Post by megalca » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:15 am

Hi guys and gals!
I am a complete newbie. I was using woocommerce and giving opencart a chance for a new site.
So far the experience has been good but to be honest I am very confused with the ocmod and/or vqmod situation.
I have read many different things and seems to be a lot of confusion.
- Would be great if you can clarify my understanding.
1. Both systems are used to create a cache of changes rather than changing OC core files yes?
2. Some extensions are coded to work with ocmod and others with vqmod yes?
3. Can ocmod and vqmod be installed in the same OC store without creating conflicts when cache is cleared?
Any other info would be very helpful
thanks

Post by OSWorX » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:41 pm

Congratulation to continue with a real Ecommerce solution.

Regarding the OCMod <> VQMod question:

1. OCMod is the built-in solution (idea was VQMod and is built from, has a few less options)
2. VQMod is an extension which has to be installed additionally

Using both should work normally, but could lead to problems (search the forum here).
In general, if an extension is offered as OCMod solution, use that.
The more if you use OpenCart 3.x

If an extension is offered only as VQMod, that can have several reasons:
A. developer does not know how to build a OCMod based extension
B. developer is lazy and offer his extensions which was originally built for older OpenCart version now also for 2.x or 3.x
C. (very, very rare !): the extension is really complex and cannot be build as OCMod

Basically try to keep your system as clean as possible, which mean: do not use VQMod if you are using OpenCart 3.x

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by megalca » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:07 pm

thanks a lot for taking the time to explain in detail
Really appreciate it!

Post by JNeuhoff » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:31 pm

You could use the Integrated VQmod extension. This is basically a modified OCmod, to also allow for the VQmod XML syntax. They both use the same cache.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by tolinho » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:50 am

Hi,
So I decided to update my store 1.564 to version 3.x (I'm in the process of updating)

Now I've been reading and reading and it seems to me (vqmod/ocmod) are basicly the same. ocmod may have less options.

Anyway, I found these two extensions:
https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... n_id=19501
https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... n_id=22015

Again, can't see the TRUE difference betwin the two. Both seem to do the same, and both support vQmod and OCmod.
Should I use one over the other?

Can someone please provide additional feedback?

Thanks.

Post by JNeuhoff » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:00 am

I recommend the Integrated VQMod because it supports both the VQmod and OCmod XML syntaxes, though it won't work with the OCMod Editor.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by feniciacosmetica » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:37 am

Hello Guys,

My custom theme is modifing default SELECT tags, I have to disable this feature only in checkout zone. Could you please helpe me?

This is affecting my checkout plugin fields (COUNTRY and ZONE).

Please see the picture

Attachments

selecttags.PNG

selecttags.PNG (87.28 KiB) Viewed 3153 times

Post by tolinho » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:25 am

JNeuhoff wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:00 am
I recommend the Integrated VQMod because it supports both the VQmod and OCmod XML syntaxes, though it won't work with the OCMod Editor.
Hello.
Thank you for the quick reply.
Will your extension work with https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... arch=vqmod

Post by JNeuhoff » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:03 am

tolinho wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:25 am
Will your extension work with https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... arch=vqmod
No, it won't. Our Integrated VQMod is more like a modified OCmod, it uses the same cache as OCmod, it doesn't use 'vqmod/vqmod.php' nor 'vqmod/vqcache'. It would be easy enough to adjust the VQMod Manager to be based on the Integrated VQmod instead of (or in addition to) Qphoria's VQmod.

I always find it easier just to use the professional programmer's text editor for editing and then upload XML files.

Guru Member

Post by OSWorX » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:33 am

JNeuhoff wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:03 am
I always find it easier just to use the professional programmer's text editor for editing and then upload XML files.
Because you're a Professional ;D

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by tolinho » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:57 pm

I decided I will install both on separate systems and compare both.
I hope it will help me decide for one!
Thank you for taking your time to reply.

Post by yodapt » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:19 am

OCMod came after VQMod. As developer I install OCMod extensions when available, and if I need to alter those extensions functionality I use VQMod for that, keeping the original extension files intact and avoiding loosing those changes if the original extension gets upgraded. I also always install VQmod in any project even if I end up not needing it. Technically speaking VQMod extensions will superseed OCMod ones.

Opencart Developer - My Extension Showcase
Contact me at aeon.yoda@gmail.com

Post by grgr » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:46 pm

I don't know about the "Integrated VQMod" mentioned above, but some of these types of extensions have casued me quite a lot of trouble and I've had to remove the extension in some cases to get mine and other extensions to work.

vQmod on its own in OC 3 is a problem [can be] with with the cache file growing too big if the storage directory is outside of the root (unless that has been fixed).

For OC1.5x and 2.x I do use vQmod as it is quick and easy and works well.

For OC 3.x I now use a combination of new files, OCMOD and Events.

Though I'm sure I'll be derided by some for using Events (use thereof does not seem too popular), I'm finding them quite useful as you can insert and manipulate data without having to make any OCMOD changes to opencart core files or functions.

-
Image Image Image Image
VIEW ALL EXTENSIONS * EXTENSION SUPPORT * WEBSITE * CUSTOM REQUESTS

Location - UK