Post by Jaesin » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:00 am

Anyone know of a modifcation that will allow word synonyms to be used in search?
Thanks

New member

Posts

Joined
Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:31 pm

Post by by mona » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:15 am


DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.


Spinning Social : Links : Menus : Payments : Socials : Ads : Screen Backgrounds : Galleries : Headers : Banners : Promos


Active Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:31 am

Post by thekrotek » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:43 am

What exactly do you mean by that? If I understood you right, you can use tags to search for particular products using similar keywords. No extension is necessary to achieve this.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:24 am


Post by Jaesin » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:46 am

Thankl you... You could use tags as alternative names for keywords, however if you are trying to correct spelling errors or punctuation erros.... this can look really messy and difficult to maintain in the long run.
Ideally its simply a when they say "this" they mean "that".

New member

Posts

Joined
Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:31 pm

Post by Jaesin » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:47 am

Thank you.... This one was on my list, seeing what other options are out there....


New member

Posts

Joined
Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:31 pm

Post by thekrotek » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:21 am

Jaesin wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:46 am
Thankl you... You could use tags as alternative names for keywords, however if you are trying to correct spelling errors or punctuation erros.... this can look really messy and difficult to maintain in the long run.
Ideally its simply a when they say "this" they mean "that".
List all your synonyms in the description and search against it.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:24 am


Post by straightlight » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:28 am

Listing your synonyms into the description manually may only result on what store owners may know about. However, by using an extension, or a service provider, it may rather result ending up with synonyms that store owners may not know about as to provide better chances to customers to find what they need from the store.

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming. The increased post counters are caused by redundancies of the same solutions that were already provided prior.


Regards,
Straightlight
Opencart.com Administrator / Quality Assurance Analyst / Programmer


Legendary Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:38 pm
Location - Canada, ON

Post by Jaesin » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:53 am

I could not have said it better.....kudos.

New member

Posts

Joined
Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:31 pm

Post by thekrotek » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:07 am

straightlight wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:28 am
Listing your synonyms into the description manually may only result on what store owners may know about. However, by using an extension, or a service provider, it may rather result ending up with synonyms that store owners may not know about as to provide better chances to customers to find what they need from the store.
If you're building some kind of a dictionary, listing synonyms in description is a pretty good solution. The only downside is that you have to enter them manually.

Probably the best way is to get yourself a custom extension to assign the synonyms similar to Related Products option.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:24 am


Post by straightlight » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:17 am

thekrotek wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:07 am
straightlight wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:28 am
Listing your synonyms into the description manually may only result on what store owners may know about. However, by using an extension, or a service provider, it may rather result ending up with synonyms that store owners may not know about as to provide better chances to customers to find what they need from the store.
If you're building some kind of a dictionary, listing synonyms in description is a pretty good solution. The only downside is that you have to enter them manually.

Probably the best way is to get yourself a custom extension to assign the synonyms similar to Related Products option.
There are service providers allowing to filter keywords randomly so that store owners can collect those keywords automatically based on the related categories they'd assign to expand their search.

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming. The increased post counters are caused by redundancies of the same solutions that were already provided prior.


Regards,
Straightlight
Opencart.com Administrator / Quality Assurance Analyst / Programmer


Legendary Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:38 pm
Location - Canada, ON

Post by Jaesin » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:00 am

thekrotek wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:07 am
If you're building some kind of a dictionary, listing synonyms in description is a pretty good solution. The only downside is that you have to enter them manually.
That solution would certainly give away any hard work you have done collecting slang terms, alternative names and mispellings to your competitors advantage.
Additioanlly, from a search engine perspective this could look like keyword spamming and offset the quality/value of your content to the end user.

New member

Posts

Joined
Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:31 pm

Post by straightlight » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:26 am

Jaesin wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:00 am
thekrotek wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:07 am
If you're building some kind of a dictionary, listing synonyms in description is a pretty good solution. The only downside is that you have to enter them manually.
That solution would certainly give away any hard work you have done collecting slang terms, alternative names and mispellings to your competitors advantage.
Additioanlly, from a search engine perspective this could look like keyword spamming and offset the quality/value of your content to the end user.
True that. It's been covered before on the forum that using word filtering can create catastrophic results in the end.

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming. The increased post counters are caused by redundancies of the same solutions that were already provided prior.


Regards,
Straightlight
Opencart.com Administrator / Quality Assurance Analyst / Programmer


Legendary Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:38 pm
Location - Canada, ON
Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests