgadjo » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:22 pm

Hi all,
it's been a while since i last posted here... but i think i'm running into a "little" bug in language management, language switching actually

i'm working on a new website with two languages, default one is french and the second one is english
i've got four categories that are the only thing (apart from a link to the blog) displayed in the menu

let's say i'm on the categorie "randonnées" that has "/randonnees" as the french slug et "motobike-rides" in english
when in /randonnee in french, in i click on the english top button (native opencart one, flag and text) the content is updated in english but not the slug, in order to see /motorbike-rides in the url i must click a second time on english though it is already selected and the content already in english, same thing if i want to go back to french
i've tried this for all the categories and it behaves the same way

to be honest, it's not a real problem for a user as the only important thing for them is to have the content in the right language but it's a huge one when it comes to seo as you can easily imagine
it's aslo a little problem when it comes to bookmarking pages, let's say a guy bookmarks /randonnees when reading the page in english, back to the link he will get... the french version :)

thanks for any advice/insight about this
have a great day
chris

Post by letxobnav » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:14 pm

OC is indeed limited multi-lingual, bots are even worse off.

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan

Post by virtualgadjo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:50 pm

:D Hi,
honestly, i feel the content management not that bad when it comes to languages, even the slugs/urls, despite their curious naming... are easy to manage what makes this lang switch issue all the more surprising...

being french, i nearly always make multilingual websites (with modx for most of them) and i must say, bots don't bother me too much :) )

have a nice day
chris

Post by letxobnav » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:25 pm

if you do not mind that a google bot request for a french page produces the english version including meta data of that page, then by all means.

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan