Post by ArtGallery » Fri May 15, 2020 2:41 am

I set up a new site using OC 3.0.3.3 plus I have an existing site that uses 3.0.3.1. While testing the new site I noticed that the site emails were received instantly as long as it was NOT a Gmail account. I initially thought it was an issue with OC 3.0.3.3 on both sites, if a Gmail email was used the welcome emails and the new order emails were delayed at least 30 minutes and sometimes more than an hour. What could possibly be causing this? My first assumption was that Gmail is intentionally causing the delay for some unknown reason, but I was not able to find anything with a web search. My other thought was it might be related to my hosting company. I sent them an inquiry about that possibility but have not heard back yet.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the site sent email receiving delay to customers would be greatly appreciated.

Post by ArtGallery » Fri May 15, 2020 3:14 am

FYI, my most recent test results:
  • Test customer email using a non Gmail account email arrived in about 8 seconds.
    Test customer email using a Gmail based email account took almost 3 hours to arrive.

Post by sw!tch » Sat May 16, 2020 12:50 pm

Check your server IP and see if its on a RBL blacklist. Might be delayed due to that.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Send a PM for Custom Work.
Backup and learn how to recover before you make any changes!

Post by ArtGallery » Sat May 16, 2020 10:22 pm

Thanks. I checked with several online RBL checkers and didn't see a single blacklisting of my site. Apparently this is a pretty common problem with Gmail.
I analyzed the headers on the link below and got this notification

Delay of 2 hours - barb.aspen.relay.mailchannels.net. → [Google] mx.google.com ESMTPS 5/14/2020, 1:11:26 PM MDT

https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/mes ... lyzeheader

Not too sure as to how to resolve this. I am going to send the information to my hosting company.

Post by ADD Creative » Sun May 17, 2020 3:14 am

May be MailChannels delaying the mail. I'm sure I read in one of their FAQ that they will at times.

You would also need to check the reputation of the MailChannels IP addresses and not just yours. I've found that these get blacklisted. Also check your SPF records have all the correct outgoing servers. Check your mails are DKIM signed in the headers. These could all be reasons Gmail might be greylisting.

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by ArtGallery » Sun May 17, 2020 8:44 am

ADD Creative wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:14 am
May be MailChannels delaying the mail. I'm sure I read in one of their FAQ that they will at times.

You would also need to check the reputation of the MailChannels IP addresses and not just yours. I've found that these get blacklisted. Also check your SPF records have all the correct outgoing servers. Check your mails are DKIM signed in the headers. These could all be reasons Gmail might be greylisting.
Thanks for the suggestions. My hosting company has started investigating this and will let me know what they find.