Post by agt718 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:51 am

In Regard to the Master Product / Variant Product

This is what I have understood so far.
Master Product is the main. It contains all general information, attributes, and options possible related to the product. So, I can create a product (disabled) with all the possible options and attributes.

Variant Product extends the Master Product with the ability to pick and choose which options and attributes to choose. I can also add more If I wanted.

So, is this the purpose of this feature?
Spend a long time creating a master product with all possible options (related to that product group) and then quickly with a few clicks create new products.
Questions I have:
Can the variant be unlinked from the master to be its own product after creation?
Do Changes in variant travel upward to the master?
If the master is updated, will it update variants that have their own custom changes?

Thanks

Update

Playing more with the Master variant product, it looks very promising. I can update a single master product and all its static options (in relation to the master product) will get updated. I do not need to go to each sub-product and edit it separately.
It might be easier than dealing with Dependent Options. One reason I use the dependent option is that I do not want the hassle of editing multiple products, However, with this addition that might not be the case.
Real-life example
A custom invoice book with different sizes. Everything, about, 90% is the same.
Master Product Info
Product Name
Product Description [Same for all]

Master Product Options (that I can toggle on or off in sub/variant products)
Size A [Variant Size 1]
Size B [Variant Size 1]
Size C [Variant Size 1]
Size D [Variant Size 1]
Ink [Same for all]
Numbering [Same for all]

I believe this is a game changer for easing product management in online shopping.
Great job developers and thanks.

Useful GitHub Links
Variant Product Discussions

Variant Product Discussions Issues
Last edited by agt718 on Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:58 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post by by mona » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:45 am

What Master Product / Variant Product ?
What product group ?
What OC version ?

viewtopic.php?t=200480

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by TMD Extension @ » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:28 pm

Your query is not clear, can you share some more info so that we can assist you

Thanks & Regards
Sehaj Kaur
TMD Extensions
Contact Us For Customisations

Post by JNeuhoff » Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:47 pm

I assume you are using OpenCart 4 which has introduced the concept of product variants.

First of all, don't use OpenCart 4 for a live website, it is still subject to many bugfixes and development. Use OpenCart 3.0.3.8 or the 3.0.x.x_Maintenance release.

Also, IMHO there is no real benefit of using variant products. It is a lot easier to just copy an existing product (even when disabled) and then to modify the copied product to your needs.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by by mona » Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:35 pm

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by agt718 » Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:12 pm

Mona, TMD Extension, and JNeuhoff thanks for your replies.

This is a core feature in Opencart 4, not an extension.
https://www.opencart.com/blog/opencart- ... what-s-new
Here is a small video creating a variant from a master with selected options.

Post by David Rogers » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:01 pm

In my situation product variants in Opencart 4 seem not nearly as good as some of the add-ons for Opencart 3.

Instead of having one product listing with all the variants occupying just one product square of screen space the Opencart 4 version gives a separate on screen product space to each variant.
So for one of our products we get 3 on screen squares of product space instead of one. Some of our products have over 20 variants and a couple with towards 100 so the screen will appear to be full of the same product and finding the variant you want will be cumbersome. Added to this we have different pricing (discounts) for different quantities of the same product which is different for some of the variants. While some of the variants can be combined and some of the pricing discounts are the same for several variants of one product even having 3 screen spaces instead of 1 seems like a bad idea to me for our products. As an example we currently have 26 basic listings for Product Range A, each with a minimum of 2 variants so we would need to increase to a minimum of 52 because the pricing structure is different dependent on one of the variants and all variants have discounts related to quantity. This leads to an overly full screen with many products pushed out of sight requiring the customer to scroll further to find them.

Master Product/Variant feature seems to be a fairly poor upgrade of the Copy Product feature in Opencart 3.
Please feel free to rant back at me as maybe I have missed the point. I am not a developer, just a fairly new user who until recently was using Xcart.