Post by aerogel » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:20 pm

hi
im using OC 3.0.2.0 and im trying to change the "no_image" or "default product image" by replacing the original PNG files in root/image/no_image.png
and root/image/placeholder.png. after deleting cached images in root/image/cache (like no_image40x40) and when i change the original PNG files, OC generates new resized versions in root/image/cache but the browser shows old images again. ctrl+f5 is not uselful either. the same result after ctrl+f5. i better add the new images are exactly the same size as originals.
should i clear some cache somewhere?

Post by letxobnav » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:14 am

ctrl+f5 does not do that, clear the browser data.

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan
Extensions: MailQueue | SUKHR | VBoces

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by aerogel » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:29 am

cleared browsing data,
,unfortunately the same result again. still showing original OC default product image.
when there is no "no_image.png" in root/image, OC shows missing image icon. after bringing back the PNG file it shows old thumbnails again,
even the new generated thumbs are different!!!

Post by by mona » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:28 am

Have you cleared your page cache?
Dashboard => top right => cog ?

I just did this by uploading exactly where you placed yours : placeholder.png to => *siteroot*/image/placeholder.png

Attachments

Screen-Shot-2019-08-07.png

Screen-Shot-2019-08-07.png (52.06 KiB) Viewed 2861 times

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by aerogel » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:59 am

did as you said,
but no luck again. i dont get it why it generates new thumbs but uses the old one?! where are the old thumbs that it still uses?

Post by by mona » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:13 am

because it is caching somewhere ..
If you have cleared your caching from the dashboard
then you might be on a server that is caching
and you might be that you have cleared your page and not cleared your browser
it could be set in your htaccess ..
but it is caching .. so leave the image you want exactly where it is supposed to be and try to clear your dashboard and your browser - check your server - and I am sure that letxobnav will help you with your headers if that is the issue - he is much better than me with that .. I am in ore and I spent YEARS trying to fix that to perfection !!!
But re-check everything else first ..

Have you got a module installed to speed up your website maybe?

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

Expert Member

Post by aerogel » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:43 am

update 1
i replaced the palceholder.png and left it in root/image for few hours and then something happened!
now when i check the store on my android phone with UC browser the new default image is in place! but no luck in other situations.
as u said its caching somewhere i dont know.

update 2
i checked the error list in admin panel. there are about 20 lines of these:
2019-08-08 5:10:07 - PHP Warning: unlink(/home2/mystore/storage/cache/cache.catalog.language.1565228400): No such file or directory in /home2/mystore/public_html/system/library/cache/file.php on line 68

does this problem has anything to do with the fact that im using OC with another language?
Last edited by aerogel on Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by by mona » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:49 am

that now sounds like your browser ..
post your web address & a screen shot of the image it should be and we can check ..

DISCLAIMER:

Expert Member

Post by letxobnav » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:03 pm

Those images are still cached in your browser, the mere fact that using a different browser works already proves that as it's cache was still empty.
So I think you are not clearing your stored images and files when clearing your browser correctly.

Sending different cache control headers does not help much as you do want the browser to cache images.

You could always force the issue by adding a parameter to the image filename to basically fool the cache that the filename has changed when it really hasn't.
like image.jpg would become image.jpg?v1.5 (anything behind the ? will do actually).
That is basically how you can force a cache update for javascript and css files to a new version without having to change the actual filenames.
Only drawback is that some proxies refuse to cache anything with a parameter but browsers are fine with it.
update 2
i checked the error list in admin panel. there are about 20 lines of these:
2019-08-08 5:10:07 - PHP Warning: unlink(/home2/mystore/storage/cache/cache.catalog.language.1565228400): No such file or directory in /home2/mystore/public_html/system/library/cache/file.php on line 68

does this problem has anything to do with the fact that im using OC with another language?
the first problem is a bug in OC.

in catalog/model/localization/language.php

Code: Select all

$language_data = $this->cache->get('language');
should be

Code: Select all

$language_data = $this->cache->get('catalog.language');
it basically sets the server language cache but was trying to read and/or delete another one (which does not exist).

And no, using a different language has nothing to do with all of this.

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by aerogel » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:54 pm

for the goal of testing your idea that the source of my problem is my browser:
i used a fresh installed virtual machine hosting a windows 7(i swear!). then i cleared OC cache form dashboard and also VQ cache. deleted all thumbs from root/image/cache. then i visited my store.
again
showing old thumbs out of nowhere!
when i check my cache from Cpanel and file manager, the new generated thumbs are NEW and CORRECT but when i visit this address
http://myWEIRDstore.confused/image/cach ... 28x228.png
my newly installed OS shows old thumbs!
scratching my head like what.
im using a SEO plugin. any clue? maybe it has a cache that i dont know.

Post by by mona » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:28 pm

May I please explain the frustration of not actually doing what is asked, but kind of doing it in a different way. If you do not wish to post your store, you can send this in a private message.

DISCLAIMER:

Expert Member

Post by letxobnav » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:35 pm

well, change the placeholder filename and see what happens.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by aerogel » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:46 pm

changing the placeholder.png to "placeholder_2.png"
result:
shows no image "at all" for the products that are "photo-less"(!!!).
just the product title. and some text.
renaming to placeholder.png:
shows old thumbs again!

Post by letxobnav » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:17 am

yeah, you have to change the original image filename and the reference in the controller.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by aerogel » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:34 pm

after switching the whole site to SSL, now new default product image is on pages.
i admit there is no direct correlation!
maybe time passing or something else solved the issue temporarily!
thanks anyway