Post by Joey » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:15 am

How much would it cost to get a new release in the making. So much needs to be done with Open Cart. There simply are just not enough incoporated features that make it worth using compared to it's larger ones like Zen Cart.  I like open cart better. It's more simple, and consise.  Doesn't take a book.  The admin panel is better.  Just crappy for shipping and payment modules, and more.

Post by Qphoria » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:21 am

OpenCart 0.7.9 with a handful of the community created contribs is quite competitive with whats "needed" without adding the extra bloat and confusion. There is no "cost". OpenCart is just young. 0.7.9 signifies that it hadn't even reached 1.0 status. Now we finally have a 1.0 beta out to see the new structure, but it will be quite a while before it is even close to the quality that the 0.7.x version has become.

OpenCart was created because of the rats nest that osCommerce and Zen-Cart have become. New features are being added and discussed all the time. These things just take time. Zen-Cart has the osCommerce base plus 5 years of its own experience. OpenCart has about 2.5 and was built from the ground up by 1 man with vision and talent.

There are nothing wrong with the shipping and payment modules, there just aren't a lot of them done yet. The best way to get it better is to contribute improvements to the community to make it better.
Last edited by Qphoria on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Administrator

Post by jty » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:38 am

Hi Joey,
A few weeks ago I would have agreed with your post but having spent time with Open Cart, I have discovered a wealth of modules in this forum and also the contributions section.
If you have a little bit of know-how and willing to get your hands dirty, a bit of time, you can apply the contributions and bits of code found in this forum to make your own tailor-made cart.
That is what I'm doing at the moment and finally, after searching for nearly a year, it's looking like I'll have what I want in a cart software. The out-of-a box solutions are great until I discovered that they didn't have this and that and I couldn't get the help to get them done.
Regarding shipping and payment modules, you can post in the development forum and ask someone for a quote to write it for you.
As Qphoria has stated, Open Cart is just a baby at the moment. But it is a good, happy baby that isn't unnecessarily complex like other carts.

jty

Post by Qphoria » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:43 am

@ Joey: Are there some specific features you are looking for that other carts have that you feel are a must-have addition?
We are always looking to make OpenCart better and more featureful.

Administrator

Post by hm2k » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:17 am

Joey, tell us what you need, and when you need it by, and we'll work it from there.

UK Web Hosting

Global Moderator

Location - UK

Post by jty » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:12 pm

Qphoria wrote: We are always looking to make OpenCart better and more featureful.
May I be Joey please  ;D
My 2 cents worth -
- Shipping Estimator. Yer, I'm nagging  ::)
- An admin interface controlled turn on/off for the following contributions
  * Latest/Featured
  * Best Sellers from SiteEase
  * Category Descriptions from Bruce & co
  * HomePage from Fido-X
  * Import/Export from Jeff
  * Category Options List from Qphoria
  * SEO from David
  * Sub Categories menu - Qphoria + Bruce where we can turn on/off expand/collapse or not use it at all
  * others I can't remember right now
Basically, it's all here but if packaged up, may attract more users who don't have the time, skills or inclination to get their hands dirty
- Other mods -
  * Merge the account_login and account_create pages to reduce one step in checkout
  * a Tag Cloud for keywords like the French cart and Virtuemart have it as a contribution
  * more templates
I also hear a call for more shipping and payment modules
hm2k wrote: and when you need it by
Required by whenever. I know you guys are busy trying to earn a buck while donating your time.

Also, add a marketing line in the install notes, something like
If you enjoy our software, you are welcome to donate to support further developments. The link to donation.

jty

Post by david.gilbert » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:42 pm

jty wrote:
May I be Joey please  ;D
- An admin interface controlled turn on/off for the following contributions

Go to Extensions -> Module You can enable/disable modules there  ;D

-Dave

Professional Website Services - http://www.davidmgilbert.com/

Location - Mount Compass, South Australia

Post by jty » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:58 pm

david.gilbert wrote: Go to Extensions -> Module You can enable/disable modules there  ;D
Yer, but for new users, the stuff is not in "one package" like it is with the French Cart.
The great thing about the French cart is that anyone with low skills can just install and go clicking.

With Open Cart, I have had to spend long hours researching this forum and applying and breaking code to get what I want. While I'm willing to do this and not whinging about it, Open Cart could attract a larger market share by making it easier for new comers.

I'm happy, I have 95% of what I want in Open Cart and Open Cart suits me better than the others carts like the French one. But I'm thinking of how to get Open Cart out there competing with eg Virtue and the French one.

It's about marketing

jty

Post by Qphoria » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:06 pm

Well now that there is an American working on the team... you can bet that we will do our best to beat that "French" cart!  ;D :D

Administrator

Post by david.gilbert » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:18 pm

Qphoria wrote: Well now that there is an American working on the team... you can bet that we will do our best to beat that "French" cart!  ;D :D
Je devine que les Français n'ont rien à s'inquiéter pour pendant un moment alors.  ;D
Last edited by david.gilbert on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by jty » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:00 pm

Qphoria wrote: Well now that there is an American working on the team... you can bet that we will do our best to beat that "French" cart!  ;D :D
Yer, but the Aussies did the hard work and wrote alot of the contributions :P
david.gilbert wrote: Je devine que les Français n'ont rien à s'inquiéter pour pendant un moment alors.  ;D
Oh no, David, please don't start that here
I have spent countless weeks/months in the French cart learning francais so I can understand them  ;D

I reckon Open cart cart can beat the French. Just need to package it up and Open cart will be lighter and sleeker than the Francais
Last edited by jty on Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jty

Post by david.gilbert » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:03 pm

I'm Only trying to diversify the forum!  ;) The french have the right to understand some of what is said about them :P

Post by JohnnyO » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:39 pm

jty wrote:
Yer, but the Aussies did the hard work and wrote alot of the contributions :P
That's why we like you!  .. And, I think some of the recognition belongs to the UK

If you make it idiot proof, they will just build a better idiot.

Location - Denver, CO - USA

Post by Qphoria » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:41 pm

hmm.. uk?? aussies??

I don't think there are even people there... at least not on my World map:
http://www.ilmatar.net/~np/hate/america.gif[/img]

;D ;D

Administrator

Post by jty » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:55 am

JohnnyO wrote: And, I think some of the recognition belongs to the UK
Yer but Daniel is too busy in the engine room to come in and stick up for the UK
We should have pizza delivered to Daniel to help him get through

Back on topic -
I also remembered
- A Close Shop feature where shop owners (store owners) can close the shop for maintenance
- A Last Viewed module on the side of the page

PS: Qphoria. They aren't dragons. They are Kangaroos

jty

Post by Qphoria » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:20 am

These are actually all really good ideas. Now that we released 0.7.9 RC2, we are getting very close to the final release of 0.7.9.
We see 0.7.9 as a major bug improvement build. Once that is finalized, we can set our aim at adding new features.

We are actively discussing ideas on what to add to the core, either from existing contribs, or from other ideas like the ones brought up in this thread. We are trying to get some life back into the cart system and the plan is to start improving the visibility of OpenCart in the competitive e-commerce market.

Cheers!

Administrator

Post by jty » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:18 am

- Catolog only template - the ability to hide prices and the cart for just a catalog
- The one that randomfactor just wrote
- ability to import from oscommerce. Does Jeff's thing do that?
- Wishlist/Save cart. Add to cart and come back later when I got the money
- Product short description which we can use on the category page. It's done in v1.0 beta
- Move the folder from the left to the right to be near the edit and delete buttons. Would make it more intuitive and stop us asking how to add sub cats and options

There's also a call for multi-shop
Last edited by jty on Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

jty

Post by fido-x » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Well now that there is an American working on the team...
I guess this means we'll have to go through ALL the English language files and fix up the spelling mistakes  ;D

Modules for OpenCart 2.3.0.2
Homepage Module [Free - since OpenCart 0.7.7]
Multistore Extensions
Store Manager Multi-Vendor/Multi-Store management tool

If you're not living on the edge ... you're taking up too much space!

Expert Member

Location - Tasmania, Australia

Post by Qphoria » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:17 pm

LOL nice... but we don't go throwing "u" into words that don't need them! Colour...honour....saviour... indeed. The Firefox spell check is screaming at me with red underlines all over the place.  ;D

Lucky we don't call it OupenCarte
Last edited by Qphoria on Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Administrator

Post by fido-x » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:17 am

Lucky we don't call it OupenCarte
Isn't that what the French call it?

Modules for OpenCart 2.3.0.2
Homepage Module [Free - since OpenCart 0.7.7]
Multistore Extensions
Store Manager Multi-Vendor/Multi-Store management tool

If you're not living on the edge ... you're taking up too much space!

Expert Member

Location - Tasmania, Australia