Post by ts2323 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:21 pm

V.3.0.2.0
Ok so I am fuming right now..

When editing a module (a large, complicated one with code for 9 languages), it seems that if you wait too long time (my guess is some token expires in the mean time), and then you press 'save' then it WIPES the WHOLE module.
I was editing this module a few hours ago and saved it leaving the edit-module page open in the browser, then after a few hours I came back to it and made another edit and clicked save.. boom everything in the module gone.
Thanks opencart!

Seriously this kind of thing should never happen! clicking 'save' on anything should never ever be able to result in something getting deleted.
Now I have to spend a few hours re-creating it. :( :( :(

TS

Post by letxobnav » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:30 pm

editing a module
with what exactly?

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan
Extensions: MailQueue | SUKHR | VBoces

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by ts2323 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:02 pm

It just did it again.

This time I was editing the module, clicking 'save and stay', then making another edit, clicking 'save and stay' and so on for maybe an hour, there was only a few minutes now from the last edit and it just wiped the module again.

Just realised this is not really part of OpenCart but actually the 'Basel Content Builder' which came with the 'Basel' Theme.
Sorry about that.
The thing is though, that the fact that a theme can screw up things this badly seems to me that the way themes are integrated into the whole thing is not controlled enough, and this themes bugs (and others) will reflect badly on OpenCart itself.

TS

Post by letxobnav » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:16 pm

so you put an crappy spoiler on a Porsche and then blame Porsche for the bad handling.

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by ts2323 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:54 pm

Acutally having experimented now. It turns out that once I enter data (there is quite a bit of HTML to enter) for 5 languages (I have 9 total) then this is where it wipes the module.

So I'm now thinking that it is probably storing the module data in the database and there is some limitation on max number of characters.

Any idea how to overcome this kind of limitation? Like which tables to start looking at?
Also any idea if such a limitation is due to OpenCart or due to the Theme?

PS: I didn't ad a crappy spoiler, I added a well known new body to the chassis. This new body causes the shiny nice Porsche engine to fail for some reason... :crazy:

TS

Post by letxobnav » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:11 pm

PS: I didn't ad a crappy spoiler, I added a well known new body to the chassis. This new body causes the shiny nice Porsche engine to fail for some reason...
Nope, seems I am also better at analogies as I am better in knowing not to edit valuable information directly into an online system which is governed by expiring sessions and other limitations.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by ts2323 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:39 pm

Nope, seems I am also better at analogies as I am better in knowing not to edit valuable information directly into an online system which is governed by expiring sessions and other limitations.
?? I have to edit the information in order to create the module. It is a new module not live on the site yet. The only way to build this module is to use the built-in (with the theme) editor.

Besides, I no longer think this is due to expiring sessions, but rather a hard limit on the size of the row in the DB where this module is stored.

Question: Shouldn't it be OpenCart that would warn when reaching such a limit? after all, it is the OpenCart DB. If the theme 'module builder'-module can access DB directly then this is IMO a design flaw, if it accesses the DB via a OpenCart API then the API is flawed in that it doesn't warn and/or allows to effectively delete the module.

TS

Post by letxobnav » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:18 am

Now I have to spend a few hours re-creating it
If you would have created the info on your local editor and copied it over when done, you would not be in that situation now would you?

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan