Post by MEM73 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:33 pm

Hi, When i go into design>theme editor and try to edit and then save .twg files i get a pop up box which says 403 forbidden.
It also says "I do not have permission to access the document"
Any advice on why this is happening ?

Screenshot attached.

Attachments

openc-theme-403.jpg

openc-theme-403.jpg (51.25 KiB) Viewed 319 times

Post by MEM73 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:32 pm

Hi, I solved it myself. I didnt realise in the admin dashboard there is a gear icon that if clicked brings up the menu to turn off THEME and SASS. I refreshed both with the option beside and then turned them back on. The changes i made to footer.twig were updated.

I still get the error message and cant save twig files with the actual editor, but used ftp instead. So i reckon some bugs exist in 3.03.1 re the editor.

Post by JNeuhoff » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:11 pm

I strongly advise against the usage of the theme editor. It will most likely cause conflicts with OCmod or VQmod based modifications for the same template, e.g. bypassing the latter.

It's better to use your own web theme. You need to need to store modified template files in your own catalog/view/theme/<my-theme>/template folder.

MHC Web Design
Override Engine * Integrated VQMod * Multilingual SEO * Instant Option Price Calculator * TrustPilot Reviews * Google Rich Snippets * Google Tag Manager * Export/Import Tool * Template Switcher PHP/Twig

Expert Member

Post by MEM73 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:15 pm

Thanks for your reply. So if i understand correctly - you mean do not use the theme editor in admin panel at all ?
So it is okay for me to edit the files manually and put them back via ftp ? This is what i had to do and then simply refresh the cache in admin panel gear icon.
All worked doing it the manual way for me.

At this stage im just removing what i dont want in the footer links - so do not expect any problems with the default theme being modified via ftp.
But i havent used OC for many years now, so th enew version i hope is stable enough to deal with manual changes - it seems the build it features are seemingly very buggy.

Post by JNeuhoff » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:36 pm

You should not change the original template files at all. Rather, create your own theme folder, e.g. 'catalog/view/theme/my-theme'. Then in the OpenCart admin backend do 'Extensions > Extensions > Themes > Default Store Theme > edit > Theme Directory = my-theme'.

Then, if you were to use a modified 'footer.twig', copy the original one over to 'catalog/view/theme/my-theme/template/common/footer.twig' and then modify it in there.

The OpenCart theme editor has severe limitations. It blocks subsequent modifications via OCmod or VQmod. It only works for the default theme, and only for twig-templates.

MHC Web Design
Override Engine * Integrated VQMod * Multilingual SEO * Instant Option Price Calculator * TrustPilot Reviews * Google Rich Snippets * Google Tag Manager * Export/Import Tool * Template Switcher PHP/Twig

Expert Member