Post by marco122 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:13 pm

Hi,

I currently have two open cart stores, one is 1.5.6 and the other 2.1.0.2

Pretty happy with the design of both of them. Maybe the website with the OC 2.1 looks a bit more sharper and modern, but that could be a design thing.

In order to keep it a bit simple with staff training, extensions uploads, etc.. , I was considering upgrading the 1.5.6 to the newer 2.1 version.

I was also told by our SEO guy that Google might be more favorable to the upgraded version but this is not the main reason I would like to upgrade.

I believe I read somewhere that some themes are not up-gradable (or something like that). How can I find out if our site is actually suitable to be upgraded?

I certainly would not undertake the task myself but I would have at least an understanding how much time is involved (if it can be done) before I part with my money and get charged a fortune by someone.

Lastly, is is actually really worthwhile? Would our site look different and does it require redesigning, or is it just on the back-end noticeable?

If someone who has more expertise and experience in this matter would be so kind and provide some feedback, that would be much appreciated.

many thanks

Marco

Location - Australia

Post by OSWorX » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:08 pm

If you really want to update, use 2.3.0.2 - at least the best version until 3.1.x will be published.
And in your special case the minimum needed addtional work to migrate (database & template at 2.x).

For the 1.5.x version you will have a lot of work in front of you, because wether database nor template is 1% compatible.
But at least, having both on the same level (2.3.0.2) would help in decreasing the working load (same layouts, same menus, etc.).

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by marco122 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:11 am

Thanks for your reply OSWorX,

So it looks like it it a costly experience as it will take a while.

Are there are any other benefits (substantial) in upgrading besides "ease of use in the admin area"?
Is there any truth being the info I received that the 2.1 versions (and higher) might be treated more favorable by Google?

Also, future proving the site, would the 1.5.6 version maybe outdated in say, 10 years or so.

If that's the case I might just bite the bullet and get things done now.

cheers

Marco

Location - Australia

Post by OSWorX » Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:41 am

marco122 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:11 am

Are there are any other benefits (substantial) in upgrading besides "ease of use in the admin area"?
Is there any truth being the info I received that the 2.1 versions (and higher) might be treated more favorable by Google?
At least you will profit of all those and many extension you can have for 2.3.x - many are well proven and soem are highly recommended.
Better than it was with 1.5.x (some here my say something else and oposite, but that is the truth).
And yes, better for search engines.
marco122 wrote:
Also, future proving the site, would the 1.5.6 version maybe outdated in say, 10 years or so.
When it comes to something like that, what you publish today, will be old tomorrow ;)
To be honest, 1.5.x has no future - the more as you already have a direct comparison between 1.5. and 2.1 (2.3.x will have again some better as it was with 2.1.x).

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by IP_CAM » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:10 am

To be honest, 1.5.x has no future
Well, it does not need one, it already works! :laugh:

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by xxvirusxx » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:01 pm

marco122 wrote:
Depends how many customization you have: custom design, custom extensions, custom modules etc...
If you don't have many customization an upgrade from 1.5.6 to 2.3.0.2 will take 1-2 hours with settings.

Upgrade Service | OC 2.3.0.2 PHP 8 | My Custom OC 3.0.3.8 | Buy me a beer

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by agatha65 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:04 pm

Yes, it is not easy as well.
First the project has to be analyzed:
+1 for version 2.3.0.2 - stable and debugged
theme, modules, new functionalities
the most important thing when upgrading - onpage seo and content fixes
Don't forget that every change will be reevaluated by Google.
For example - In the old sites there are usually seo modules added that change the canonical urls(site/cat1/cat2/product instead of site/product), and more other on page SEO elements. You have to check all and decide how to transfer them to the new site.
The goal is to keep everything good and to fix all seo errors.
Also when upgrading it is recommended to clean up the product description html

Most of my projects are like this and according to my experience it take at least one month hard work(together with the site owner) to do it.

Suppliers Module - XML, CSV, XLS Product Feed Import and Update
Rich Snippets | Facebook Open Graph Meta Tags | WebP Images

Location - Canada, QC

Post by OSWorX » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:29 pm

agatha65 wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:04 pm
Most of my projects are like this and according to my experience it take at least one month hard work(together with the site owner) to do it.
Yes, how true!
And count that month in hours (~160), multiple that hours with the amount per hour (??) .. and you will know how much such things may cost.
Or do it on a project base which may cheaper - or not ..

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by labeshops » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:26 pm

marco122 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:13 pm
Hi,

I currently have two open cart stores, one is 1.5.6 and the other 2.1.0.2

Lastly, is is actually really worthwhile? Would our site look different and does it require redesigning, or is it just on the back-end noticeable?

If someone who has more expertise and experience in this matter would be so kind and provide some feedback, that would be much appreciated.
Hi Marco

I started with 1.5, upgraded to 2.2 and now am working on v3 so can maybe give you some notes from the perspective of a store owner rather than developer which is who tend to frequent these forums more.

First - should you upgrade? Yes. To me it is worth keeping the code up to date for several reasons:

1. Security. Each new version takes current tech and security into account. As 1.5 is no longer being developed and fewer mods are available, the code is not as secure as it could be and you risk the chance of being hacked. I had this happen with the previous cart software I had that I didn't update and it totally destroyed my store forcing me to upgrade and throwing my stores offline for weeks as I did it. Not pretty and upgrading on my terms would have been much easier.

2. Mods and new, more up to date features (such as mobile-first design which google wants & ranks you higher for) are not being done for v1.5 so you miss out on the tech that might get you better rankings and a better customer experience. You could hire a developer to custom-add things you need into v1.5 but it's sort of like throwing a band-aid on it rather than fixing it.

3. User Experience. Google rewards you with better ranking for things that work and as your code ages, some things are depreciated. When google detects old code, they drop your rankings. Plus as browsers are updated frequently, your site that might work/look fine now, may not at any time without warning, especially on mobile devices which people use more and more to shop from. 1.5 was not responsive and I had to use clunky work-arounds to create a mobile version when mobile became more prevalent and I had several customers complain of issues trying to shop from their phone. If 1 person contacts you about an issue, you may have lost 50 other customers that didn't bother to and just bought elsewhere.

So that being said, I will warn you it is NOT easy and at least a few hours downtime will probably happen. I hired someone to upgrade me from 1.5 to 2.2 several years ago and a straight upgrade with no/few mods is not so bad though I tend to modify my stores quite a bit (originally in a not so smart way directly in the code before I understood vqmod and now ocmod). Depending on how complicated your store is, expect some hiccups. There are those here in the forums and on marketplace that offer upgrade service, so let them take a look at your set up and give you a quote.

I do not know what your level of experience is with basic php/html/twig, but in my case for v3, I am working on setting everything up (design, adding mods I need and testing) in a subdomain while my v2.2 stores continue to run perfectly. I hired a developer though to transfer my database when I am ready and double check/fix any errors before I will make it live and replace my v2.2 stores. I have done database migrations in the former software and it is a pain in the butt, though I know several things that will make it easier and am doing those myself in preparation (matching my store and other ids for example).

As you have 2 different stores in different versions, what I would do is contact someone about upgrading them to a multistore setup in v3 instead of just upgrading the v1.5 store. That would make it easier for you to upgrade in the future and easier to manage both stores from the same interface. Multistores was why I chose opencart when my previous software was hacked and am so glad I did - running my 21 stores from 1 admin is amazingly easy.

Ultimately, it's up to you but hope this helps :)

Lori

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by IP_CAM » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:27 am

labeshops wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:26 pm
First - should you upgrade? Yes. To me it is worth keeping the code up to date for several reasons:
1. ... As 1.5 is no longer being developed and fewer mods are available, the code is not as secure as it could be and you risk the chance of being hacked.
2. ... such as mobile-first design which google wants & ranks you higher for are not being done for v1.5 ...
... 1.5 was not responsive and I had to use clunky work-arounds to create a mobile version when mobile became more prevalent ...
Well, You seem to have been away for quite some time, according to some of your statements. 8)

1. My OC v.1.5.x is still beeing updated, one just has to know, where to look for, and check, if the Code
matches the Version used. Even in later Oc Versions, Controller/Model/System Code is in many cases
not or not much different from the one, used in latest 1.5.6.x Versions too ... ::)
It pays out, to keep informed, for every responsible OpenCart Shop User. I just got 3 Fixes by Mail today:
https://github.com/ocshop/ocshop/pull/251
https://github.com/ocshop/ocshop/pull/252
https://github.com/ocshop/ocshop/pull/253
Most are not specifically for OC v.1.5.x, but later Versions, but I just compare Content, and try out,
what matches my Version Code.

And on Security-related Sites, it's all about OC2 and OC3, my Version 1.5.6.5_rc was never listed a Security
Report so far, and v.1.5.6.4 only had one miss, even disclaimed by Daniel, that it would be dangerous.
And to make my Version ready for PHP-7.1+, the exactly same encryption.php file(s), as published around
here somewhere, and exactly the same 'Pagebreak' (INT) Function Mod Change was required, as for most
all 'later' OC Versions too, to make it all work as planned. And my Test Sites get frequently bombarded,
my .htaccess file already contains 340+ partly locked out IP Ranges, like:
Deny from 212.
Deny from 213.32.
Deny from 213.136.88.
Deny from 186.249.214.109
to keep those out, trying to give me a hard time, but never would buy something anyway. But not one
of those attacks ever killed the Place, or left some Garbage on the Server. And it's not only OC Code, it's the
Server too, what makes a Software work secure, and such usually does not come for ~50 Bucks a Year.

2-3. And when it comes to Mobile First Designs, some exist since 2012. Real 'Bootstrap' custom Themes
have long made it into 1.5 Versions, like Journal, Pavo and other Brands, but their complexity is known,
and so, they cannot be compared with a simple OC 2.+ Bootstrap3 Layout. And by use of OC-2 Themes for
OC 1.5.6.x, like done in PEKU's fine Donation, one would not even be able, to find out, what Version it is,
by just looking at the Browser Source. And It's not just a WORK AROUND, but a full implementation, by
replacing the Default Theme Code in Full. And my Friend Googie never complained to me about, I don't
even need to advertise them in any way, to be indexed i most favourable places.
Sample Site with a bunch of default OC-2 Themes in a 1.5.6.5: http://www.openshop.li/shop/
(just sitting there, unattended for some time already, not all themes might work in full ...)

And such a Site is even faster than a real OC2+, mainly also due to unneeded additional OC default
'Functions', like that good for nothing OcMod. At least, if used in Combination with VqMod, as most
all of you already know ... ;) ... not to mention the problems, caused by that unfortunate decision until today ...

But I have to admit, that it takes a little work, once in a while, to keep a Version alive and well. Like in any
real Business, one cannot just relax, after installing a Shop Software, the real work then only starts.
Still, compared with later OC Editions, my 'old' OC Source has already widely been proven to function.
By use of latest Code, People first have to fix existing Misses, those at least, already known. Or then
download an already modified 'private' Edition, to get rid of some built-in Bugs. But another ~227 open
Issues and ~266 Pull Requests are still in the Pipeline on Github, to possibly one day be part of another
'near-final' Edition. Whatever OC Download one therefore decides on, there will be work, waiting, to be
done, regardless of the Version chosen. The only real Difference is 'Knowledge', mostly not yet existing
(for free :P ) for latest Versions, and a bunch of obviously 'unsolved' yet matters, probably still taking a
good while, to even be checked on.

So, please be reasonable, in a tech place like this, plain assumptions and guesses are of no real help to
anyone. Only Figures and Facts, as they exist. If one really cares to find out about. Or then, better prove
Claims, not only based on a single and isolated Incident, but provable Examples, as they exist.

Sorry, no offense, and nothing personal, but I heat up easy, when it comes to that specific Matter,
and all the claims, related with. I know, that my Code will not work forever. But as soon as another last
OC Version arrives, they all will come again, to repeat themselfs, for ever and a day. And many will be
sorry again, not to have been waiting long enough, only, to belong to the Prime Testers again. :D

Ernie
Sorry, to be forced, to come back once more on this ... ::)

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by labeshops » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:02 pm

We rarely agree on things Ernie and yes, when you are a coder, you can keep an older version alive and up to date. But for the average person that is a store owner and not a coder, this is much harder so I stick to my original reply. Ultimately, it is up to the op to decide what he wants to do.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by xxvirusxx » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:32 pm

Now 3.x version isn't worth it.
Many many bugs...

Upgrade Service | OC 2.3.0.2 PHP 8 | My Custom OC 3.0.3.8 | Buy me a beer

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by labeshops » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:35 pm

xxvirusxx wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:32 pm
Now 3.x version isn't worth it.
Many many bugs...
Other than some weird caching issues having to refresh things a lot, I'm not seeing any issues with 3.0.3.2 I'm developing right now.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA