Post by Akdreifing » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:58 pm

Hello

We have Opencart 3.0.3.6 and are experiencing allot of cache issues with the site.
For example:
* Each time we add folder or image in the image manager for products, we always need to clear cache before we can see it.
So we go to image manager, create a folder, need to clear browser cache to be able to see it, then we can upload images to that folder, and again need to clear cache to be able to see and use those images.

For other changes such as in layout we also need to clear cache after each change to see them in the backend / frontend

Site is hosted with siteground and we have disabled supercacher on the hosting, that helped a bit with few issues, but is there any way we can limit the caching a bit more? this gets a bit frustrating when working on the site.

I know caching is a good thing but this is insane compared to wordpress, shopify and other systems we use on other sites.

Thanks in advance

Post by by mona » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:00 pm

Have you disabled caching in dashboard top right cog and disabled your browser caching for development purposes?

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by Akdreifing » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:30 pm

by mona wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:00 pm
Have you disabled caching in dashboard top right cog and disabled your browser caching for development purposes?
Thank you

To be fair, I did not know about these options, I tried to disable both theme and SASS in the developer settings on top right in dashbord, but still same issues are going on in the backend.
What is worse, the issue causes allot of troubles for customers in front end, when I use the frontend such as a customer would, I constantly need to be pressing F5 to refresh the site to see changes made withing the cart (remove item for example does not disapear from cart untill refresh), if I log in via checkout process, add products to cart etc.

Post by by mona » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:34 pm

Akdreifing wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:30 pm
What is worse, the issue causes allot of troubles for customers in front end, when I use the frontend such as a customer would, I constantly need to be pressing F5 to refresh the site to see changes made withing the cart (remove item for example does not disapear from cart untill refresh), if I log in via checkout process, add products to cart etc.
Those issues are not connected to Opencart.
You need to check with your extensions / themes / server / htaccess / headers ...

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

Expert Member

Post by Akdreifing » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:05 pm

[/quote]

Those issues are not connected to Opencart.
You need to check with your extensions / themes / server / htaccess / headers ...
[/quote]

I have set up opencart now on 3 different sites, all have this same cache issue from stock opencart.
No other ecommerce system I have used has these cache issues (and I have set up quite a bit of them through the years)
Stock theme, stock opencart, no added extensions, no cache from server, so I'm at a loss...

I have just now had to add a couple of codes just so I can get the checkout to work due to cache issues (would not recognize that a shipping method was selected if users refreshed site or went back to cart and through checkout second time after going through shipping options in checkout ones)

I have never experienced a more bugged system that needs as much code editing to get it to work as I have with Opencart, but I'm still sticking with it and learning as I go since it seems like a good system to use, ones you fix the bugs.
There is no way for me to get opencart to work out of the box correctly without some issues.

If you or anyone have any more ideas as to what I could look into that would be greatly appriciated!

Post by by mona » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:07 pm

Attached are the two issues you are described on OC3.0.3.6
As you see I have no problem at all. I do not have to refresh anything.

Yes there are bugs, it is the newest version and not all the bugs have been found / fixed.
Moreover Microsoft Office has more bugs in it than anything I have ever personally used, that is my worst piece of software and you don’t have the joy of being able to fix it !!!! I absolutely hate that piece of bells whistles and the kitchen sink ..
However, I accept that I personally do not recommend OC3.0.3.6 or OC3.0.3.5, I like OC3.0.3.2 and actually I am having a pleasant experience with OC3.0.3.1 at the moment and might actually choose to work with that one in the future.

You might find this post helpful
viewtopic.php?f=199&t=220423

Attachments

2Screen-Shot-2020-10-16-at-13.48.25.jpg

2Screen-Shot-2020-10-16-at-13.48.25.jpg (68.06 KiB) Viewed 2744 times

1Screen-Shot-2020-10-16-at-13.51.55.jpg

1Screen-Shot-2020-10-16-at-13.51.55.jpg (93.05 KiB) Viewed 2744 times

DISCLAIMER:

Expert Member

Post by sw!tch » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:02 am

If you are having to clear your browser cache to see changes, then its most likely due to improper cache control headers.

See here - viewtopic.php?f=201&t=207498#p737358

Full Stack Web Developer :: Send a PM for Custom Work.
Backup and learn how to recover before you make any changes!