Post by Karen » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:53 pm

I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I couldn't find it.

Just now testing out the ordering process, and I notice that I (as a customer) was sent not 1, but 2 emails. One was the "Thank your for your order from" email with the logo at the top, and the second was a Customer Receipt/Purchase Confirmation, which was weird in that it showed the billing but not the shipping info, and also the Mastercard transaction ID (why would a customer need that?)

Anyway, I don't see anywhere in the admin panel to that allows me to tailor these emails, so I'm assuming I will have to make any changes in the template files?

I definitely DON'T want 2 emails going to my customer (I find that to be obnoxious as a customer, myself), but haven't a clue how/where to specify only to send one or the other email but not both.

The default Thank You email gives a very tiny bit of space to the name of the product and way too much to the model number. I'm hoping that's fixable in the template file? I also want to remove the logo header, as nice an idea as that is, because I don't want to have to think about it not displaying in overly zealous mail programs like T-bird.

Help from any OC mail guru would be appreciated.

Using OC version 1.4.8b
http://catandcaboodle.com/

Location - WA State, USA

Post by Karen » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:06 pm

Okay, I know I can change the order confirmation email in catalog/view/theme/default/template/mail/order_confirm.tpl.

But I still don't know how to:

(a) fix the table in that email so the product column is wider than that for the product #
email.jpg

email.jpg (34.14 KiB) Viewed 6402 times

(b) stop the "Customer Receipt/Purchase Confirmation" email from being sent at all

(c) change the template for the admin order notification

Can somebody please help me with these?
Last edited by Karen on Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Location - WA State, USA

Post by kedgetech » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:51 pm

You can try this.

Open File catalog/view/theme/default/template/order_confirm.tpl

Find the line
"<th align="left" style="width: 15%; padding: 0.3em; color: #FFFFFF;"><?php echo $column_product; ?></th>"
replace with
<th align="left" style="width: 45%; padding: 0.3em; color: #FFFFFF;"><?php echo $column_product; ?></th>

Mind you I am testing on 1.4.7 and try and configure the width :45% or width: 40% or some other configuration works for you.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

sample.jpg

sample.jpg (53.41 KiB) Viewed 6398 times

Location - USA, Australia, India

Post by Karen » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:30 pm

Thanks very much! This worked beautifully.

I think I've answered my own question about the admin email, too. It's identical to the customer email.

I just really need to stop those "Customer Receipt/Purchase Confirmation" emails from being sent. Can someone please tell me how to do that?

Thanks.
Last edited by Karen on Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Using OC version 1.4.8b

Location - WA State, USA

Post by JAY6390 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:58 pm

b - not sure what you mean
c - The template for the admin and confirm are the same email

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by kedgetech » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:19 pm

I am assuming as a customer you are using the same email. Can you try using another emailID and see how you go

Location - USA, Australia, India

Post by Karen » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:31 am

Yes, I've done that.
It occurs to me that all I need to know (I think!) is which file is responsible for the sending of emails. Am assuming it's a controller file?

Using OC version 1.4.8b

Location - WA State, USA

Post by i2Paq » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:41 pm

Karen wrote:Thanks very much! This worked beautifully.

I think I've answered my own question about the admin email, too. It's identical to the customer email.

I just really need to stop those "Customer Receipt/Purchase Confirmation" emails from being sent. Can someone please tell me how to do that?

Thanks.
Why do you want that?

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by Karen » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:03 pm

i2Paq wrote:Why do you want that?
Because it doesn't include any useful information that the customer order email doesn't already have. In essence, it feels to me like spamming the customer with extraneous unnecessary email. (It's not truly spam, of course, but people are already sensitive to the amount of email they get, so a totally unnecessary one is uncalled-for, IMO.)

I sent Jay a copy of it, and he thinks it may be coming from the authorize.net module or from Authorize.net. I haven't checked the module yet, but I was certain it wasn't being sent by Authorize.net itself because I've had that account for years and they've never done that.

Now I'm not so sure. The headers seem to indicate that it WAS sent by them, but what on earth would be triggering it? I made no changes to my gateway account when I migrated my store, except to get a new key.

But if someone who knows the fine workings of the email part of OC (say, Q, if he comes back) could tell me exactly what portion of the program triggers emails to be sent, it could certainly speed up my detective work.

Using OC version 1.4.8b

Location - WA State, USA

Post by i2Paq » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:09 pm

OK, I see.

The only confirmation I get is the one with all the order-info stuff so it must be the payment module doing so.
In some cases it is the Law that makes the module send that e-mail, like a receipt when paying at a real store with you (credit)-card.
I'm not sure if you are allowed to stop that extra e-mail from being send, you may want to check first.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by Karen » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:14 pm

Think I just found the problem. I did a search on Authorize.net's help section, and discovered that there's a place to check if you want a transaction receipt sent to the customer. Mine was checked.

I have NO IDEA how that setting came to be checked. But I'll leave all this info here for the next Authorize.net customer who sets up OC and wonders what the dickens this extra email is about.

Using OC version 1.4.8b

Location - WA State, USA

Post by josiahgarber » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:33 am

Yes, If you are having problems with two receipts being sent to your customers then go on authorize.net and click on account at the top. You can then choose settings on the left, then 'email receipt', uncheck 'Enable Email Confirmation'.

Took me way too long to figure this out, so I hope more people find this post quicker than I did.

Post by lpittard19 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:00 am

@josiahgarber OMG thank you. WAYYYY to long trying to figure this out ! ;D

Post by butte » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:14 am

When you're fully satisfied that a given transaction processor sends a receipt or confirmation, which ordinarily should or will satisfy any legal requirement all by itself, then an additional one from you becomes in effect a courtesy notice. You can then prevent sending out even one. If you have plural transaction processors, then the problem becomes a matter of telling OC when to cool it and when to go for it.

Guru Member