Post by svdumitrescu » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:39 am

Hi. I'm relatively new in the OC community. I've once worked some osCommerce stores, than quite a few Virtuemarts, J2Stores and MijoShops on Joomla. Among other web projects and applications. I like OC, it's more focused on the job, but I find it rather difficult to update. In Joomla well as other web apps the process is automated. I don't say this critiquely, just mention. So I purchased an OC bundled template for a small business I'm assisting, got it from Templates.com. The support there is quite elborate, not to say annoying, and in fact very poor. They delivered two versions, one 3.0.3.6 that does not fulfil orders, the procedure fails, and another was 3.0.3.3 which fulfils orders, but it's old. I think I have to update not only for extensions compatibility, to keep up with the changes, but also for security reasons. Is there any update package specificaly from 3.0.3.3 to say 3.0.3.7, or is there any safe and sure method to update any 3.0.3.x to say 3.0.3.8, please?

Post by straightlight » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:02 am

To the latest version.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by xxvirusxx » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:31 pm

svdumitrescu wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:39 am
So I purchased an OC bundled template for a small business I'm assisting, got it from Templates.com.
Developer should provide also only template and not a quickstart package.

Upgrade Service | OC 2.3.0.2 PHP 8 | My Custom OC 3.0.3.8 | Buy me a beer

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by JNeuhoff » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:14 pm

Most web themes are of poor quality and are not worth the money.

The best way to upgrade is to do a fresh install of the latest OpenCart version 3.0.3.8, and then use e.g. the Export/Import tool to copy you old data over to the new site. Than install all your extension and web theme. Don't use OpenCart's built-in upgrade, it often won't work.

If you need help with this project, you can always post it on the commercial support section of this forum, to find a professional developer who can do it as a paid custom job.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by ArcherData » Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:57 am

Updating is my single, biggest problem with OpenCart. I've been wishing for an updater to be added to the core product. I've tried some of the updater extensions, but they are problematic. I have purchased update services, but no luck there either. They run into problems and then just disappear and don't answer requests for help. It's not a good situation and if could be so much better for everyone, but I keep hoping.

Don Bledsoe

Location - Cherryvale, KS

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:41 am

An auto updater would be nice. My guess is that there would be a lot of issues with 3rd party extensions. Maybe / hopefully this is something the Opencart team is trying to figure out?

2 Week FREE Trial of our Shared Hosting plans (DIrectAdmin or cPanel) for new customers
2 Week FREE Trial of Astra Firewall and Malware Scanner
Visit our website for full details and to start your trial today - www.evolvewebhost.com

Location - Denver, Colorado, USA

Post by parkookk » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:12 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:14 pm
Most web themes are of poor quality and are not worth the money.

The best way to upgrade is to do a fresh install of the latest OpenCart version 3.0.3.8, and then use e.g. the Export/Import tool to copy you old data over to the new site. Than install all your extension and web theme. Don't use OpenCart's built-in upgrade, it often won't work.

If you need help with this project, you can always post it on the commercial support section of this forum, to find a professional developer who can do it as a paid custom job.
Hi
I didn't use any theme, however I have changed the colors etc to get the feel I need. Now what's the best way to upgrade from 3031 to 3038 and keep those changes I have done in the default theme?

If I take your advice and fresh install OC3038, then how can I get back to my theme?
Thanks

Location - london

Post by IP_CAM » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:53 am

Just compare the Files you modified with the Stock Files of the new Version, and change/edit/modify them accordingly ... :D

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by parkookk » Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:47 pm

What I have learned from my mistake is that to keep a copy of all my edited files in another folder (keeping the same directory structure) and this way when I'm upgrading I know where to look and edit. I have to say that as I edit some today, some next month and some a few months later, I forgot to keep a record of all my edits so still it's a pain for me to upgrade :laugh: :bash: :bang:

Location - london

Post by xxvirusxx » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:01 pm

Make an ocmod file with all your changes....

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by by mona » Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:29 am

parkookk wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:47 pm
What I have learned from my mistake
I agree with the xxvirusxx your mistake is to make manual edits to files.
Modules / Extensions / Ocmods / Vqmods all need updating - but if you have that it is SO SO SO much easier

Re the files - you should be able to ask your host to recover them for you from a backup
Re upgrade - https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... sion_id=17

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by haxcop » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:00 pm

Technical method = Use GIT + OCMOD for your mods with error='log' so you could track any changes in it + Don't use the Upgrade sql File (Unless you alter these from MyISAM and Charset + Collation) otherwise you will spend too much time fixing these ...
Have all the modules previously updated to work with the version of OC to work with.

Less technical
Use as recommended by the previous reply:
Fresh install.
Install all your previous mod/etc
Import/Export your DB
But you will still run most probably into warnings or errors and will require debug and fixes

Location - Dublin

Post by parkookk » Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:09 pm

haxcop wrote:
Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:00 pm
Technical method = Use GIT + OCMOD for your mods with error='log' so you could track any changes in it + Don't use the Upgrade sql File (Unless you alter these from MyISAM and Charset + Collation) otherwise you will spend too much time fixing these ...
Have all the modules previously updated to work with the version of OC to work with.

Less technical
Fresh install.
Import/Export your DB
But you will still run most probably into warnings or errors and will require debug and fixes
Thanks, so if I do a fresh install on a test server and import my DB, all my products will come to the new one? Before importing what is the best way to remove all the demo products, files etc?

Location - london

Post by xxvirusxx » Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:43 pm

parkookk wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:09 pm
Before importing what is the best way to remove all the demo products, files etc?
Try this script
https://github.com/condor2/Data-Sweeper

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by parkookk » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:37 pm

parkookk wrote:
haxcop wrote:

Less technical
Fresh install.
Import/Export your DB
Thanks, so if I do a fresh install on a test server and import my DB, all my products will come to the new one?
Before importing I want to remove all the demo products, files etc, so what are the steps to make sure to remove them all before importing my new database?
is it:
Remove products, categories, options.
compare the old files/folders with new ones and remove the old ones

Location - london

Post by parkookk » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:48 pm

by mona wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:29 am
parkookk wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:47 pm
What I have learned from my mistake
I agree with the xxvirusxx your mistake is to make manual edits to files.
Modules / Extensions / Ocmods / Vqmods all need updating - but if you have that it is SO SO SO much easier

Re the files - you should be able to ask your host to recover them for you from a backup
Re upgrade - https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... sion_id=17
Thanks Mona, this extension doesn't Export/Import reviews. I need to make sure no information gets lost.

Location - london

Post by parkookk » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:49 pm

parkookk wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:37 pm
parkookk wrote:
haxcop wrote:

Less technical
Fresh install.
Import/Export your DB
Thanks, so if I do a fresh install on a test server and import my DB, all my products, reviews etc. will come to the new one?
Before importing I want to remove all the demo products, files etc, so what are the steps to make sure to remove them all before importing my new database?
is it:
Remove products, categories, options.
compare the old files/folders with new ones and remove the old ones

Location - london

Post by parkookk » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:51 pm

xxvirusxx wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:43 pm
parkookk wrote:
Before importing what is the best way to remove all the demo products, files etc?
Try this script
Thanks, I'll give it a try, it looks amazing.

Location - london

Post by parkookk » Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:44 pm

parkookk wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:51 pm
xxvirusxx wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:43 pm
parkookk wrote:
Try this script
Thanks, I'll give it a try, it looks amazing.
I have now:
-Installed a fresh OC 3.0.3.8,
-Used the https://github.com/condor2/Data-Sweeper
-in phpMyAdmin, I can see there are still 136 tables in it's database.

Do I need to drop these tables off before importing my main website database?

Location - london

Post by xxvirusxx » Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:15 pm

Importing with what?

Expert Member

Location - România