Post by TrevorNoah » Wed May 22, 2019 1:41 pm

I have taken several courses including W3 tutorials and freecodecamp’s responsive web design course. I’m doing the projects for the responsive web design module on freecodecamp and after going through the css lessons, so many unexpected things happen when I try to style elements and create a layout.

I’m a CS student in uni and I have felt like this before with python and C++, when that happened I decided I needed to learn more and I was able to do so. But with CSS, I feel like there are so many properties with so many nuances and I have no clue where to begin, I’m starting to feel overwhelmed and frustrated. Is this normal? Should I start going through some more courses or should I keep learning on the fly? What courses/resources would you recommend?

Post by IP_CAM » Thu May 23, 2019 7:24 am

I have no clue where to begin ...
Well, this only depends on what you want to achieve.
And depending on, what Software you will use, you will
get familiar with CSS, as used in that specific Software.
Below linked is a typical OC v.2.0.x type Stylesheet, and
containing, what used on CSS Code in Opencart. And
BOOTSTRAP also plays in important Role today, also
check it's specific ways of using CSS Styles + Classes.
http://getbootstrap.com

The easiest way, to find out, is, to play around with different values,
and check, what changed, and where ... :D

Good Luck!
Ernie

I am no longer active at this Forum.
Please don't send Personal Messages, contact: jti@jacob.ch
---
Github OC Downloads: https://github.com/IP-CAM
2'000+ FREE OC Extensions from the World's largest Github OC Archive.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by GaiaBudz » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:43 am

TrevorNoah wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:41 pm
I have taken several courses including W3 tutorials and freecodecamp’s responsive web design course. I’m doing the projects for the responsive web design module on freecodecamp and after going through the css lessons, so many unexpected things happen when I try to style elements and create a layout.

I’m a CS student in uni and I have felt like this before with python and C++, when that happened I decided I needed to learn more and I was able to do so. But with CSS, I feel like there are so many properties with so many nuances and I have no clue where to begin, I’m starting to feel overwhelmed and frustrated. Is this normal? Should I start going through some more courses or should I keep learning on the fly? What courses/resources would you recommend?
Funny, I always thought of CSS as one of the easier languages to learn, I have always seen CSS as a more advanced HTML, and PHP a more advanced CSS. No idea if that is how it actually is supposed to be, but that is just how it always felt to me. I feel your pain though, I am currently trying to teach myself PHP and MySQL, and needless to say it has been a some what frustrating but i'm getting. Plus, I am not taking courses for PHP/MySQL like i did for advanced html and CSS.

With all that said, I couldn't suggest you any courses, the courses I took we're provided by a local college. However, I can tell you what i do as far as resources are concerned... Other than using google to find specific codes and what they do, I would scour websites that provide software or platforms that require you have knowledge in html and css, or in my case today php/mysql, fiddle with said software or platform, and refer to their documentation and knowledge databases to guide me along with what i am doing. Slowly but surely it just starts coming to you, and next thing you know you have the general knowledge to start developing basic things and through that it slowly becomes more and more advanced and the things you develop become more and more complex. Just make sure when you are fiddling, especially with files, you always make back ups but I am sure you knew that already...

Also, stay consistent. I haven't developed a website in almost 10 years, and I am trying to start my first webstore and it has been frustrating to get started... because now I have to try and remember everything, relearn everything i can't remember, and on top of that teach myself php/mysql. I think the saying "if you don't use it, you lose it" applies here...