Post by parkookk » Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:23 pm

Hi,
I would apprecite if someone give a detailed general description on how to give an access to someone who have made an extension that is not working properly on a site and they need to get access.

In Admin>User Group: Add new user group as programmer > and give access to the following:
Access Permission: ??
Modify Permission: ??

In cPanel>FTP Account>ADD>
AnyCoderUserName
Generate-a-Password
Directory: website root location?
And repeat the same and create another FTP account for the "Storage Directory" Location?

Once all is done, delete/disable them to prevent any future issue.

Location - london

Post by imdevlper18 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:37 pm

Hi,

First of all, you should only give access if you think the developer is trustworthy.
Second, it is better that you have a copy of your website "Test Website" and you give access to this only.
So it does not affect your Live Store.

In the permissions part, you can always ask the developer what is the path where your files are present.
Ex: extension/module/abandonedcart

As you see above this is the path for the abandoned cart. And you can tick this in the user groups.
Plus additionally, you will need to provide access to the Extension page. So the developer can reach this page.

Which will be a marketplace/extension.

If they want to install an update they will also need access to the marketplace/modification and marketplace/installer
page.

Other common page permission paths that you can provide:
1) Order list: sale/order
2) Products: catalog/product
3) Category: catalog/category
4) Customer: customer/customer

If the developers works on the order page:
1) user/api
2) localization/country

So better if you create a user group with the above permissions and then if something is still an error. The developer would ask you and you provide additional permission based on that.

Opencart Extensions | Professional opencart support | Support Ticket | support@cartbinder.com

Post by parkookk » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:03 pm

Thanks, what if the extension is just a simple install.xml, in that case which directory should I give them access?

Location - london

Post by imdevlper18 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:24 am

Good question.
In that case you might be aware what extension is about. Like it is adding a functionality on the order page or on the product page or setting page.

So if you know what extension does then you need to know which path it might be. Here you need little experience. If you are not sure just ask the dev what path he needs.

Then you can decide if he is asking for correct access or not.

Also best thing is to keep test site. So you are little safer.

Opencart Extensions | Professional opencart support | Support Ticket | support@cartbinder.com

Post by parkookk » Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:11 pm

Thank you all. It apears that creating a test website is the best solution.

Location - london

Post by parkookk » Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:42 pm

Ok, I have created the test website, however I have realised that in the config.php and .htaccess, there are information about the root of my base server directory. Is that safe to share?

Location - london

Post by imdevlper18 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:38 pm

Yes, when you share FTP just provide access to the newly created directory for the test website.
So the developer can only access the test folder and not your Root folder.
And the config file will have a path for the test folder and not the root folder.

Also, make sure the test website will have a new database. So those details will also change for the test website.

Post by parkookk » Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:21 pm

imdevlper18 wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:38 pm
Yes, when you share FTP just provide access to the newly created directory for the test website.
So the developer can only access the test folder and not your Root folder.
And the config file will have a path for the test folder and not the root folder.

Also, make sure the test website will have a new database. So those details will also change for the test website.
Thanks, here is a few lines from my OC3038 config.php files that I always thought should not be shared. I have changed the directory names to xxxx in here, those are the ones I thought no one should know but only the most trusted people. So I was wrong?

define('DIR_APPLICATION', '/home/xxxx/public_html/xxxx/mediasos.uk/catalog/');
define('DIR_SYSTEM', '/home/xxxx/public_html/xxxx/mediasos.uk/system/');
define('DIR_IMAGE', '/home/xxxx/public_html/xxxx/mediasos.uk/image/');
define('DIR_STORAGE', '/home/xxxx/public_html/xxxx/mediasos.uk/storage/');

Location - london