Post by gatt_j » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:19 pm

Hi everybody - hoping that I can find some help
After an intervention performed, which was basically a folder move, database restore (god knows what else ) by my hosting firm certain features within opencart are no longer working. For example, the sending of mail is no longer working, processing of credit cards (which is an extension installation) and so on and so forth. In the case of emails I get this error (sh: 1: /usr/sbin/sendmail: Permission denied) in my CGI Error log. The correct permissions are supposedly set by the hosting company and I still cannot receive emails. In my maintenance/error within opencart I have a ton more similar issues. As this has been going on for a few days I am looking for the possibility of paying someone, at a reasonable price, someone who would be able to sit down with me for a little while to diagnose and solve the issue.

any help appreciated

Post by straightlight » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:28 pm

sh: 1: /usr/sbin/sendmail: Permission denied
Switch to SMTP. See this post on how to proceed: viewtopic.php?f=202&t=216498&p=779948#p779948

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by gatt_j » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:32 pm

tried that as well yesterday and I get this in my error log

Code: Select all

2020-04-05 17:20:52 - PHP Notice:  A non well formed numeric value encountered in /hermes/bosnacweb05/bosnacweb05ay/b556/ipg.pitterpatterkids/testheme/system/library/mail/smtp.php on line 87
Last edited by straightlight on Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added code tags.

Post by straightlight » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:40 pm

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by OSWorX » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:46 pm

Error in this line, indicates that something might not configured properly.
What about your:
1. hostname
2. smtp port
3. smtp timeout

If one is not correct, you will receive such an error.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by gatt_j » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:09 pm

thing is everything was working fine before they got involved .... why would the default mail stop working ? I also have some issues on my theme so I think everything is connected.

I don't know how I can explain properly, but the error msgs always have the following path '/hermes/bosnacweb05/bosnacweb05ay/' which according to my config.php (which matches what I have on my server panel) completely different. As far as I know it should be '/home/users............' My theory is that the hosting crew changed the name or something ... or maybe this is stored in the database ..but I am sure somehow connected to this

I hope i'm making sense. It's been 5 days of nightmares trying to solve this issue so not really working to my optimum

Post by straightlight » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:20 pm

gatt_j wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:09 pm
thing is everything was working fine before they got involved .... why would the default mail stop working ? I also have some issues on my theme so I think everything is connected.

I don't know how I can explain properly, but the error msgs always have the following path '/hermes/bosnacweb05/bosnacweb05ay/' which according to my config.php (which matches what I have on my server panel) completely different. As far as I know it should be '/home/users............' My theory is that the hosting crew changed the name or something ... or maybe this is stored in the database ..but I am sure somehow connected to this

I hope i'm making sense. It's been 5 days of nightmares trying to solve this issue so not really working to my optimum
Then follow the previous post about the SMTP solution. If you're still in the whys and wonders since the moves, it means your Mail form might indeed be improperly configured.

Otherwise, please post your screenshot of your OC System Mail and your cPanel manage email accounts screenshot both without passwords.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by letxobnav » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:55 pm

probably not a correct port number or timeout value (not a number) in your smtp config.

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan
Extensions: MailQueue | SUKHR | VBoces

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by straightlight » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:04 am

OSWorX is actually correct for no. 3 aspect. This error message would be about the timeout value. However, best to see the results from both screenshots.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by gatt_j » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:05 am

Guys... on the email sending issue - it has been resolved. So thank you in leading me in the right direction. The hosting provider directed me to create a webmail account .... etc etc and I utilised their settings. What's still confuses me is this... I never had a registered email account with them and always just used the MAIL (rather then SMTP) and in the email address settings of my store used my Gmail account. This was working perfectly fine to about 5 days ago. Would you know what could've been the trigger

I do appreciate all the effort

Post by straightlight » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:21 am

If you wish to remain on Mail protocol rather than SMTP, contact your host to resolved this issue with them.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by OSWorX » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:42 am

Short & in General:

1. never use the internal php-mail function
Reason: if you are unlucky, you will find you very quickly on a "Badlist" - a removal from them can lead to several weeks of endles work!
Beside this, php-mail has no security layers.

2. whenever you can, use SMTP
Reason: if the server (the one your shop is hosted) is correct configured (what I assume when I pay for that !!!), things like SPIF, SKIM, Sender Policy, SPAM-Filter, Virsuscanner and a few other things (which all should be available !), are used.
This give you a second, third (and so on) layer of security.

3. avoid to use service like GMail (and so on)
Reason: while they maybe free of charge, you pay with your data.
Data you are NOT the ower, it is the data of your users and customers!
And beside of rules and regulations like the GDPR and other privacy, whenever you use such a service - this could be seen as a "Breach"!
And I am sure, if your customers would know that you are using GMail (e.g.) as your email service provider, they would never buy in your shop!

p.s.: if the shop is located inside the European Community, the GDPR says clearly that you have to use at least a maximum of security.
Like SSL and (when possible) encrypted protocols/channels.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by straightlight » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:49 am

Since GDPR regulations are involved in the process of using SMTP rather than Mail protocol; the post above has now been added in the FAQ.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by OSWorX » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:52 am

straightlight wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:49 am
Since GDPR regulations are involved in the process of using SMTP rather than Mail protocol; the post above has now been added in the FAQ.
Thanks.
Cannot be said often enough.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by gatt_j » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:53 am

straightlight wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:21 am
If you wish to remain on Mail protocol rather than SMTP, contact your host to resolved this issue with them.
will definitely be leaving under SMTP ... Thank you for your guidance

Post by gatt_j » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:56 am

OSWorX wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:42 am
Short & in General:

1. never use the internal php-mail function
Reason: if you are unlucky, you will find you very quickly on a "Badlist" - a removal from them can lead to several weeks of endles work!
Beside this, php-mail has no security layers.

2. whenever you can, use SMTP
Reason: if the server (the one your shop is hosted) is correct configured (what I assume when I pay for that !!!), things like SPIF, SKIM, Sender Policy, SPAM-Filter, Virsuscanner and a few other things (which all should be available !), are used.
This give you a second, third (and so on) layer of security.

3. avoid to use service like GMail (and so on)
Reason: while they maybe free of charge, you pay with your data.
Data you are NOT the ower, it is the data of your users and customers!
And beside of rules and regulations like the GDPR and other privacy, whenever you use such a service - this could be seen as a "Breach"!
And I am sure, if your customers would know that you are using GMail (e.g.) as your email service provider, they would never buy in your shop!

p.s.: if the shop is located inside the European Community, the GDPR says clearly that you have to use at least a maximum of security.
Like SSL and (when possible) encrypted protocols/channels.
Thank you for that detailed explanation and will definitely keep. Every cloud has a silver lining and I am considering this previous problem a cloud that had now been lined with Gold . Thank you - and thanks to everyone who contributed

Post by gatt_j » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:35 am

Could I use this same thread to address another issue I have...
In my OC error log I receive this error

2020-04-06 16:21:04 - PHP Warning:  unlink(/home/users/web/b556/ipg.pitterpatterkids/testheme/system/storage/cache/cache.catalog.language.1586193664): No such file or directory in /hermes/bosnacweb05/bosnacweb05ay/b556/ipg.pitterpatterkids/testheme/system/library/cache/file.php on line 68
I don't have a clue what this could mean
Last edited by straightlight on Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added code tags.

Post by straightlight » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:43 am

gatt_j wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:35 am
Could I use this same thread to address another issue I have...
In my OC error log I receive this error

2020-04-06 16:21:04 - PHP Warning:  unlink(/home/users/web/b556/ipg.pitterpatterkids/testheme/system/storage/cache/cache.catalog.language.1586193664): No such file or directory in /hermes/bosnacweb05/bosnacweb05ay/b556/ipg.pitterpatterkids/testheme/system/library/cache/file.php on line 68
I don't have a clue what this could mean
No. A new topic needs to be addressed individually unless the reflected errors reported are relative to the main subjects. The error message you have is also covered in the FAQ: viewtopic.php?f=134&t=215776#p750077

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON