Post by rocketfoot » Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:32 pm

So, I have an old 1.5.6 cart but I would like to update to the latest and greatest...I tried about a year ago and it crashed my whole site and I had to relaod from a backup! So am I stuck in 1.5.6 land or is there a conversion I can use to upgrade?

OpenCart 3.0.3.8
www.wattstruckcenter.com/shop

Post by Johnathan » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:53 pm

Hire someone to do it for you. Upgrading OpenCart is not straightforward, unfortunately, so the best method is to have an experienced developer do it for you. If you need to find a developer, you can post a request in the OpenCart "Commercial Support" forum, which is checked by a number of OpenCart developers. You can also try checking out the OpenCart "Partners" area.

There are also some upgrade services you can purchase in the opencart.com marketplace (https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... /extension) so you could look in there. Those are typically just upgrading OpenCart though, and will not fix any extension issues if those need to be upgraded as well, so sometimes it's better to hire someone to do everything for you. It's more expensive, but it can be worth it if you need to upgrade.

Lastly, I'll just point out: unless you're having issues in your current installation, there's really no reason to upgrade OpenCart. There are no security issues in OpenCart 1.5.6 that I'm aware of, so you'd only be upgrading to have access to more extensions, or some of the newer OpenCart features. None of those are to-die-for in my opinion, so you're fine sticking with OpenCart 1.5.6 as long as it's working well for you.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by rocketfoot » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:23 pm

Sounds like good advice! LOL! I am not really having any issues other than PHP. My server was just upgraded today and found a 400 error on open cart with PHP 7.2 so I had to roll it back to like PHP5.6 to work again! But I guess if it ain't broke...don't fix it!

Thanks again!

OpenCart 3.0.3.8

Post by johnp » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:41 pm

As mentioned on here many times. If you upgrade your encryption.php file your site will work on PHP7. I have several clients still running 1.5.6.4/5 based sites on PHP7 with no problems. Add on a responsive theme and your site will have life left in it while you look at doing a proper planned upgrade. I suggest cloning your live site and practice doing an upgrade on that. Other opinions are also available. :)

Opencart 1.5.6.5/OC Bootstrap Pro/VQMOD lover, user and geek.
Affordable Service £££ - Opencart Installs, Fixing, Development and Upgrades
Plus Ecommerce, Marketing, Mailing List Management and More
FREE Guidance and Advice at https://www.ecommerce-help.co.uk

Location - Surrey, UK

Post by Cue4cheap » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:28 am

As Johnp said clone your site and try it. I went from 1.5.6.4 to 2.3.0.2 without issues. I had one extension installed that choked but I disabled it before the next upgrade attempt and it went without issue.
I was happy with 1.5.6.4 but when my webhost upgraded to 7.x without allowing a downgrade I tried the encryption.php change but for me it just seemed to glitch every once in a while and I still don't know why but that was my main drive to go to 2.x.
Now with that being said I did NOT try 3.x because I don't like twig (I just don't know it) and I am a bit put off with them removing most of the shipping and payment extensions.

Mike

cue4cheap not cheap quality

Expert Member

Post by IP_CAM » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:16 pm

Johnathan wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:53 pm
Lastly, I'll just point out: unless you're having issues in your current installation, there's really no reason to upgrade OpenCart. There are no security issues in OpenCart 1.5.6 that I'm aware of, so you'd only be upgrading to have access to more extensions, or some of the newer OpenCart features. None of those are to-die-for in my opinion, so you're fine sticking with OpenCart 1.5.6 as long as it's working well for you.
Well, I was waiting for a long time, to eventually find a 'neutral' and qualified Comment on that matter. It will hopefully keep others, from further posting unqualified crab-comments about 'technically outdated' and 'potentially problemsome' Versions like 1.5.6.4+ around here, just to convince Users, to move up to some later Version. My Test Sites get 'bombed' on a daily schedule, and I so far locked out about 500'000 IP Numbers in my .htaccess file, to keep those Boozoo Brains out of my Sites. Still, none of them was ever able, to kill one of my OC Installations.

It's just of no use, to treat older OC Versions like an unwanted Step Child, neither for OC, nor for anyone else. Or then, OC should keep them from beeing accessable. Emotional arguments should have no place in a technical User Forum, Comments should be based on Facts, but sure not on some weird Ideologies, only disqualifying those, who make 'em.

Ernie
https://github.com/IP-CAM
http://www.opencart.li/light/

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by rocketfoot » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:02 am

I feel that the cart works fine, but I am more worried about the 3rd party apps I have installed to make it work the way I need it too...seems like the plugins get outdated and/or can break a lot easier than the software. Plus stuff like UPS and USPS are always updating their api's so if there is no support for old plugins, new api's aren't going to work! That's the only reason that would motivate me to upgrade.

OpenCart 3.0.3.8

Post by johnp » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:07 am

At the very least personally I would upgrade to 1.5.6.5 and stick a responsive theme on. Yes V2 and V3 are available and ideally you should be looking at one of those but 1.5.6.5 would be a good stop gap IMO.

Location - Surrey, UK

Post by IP_CAM » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:30 am

Plus stuff like UPS and USPS are always updating their api's so if there is no support for old
plugins, new api's aren't going to work! That's the only reason that would motivate me to upgrade.
Well, one can always get paid support from one of the Pros, familiar with older Version Code, whereby
later OC Versions are confronted with exactly the same problem. So, moving up, just to eventually be
confronted with the same problem, (among a bunch of new one's :choke: ) really makes not much sense,
from my personal point of view at least.

Better let them finish the remaining 1 percent of their Job, (as claimed), like, to solve the problems with
later Versions PHP 7 + TWIG. Still, VqMod and OcMod will no longer be (official) part of it, meaning, that a
new bread of 'extensions' will be required, to make it work as planned.

But as long as matching extensions for OC v.2.x Versions exist, for a Pro, it's likely a matter of minutes,
to make it work with 1.5.6.5. OC v.3.x Version Mods are harder to adopt, because they use TWIG, meaning,
that Theme Code needs to be reworked, if exists, instead of (usually) only the corresponding controller-file.

It all depends on what one specifically requires. Some drive their Cars, 'til they break down, and others
can't wait, to get their hand on latest Models. It's the way how things work , with and/or without emotions ... :laugh:

Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by johnp » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:59 pm

Totally agree Ernie. I have clients using OC 1.5.6.5 who are struggling due to the CV situation hurting their business. If I suggested and upgrade to V2 or V3 and a large invoice for the work they would laugh at me. My clients just want a platform that works, is cheap to run and doesn't need constant work so they can just concentrate on promoting and hopefully selling their products. The virus situation whether real or fake has knocked the global economy and changed the way business is done and will be done forever. My clients at least don't have the money to spend on updrades, in many cases are stuck with stock going out of date and are competing in an ever decreasing market. A lot of my business now comes from just keeping clients going. Maybe that will change. Maybe it won't but again, an upgrade to a newer version of OC is currently not a priority for my clients. Other pros and developers may have clients wanting upgrades but I can see that market slowly grinding to a halt. All in my own experience.

Location - Surrey, UK