Post by Qphoria » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:28 am

just set the product "Requires Shipping" to NO

Q

Administrator

Post by op_user » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:15 am

Qphoria wrote:
alex1 wrote: I'm waiting for 1.5 because I will also have a forum and a blog, and the theme is going to stay consistent. I would rather do the theme just once.
But what cart feature are you waiting for? We haven't released a full set of features yet.. so far they are just heresay.
I'm personally looking forward for the affiliates system. I'll install 1.5.0, add products and bug test it and go live with 1.5.1. That's the main reason why I'm not using 1.4.9 right now even though it's still good

I am waiting for Open Cart 3.0

Post by hawkey » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:33 am

Qphoria wrote: But what cart feature are you waiting for? We haven't released a full set of features yet.. so far they are just heresay.
I wish that 1.4.9.2 or 1.5.0 would have better order modify with taxes_total automatic update and shipping modify in administration.
Will be? :)

Visit OpencartEx - Opencart extensions
Opencart rady a návody česky | Podpora Opencart

Location - Olomouc, Czech Republic, Europe

Post by gocreative » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:06 am

Qphoria wrote:But what cart feature are you waiting for? We haven't released a full set of features yet.. so far they are just heresay.
This is why I suggested a long time ago that the Roadmap needs to indicate a proprosed version for each feature. At the moment 'Pending' could mean 'released in 2014'. It doesn't have to be 100% accurate but may reduce the number of questions asked about specific features.

Post by Qphoria » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:02 am

Sometimes things are just added as they are convenient

Administrator

Post by gocreative » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:49 am

Sure, but you could always list a proposed version/timeframe for each feature. If you exceed expectations then it's a bonus, and if you only meet them then at least you may have avoided having to answer the 'When will it be ready?' question a few hundred times.

Post by alex1 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:03 am

Qphoria wrote:just set the product "Requires Shipping" to NO

Q
then it returns no shipping options at all.

Free shipping for products always refers to ground shipping. The ground shipping should be zero.

However, if they pick overnight, it should still allow them to do so, and charge them for it.

Post by Xsecrets » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:11 am

oneilldesign wrote:Sure, but you could always list a proposed version/timeframe for each feature. If you exceed expectations then it's a bonus, and if you only meet them then at least you may have avoided having to answer the 'When will it be ready?' question a few hundred times.
well unfortunately I think the development actually kind of works backwards to that right now they start off with the intent of putting all the features in and at some point cut it off and make a release with whatever ones are done.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by Qphoria » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:40 am

Xsecrets wrote:
oneilldesign wrote:Sure, but you could always list a proposed version/timeframe for each feature. If you exceed expectations then it's a bonus, and if you only meet them then at least you may have avoided having to answer the 'When will it be ready?' question a few hundred times.
well unfortunately I think the development actually kind of works backwards to that right now they start off with the intent of putting all the features in and at some point cut it off and make a release with whatever ones are done.
nailed it. This is how microsoft makes Windows.. so it works :)

Administrator

Post by gocreative » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:45 am

Xsecrets wrote:
That doesn't mean they can't put the dates or planned versions down. For instance, if 10 features were listed as 'v1.5.0' and only five made the cut, to me that's better than having no idea what's on the horizon. At least, as a developer, I know roughly when certain features will be available. Right now I have no idea what will be in the next version.

Post by gocreative » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:46 am

Qphoria wrote:nailed it. This is how microsoft makes Windows.. so it works :)
Hardly a convincing argument given Microsoft's repeated failures.

Post by Qphoria » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:51 pm

oneilldesign wrote: That doesn't mean they can't put the dates or planned versions down. For instance, if 10 features were listed as 'v1.5.0' and only five made the cut, to me that's better than having no idea what's on the horizon. At least, as a developer, I know roughly when certain features will be available. Right now I have no idea what will be in the next version.
Fair enough.. Here is a roadmap I posted back around 1.4.7 release:
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php ... 388#p67609
Qphoria wrote:Here's a preliminary roadmap for 1.5.0.
It is subject to change & expand. I will try to stick to it as best as possible.
Additional bug fixes are implied and not listed.

TO BE ADDED (1.5.0):
- Watermarking support
- Wishlist
- Product Bundle pricing
- Product Custom fields
- Products Per Page selectbox
- Restore the URL library class. Move Auto-SEO to that class for ALL links (remove tool/seo)
- Improved search (explode method) and search by sku
- Look into mimicing WordPress's "hook" design using the "preAction" method
- Option for "Add to cart to see price" (like amazon does to hide prices from search engines)
- Checkbox to not add demo data during install
- Filter by tag in admin
- All products
- Add Weight to Product page
- Admin notes area
- Automatic Coupon Generator for first time orders
- Custom Customer Field maker from admin
- Customer Credit System
- Global Options
- Featured products by store id (and other modules too)
- Multiple Option Types (test, check, radio, file, etc)
- Request Quote/Disable Add to Cart per product basis
- Revisit the template system
- Revisit the excessive use of individual variables instead of a simple array at the tpl level
- Redesign Checkout
-- Single path for checkout. Account create option on success page
-- Shipping estimation from cart
Owned 8)

From that list perhaps the following will make it:
- Wishlist
- Global Options
- Multiple Option Types (test, check, radio, file, etc)
- Revisit the template system
- Redesign Checkout
And a bunch of others stuff NOT on the roadmap

Administrator

Post by gocreative » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:28 pm

Qphoria wrote:Owned 8)
Not at all. Why bother writing that spiel when you could just direct people to a list of all roadmap features scheduled for the next version? Seems quite foolish and much more difficult than just updating each item in the Roadmap (since you have to edit each item to change its status to 'pending' anyway).

Post by op_user » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:35 pm

Can I ask here if the affiliate system in 1.5.0 will be tiered, as in members who refer $XX or ## amount of referrals get more commission?

I am waiting for Open Cart 3.0

Post by peecha85 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:28 pm

op_user wrote:Can I ask here if the affiliate system in 1.5.0 will be tiered, as in members who refer $XX or ## amount of referrals get more commission?
same question here

Post by ncc50446@hotmail.com » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:37 am

Q - Stop answering all the questions and get to work on OpenCart! lol
But really...It's almost like some people like to complain for the fun of it...

Though I do have to agree...Never use Microsoft as an example for development...:P

Also, a note for giving estimates on time lines...Give yourself extra time :P If you think it will take 1 week to code something, tell everyone 2 weeks. Then if you finish on time, you're a miracle worker. If not, then you finish on time, or slightly delayed.

Also...You get what you get when you get it...

The more you all complain about features and such, the more time Q and D have to answer them, means the less time they are programming. :P

Post by Qphoria » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:47 am

oneilldesign wrote:
Qphoria wrote:Owned 8)
Not at all. Why bother writing that spiel when you could just direct people to a list of all roadmap features scheduled for the next version? Seems quite foolish and much more difficult than just updating each item in the Roadmap (since you have to edit each item to change its status to 'pending' anyway).
LOL.. there was no spiel.. I was just showing how a roadmap did exist and what the end result is looking to be.

Administrator

Post by gocreative » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:56 am

Qphoria wrote:LOL.. there was no spiel.. I was just showing how a roadmap did exist and what the end result is looking to be.
I was referring to the fact that you had to type out each feature being added and what it did, when the Roadmap already lists all of that information. Instead of having to post a list of hand-typed features, you could like users to a unique URL which shows all features slated for the upcoming release.

Nevermind, you're too stubborn to consider the idea.

Post by Qphoria » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:24 pm

oneilldesign wrote:
Qphoria wrote:LOL.. there was no spiel.. I was just showing how a roadmap did exist and what the end result is looking to be.
I was referring to the fact that you had to type out each feature being added and what it did, when the Roadmap already lists all of that information. Instead of having to post a list of hand-typed features, you could like users to a unique URL which shows all features slated for the upcoming release.

Nevermind, you're too stubborn to consider the idea.
I just don't understand what you are referring to. If you mean the roadmap that is listed here:
http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route=feature/roadmap

Well I'll be honest, I don't think I've ever looked at that. But it is far easier for me to crank out a list of possible features than to create a new record in the roadmap system. That is my point. In the 10 secs it takes me to write them out in a list, I've already changed my mind on 3 of them and thought of 3 more.

But I don't know what you are asking still. You say you want a roadmap, but the roadmap you want already exists.

Administrator

Post by gocreative » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:27 pm

Qphoria wrote:it is far easier for me to crank out a list of possible features than to create a new record in the roadmap system. That is my point. In the 10 secs it takes me to write them out in a list, I've already changed my mind on 3 of them and thought of 3 more.
Bingo! There's your problem. OpenCart is about the users, not about you. Sure, you're the one doing the work and we all appreciate that, but ultimately I think you'd be doing yourself a big favour (not to mention all users) by being more particular with the content that is added to the roadmap.
Qphoria wrote:But I don't know what you are asking still. You say you want a roadmap, but the roadmap you want already exists.
No it doesn't. The roadmap exists, but I would like to see an additional field added to each item which lists the planned version for release. For example:

Code: Select all

ID 	Name 		Assigned To 	Priority 	Status 	Date Added 	Planned release version*
22 	Invoices 	Daniel 	 	High 	 	Pending 	16/10/10 	 	1.5.1

*Subject to timeframes and other factors.
Then, rather than having to type out the list of features coming up each version, you could link to a URL as follows:

http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... order=DESC

This would then give users a list of features coming up for the next version, and they can read further detail if they wish. So it saves you from writing something that already has a designated location, reduces the number of questions, provides more open communication to users, and gives you a 'stock standard' response to anyone who asks 'What's coming up in the next version' (i.e. giving them the link to the roadmap).