Post by 6ilverfox » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:57 pm

It seems that their isn't much information on setting up Multistore. And I found nothing in how to setup with your directadmin panel.

I have a directadmin account where I can add as much domains as I want.

What I did I installed OC1.4.8b on my main store domain.

as domain.extention/opencart

Now I want domain2.extention/ to be the second store
domain3.extention/ to be the third store and so on.

I allready made a new store in the admin of OC but can't figure out what to do in OC to get it to point to the main stoc.

Anyone can help?

Post by SteveSherry » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:20 pm

I've found this guide very useful in the past,
it will only take a little adapting to make it work for you.
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=14084

My Website ¦ Summer Madness Special Offer ¦

Location - Wirral, UK

Post by 6ilverfox » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:50 pm

Thanks, but unfortunatly their is no info of doing this online

Post by SteveSherry » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:20 pm

The guide is for localhost, but the principle has enabled me to do this several times online.

Basically you "point" your subdomain (or add on domain) to the root (or whereever the store is installed)
Once you've set up the new domain/subdomain in the admin then it will all work.

My Website ¦ Summer Madness Special Offer ¦

Location - Wirral, UK

Post by 6ilverfox » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:40 pm

Thank you Steve for you answers. The problem is I can't find that option in Directadmin to redirect it to the folder where my opencart installation is. I think I will ask my host for help with this.

If someone nows the answer on the directadmin part let me know :)

Post by jules_nz » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:32 am

Could someone please clarify how to point the subdomain of the second shop to the installation of the first one

I have set up the subdomain, added the new multi shop in the admin and set the url as the new subdomain
But how do I 'Point" the subdomain to the correct files?

I tired a redirect - but that just redirects to the first shop

Do you have to add a copy of the index file and the config file from the shop and edit those??

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Julie

Post by Xsecrets » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:50 am

jules_nz wrote:Could someone please clarify how to point the subdomain of the second shop to the installation of the first one

I have set up the subdomain, added the new multi shop in the admin and set the url as the new subdomain
But how do I 'Point" the subdomain to the correct files?

I tired a redirect - but that just redirects to the first shop

Do you have to add a copy of the index file and the config file from the shop and edit those??

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Julie
the problem is you setup your subdomain to point somewhere else otherwise you wouldn't be able to do a redirect. You probably setup the subdomain to point to a subfolder you don't do that you point it to the same folder as the original opencart install. Noone can tell you how to do that with complete accuracy because it will be different in different control panels. If you tell us which control panel you have maybe someone can help. I'm sure that people could tell you how to do it in cpanel or plesk the two main panels, but if you have a one off panel then you'll probably have to ask your hosting company how to do it.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by jules_nz » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:00 am

Thanks for your reply Xsecrets
I have Plesk for my control panel
jules_nz wrote:You probably setup the subdomain to point to a subfolder you don't do that you point it to the same folder as the original opencart install.
My original opencart install is in a subfolder - will that not work?

Post by Xsecrets » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:06 am

jules_nz wrote:Thanks for your reply Xsecrets
I have Plesk for my control panel
jules_nz wrote:You probably setup the subdomain to point to a subfolder you don't do that you point it to the same folder as the original opencart install.
My original opencart install is in a subfolder - will that not work?
you know I'm not sure, but I think it would, but you would need to point your new subdomain to that folder or to the same root as your original domain. Then the new store you create in the admin would be http://subdomain.domain.com/ if you pointed it to the folder, or http://subdomain.domain.com/folder/ if you pointed it to the root, but won't work is pointing the subdomain to a totally different folder than the opencart install.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by jules_nz » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:13 am

Okay well I am happy to play around with changing all that if need be
But its the pointing of the sub-domain in Plesk that I still dont know how to do
So if anyone can help with that part I would appreciate it

Post by shatadon » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:46 am

ok... here is a set by step process of how to setup multi store fronts:

Assuming you already have your main store installed, let me explain.
i'm on a Linux server using Cpanel so these instructions are mostly effective with Cpanel users.
(let's say your main store is installed here: "public_html/mainstore" and is accessible by url http://www.domain.com/ )

1. Login to your Cpanel and goto the "subdomains".

2.Create a Subdomain: "store2". In the 'document root' you will notice the path "public_html/store2". change that to "public_html/mainstore" (because this is where your original OC Store is) then click "create"

3.now goto the admin of your OC, click on System -> Settings and create a new store.

4. Type the name of the new store then make sure the url is 'http://store2.domain.com/'
then click 'Save'

now when you navigate to url sub domain u will see store2...
Now here are the highlights. DO NOT CREATE A FOLDER WHEN CREATING YOUR SUBDOMAIN/ADDON DOMAIN.
CHANGE THE DIRECTORY TO YOUR MAIN OC STORE BEFORE YOU CLICK CREATE.

this is the only way it work for me... you should have no problem.

Post by jules_nz » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:52 am

Thanks for your reply Shatadon
I dont use CPanel for my main domain - but I do some admin for another domain with it
And I can see how easy it is to do it in CPanel

However I dont think its quite as easy with Plesk
Reading up on things I think I need to edit the vhost.conf file (which unfortunately my provider has locked down) So I have to give the instructions to them

I think this page is the best instructions http://www.onlinehowto.net/Tutorials/Pl ... -Plesk/175

Post by somwicked » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:37 am

Ok. Quick question since this thread is addressing multi-store setup with cPanel.

I did a quick install of 1.4.8 to a subdirectory (/oc/) of the original domain (domain1.com), setup the add-on domain (domain2.com) to point to the subdirectory. Configured the domain2 store in OC and things work swimmingly.

However, I don't really want to blow away the existing site to test the next part, so I thought I would ask ...

What if the store is installed in the root directory and not a subdirectory?

cPanel add-on domains require a subdomain be created, so you cannot point to the /.

Has anyone added a 2nd store with the default store already installed to /? If so, how? Are you doing this entirely through htaccess and does the index.php take over from there, or something else?

Following the instructions (above) about using a subdomain works well. However, I would really like to have a domain2.com as the 2nd stores URL. Any ideas?

Post by jules_nz » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:11 am

I still cant get this working :(
Has anyone set this up using Plesk on a shared server?

Post by kilobit » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:31 pm

I run my own direct admin server and I also use cubecart-multi store.

All I did the get mine going was to create the subdomains like you should have done already via the da panel then, log into your shell account.

Next you want to use a symbolic link for your subdomain that points to the files in your main domains open cart directory.

I did something like this:

ln -s /home/account/domain/main.domain/public_html/subdomain_folder/ /home/account/domain/main.domain/public_html/opencart_folder/

Please check the syntax on that, I will dig up my shell logs and check for you but that all I did for each subdomain to get them working.

***EDITED***
I checked my logs and this is the exact command I used but I took out the personal info.

ln -s /home/*****/domains/42l.com/public_html/open_cart/* /home/*****/domai
ns/42l.com/public_html/subdomain/

Post by jules_nz » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:04 am

Thanks for your replies
The company I have my reseller account with have told me that I cant make these changes on the shared server
So I guess multi-store just isn't for me :(

Post by kilobit » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:53 am

You absolutely can make these changes on a shared server! By the way in my last post I meant to say opencart not cu**cart :o

Anyway, if you can have a subdomain on your account and ssh access then its fine. All you are doing is adding a symbolic link like a shortcut in your start menu. It does not matter if you have 1ip of 10,000ips most hosting companies all use virtual hosting. The only reason you would need a separate ip is for SSL with a valid certificate.

It never hurts to just try it, if you need help email or pm me and I will help you.

Post by jules_nz » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:36 am

Accept it looks like Openhost (the company I use) has disabled ssh for those on shared servers

This is from their website....
The SSH is only available on the VPS subscriptions, so for Shared Hosting Subscriptions, please use FTP

Post by kilobit » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:16 am

Thats just crappy! I pay for my own server and only have about 3 resellers. Anyways I could not imagine not having shell access, maybe you should find a new host! I would help you out but im in the US.

Post by lotus » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:53 am

shatadon wrote:ok... here is a set by step process of how to setup multi store fronts:

Assuming you already have your main store installed, let me explain.
i'm on a Linux server using Cpanel so these instructions are mostly effective with Cpanel users.
(let's say your main store is installed here: "public_html/mainstore" and is accessible by url http://www.domain.com/ )

1. Login to your Cpanel and goto the "subdomains".

2.Create a Subdomain: "store2". In the 'document root' you will notice the path "public_html/store2". change that to "public_html/mainstore" (because this is where your original OC Store is) then click "create"

3.now goto the admin of your OC, click on System -> Settings and create a new store.

4. Type the name of the new store then make sure the url is 'http://store2.domain.com/'
then click 'Save'

now when you navigate to url sub domain u will see store2...
Now here are the highlights. DO NOT CREATE A FOLDER WHEN CREATING YOUR SUBDOMAIN/ADDON DOMAIN.
CHANGE THE DIRECTORY TO YOUR MAIN OC STORE BEFORE YOU CLICK CREATE.

this is the only way it work for me... you should have no problem.
shatadon,

This is very helpful and great if you setting up using subdomains. :)

How would the pointing be done if it was a different domain name altogether or a add-on domain instead of subdomain.

thanks in advance.