Post by gjordan » Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:44 am

Hi, I came a couple of months ago looking to install Opencart, so I got to the download page, and it said the last version is 4.0.01, in the download page does not say anything about this version is not suitable for production, so I downloaded and installed. After some days trying to make it work and failed, I just uninstalled it and installed 3.8. So I think it could be a good idea to at least write it down on the text of the download, that way people could decide which version to install. I just sing for this forum because I have some weird bugs and could not find information in any other place, today I notice the last stable version is 3.8. Many will said, well you should came before and read the forum, but not everyone that comes looking for a software sing in the forum if not until there is no other information available or has weird troubles. Well thats my suggestion to improve the user experience, thanks

Post by IP_CAM » Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:51 pm

Well. you did not pay a single Cent, to get a 'last Version' Moneymaker Software, so, what did you expect ? :laugh: :crazy:

But you're right, and I fully agree, it's a frustrating Experience, for those, unaware about the Opencart Concept, to find out, that a 'latest' new Version of a Software is not yet working as planned. But Opencart is basically a 'One-Man' Show, and it's 'Producer' heavy depends on Friends and Users, to still find out about Problems and Misses, this has been the Case, since Opencart exists. And even the 'BIG Fellows', like Microsoft, had similar Problems with their 'first' Releases, they all had to depend on Users, to still find Misses, so, Opencart is not alone with this.

Still, it could/should have been mentioned by Opencart, that v.4.x is not yet ready as 'Production Release', it would possibly have kept many (OC-Newcomers) from ending up in Frustration. But it's outside of anyone at the OC Forum, to have any influence of such. So, better take it, as it comes, and don't complain, as I wrote, it comes for free, with nothing attached to it, but a User Forum, where one can find out easy, what Version still runs best yet.

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by mike@electronone.com » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:32 am

IP_CAM wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:51 pm
Well. you did not pay a single Cent, to get a 'last Version' Moneymaker Software, so, what did you expect ? :laugh: :crazy:

But you're right, and I fully agree, it's a frustrating Experience, for those, unaware about the Opencart Concept, to find out, that a 'latest' new Version of a Software is not yet working as planned. But Opencart is basically a 'One-Man' Show, and it's 'Producer' heavy depends on Friends and Users, to still find out about Problems and Misses, this has been the Case, since Opencart exists. And even the 'BIG Fellows', like Microsoft, had similar Problems with their 'first' Releases, they all had to depend on Users, to still find Misses, so, Opencart is not alone with this.

Still, it could/should have been mentioned by Opencart, that v.4.x is not yet ready as 'Production Release', it would possibly have kept many (OC-Newcomers) from ending up in Frustration. But it's outside of anyone at the OC Forum, to have any influence of such. So, better take it, as it comes, and don't complain, as I wrote, it comes for free, with nothing attached to it, but a User Forum, where one can find out easy, what Version still runs best yet.
I agree with your assertion that 'you get what you pay for' however I somewhat disagree your suggestion "Opencart Concept, to find out, that a 'latest' new Version of a Software is not yet working as planned" is in any way acceptable, and that users should have low expectations.

Beta, Release Candidate.... these are the way one should describe software that's made available before it's complete.

In my case I switched over a couple of sites from Magento Community edition because Adobe is marching away from the small biz market. I'm not fully convinced it was a good move but I'm hopeful. As a new-to-OC site manager, I'm somewhat frightened that fundamental things that should be simple (like email sending problems and handling of pop-up messages) should not be present even in Beta software.