Post by belindaj » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:11 am

I thought I was on a roll and things were finally clicking as I tried setting up my first set of products - all in the same category. 6 of them are showing - but there are 9 products currently setup. I have tried putting then other 3 in a different category, doesn't matter - they still don't show up.

https://gtgshops.com/ocart/index.php?ro ... path=59_60
Last edited by belindaj on Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

New and Treading Water Feverishly ;D
Current Cart-in-progress: https://gtgshops.com 3.0.3.2 installation, no core files modified

Post by OSWorX » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:10 pm

Under the given link, I see 9 of 9.
So where is the problem?

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by belindaj » Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:43 pm

How strange. I literally opened it in 3 different browsers in case it was a caching/refresh issue and all 3 only showed the first 6 items. Now I do see them all as well.

Thank you...

Current Cart-in-progress: https://gtgshops.com 3.0.3.2 installation, no core files modified

Post by OSWorX » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:20 pm

Guess it is a 'cache issue', but that could be because a proxy, the server, some cache software between and so on ..

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by belindaj » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:02 am

It's doing it again - this time under a fresh new installation. It's literally been HOURS since I created all 9 products again - and still only 1 is showing up in the Cheer category on the browser side. Anybody else see 9 products under Grain Valley Cheer or just 1?

There's got to be a better way around these apparent caching issues?

Post by OSWorX » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:13 pm

Well, I see al 9 (of 9).

Which browser you are using?
And tried already with different browsers?
And have any Virusscanner and/or Firewall and/or Browseraddons installed?

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by cyclops12 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:32 pm

All 9 are showing using chrome and firefox

Expert Member

Post by belindaj » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:49 pm

I gave up and went to bed - and am back up again at 3:30 in the morning (hey, whatever works, right?) and am relieved to now see all 9 products myself.

Before crashing for the night (and giving up) I had opened it on Firefox, Chrome AND Edge. All 3 were only showing 1 product (and Edge I literally had never even used before)

I do see it is quite obviously a caching issue - but at what level - and are there any suggestions for overcoming it? I suspect it is also what has been causing issues with extensions that I've had the devil of a time getting installed and working. If I'm having the issue I'm sure I'm not the only one, and I'll try to help write meaningful documentation if we can find something that works. I'm currently up to about 5 legal pad pages of notes this week trying to get this cart launched. I REALLY want to like and use this cart on this client as well as several others - so I'm hoping I can contribute meaningful dialogue back to the community.

Oh - and no firewall, virus scanner or browser add-ons. I do run McAfee on my desktop (email) but that has never precluded anything while web browsing - I do not have any special monitoring setup or enabled.

Post by OSWorX » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:34 pm

Just for curiosity: have you tried the shop with OpenCart 2.3.0.2?
Make a 2nd installation (e.g. in a subfolder) and see if this issue is also there.

Of course, no modifications, no extension, no .htaccess - just a plain installation.

Because I never have seen such before in the last 12 years.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by belindaj » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:53 pm

OSWorX wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:34 pm
Make a 2nd installation (e.g. in a subfolder) and see if this issue is also there.

Of course, no modifications, no extension, no .htaccess - just a plain installation.
I have not - I only discovered Open Cart 5 days ago. The thought of installing a second version makes me cringe (makes a couple other people cringe probably too - those who I've already been blessed to pick their brains for help!)

But, maybe I'll get brave. (Yes straightlight - it'll go in a completely separate subdirectory if I do it!!! Oh dear, that'll mean another storage folder creation...and that went *so well* the first time. On a more positive note - I've made 3 different backups since we last talked - after every. single. extension. installation. Not going down THAT path again.)

Post by letxobnav » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:09 pm

I don't think it is a cache issue at least not a browser-cache issue as you would see more symptoms with that and I also see 9 constantly but you could try in catalog/system/framework.php

change this:

Code: Select all

// Response
$response = new Response();
$response->addHeader('Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8');
$response->setCompression($config->get('config_compression'));
$registry->set('response', $response);

into this:

Code: Select all

// Response
$response = new Response();
$response->addHeader('Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8');
// do not cache responses
$response->addHeader('Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0');
// do not cache responses in proxies
$response->addHeader('Pragma: no-cache');
$response->setCompression($config->get('config_compression'));
$registry->set('response', $response);

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan
Extensions: MailQueue | SUKHR | VBoces

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by letxobnav » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:12 pm

next time when you get this issue, try to do a "view source" on the web page, then you can see if maybe it cuts html off in some strange way.

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by OSWorX » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:40 pm

belindaj wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:53 pm
OSWorX wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:34 pm

I have not - I only discovered Open Cart 5 days ago. The thought of installing a second version makes me cringe (makes a couple other people cringe probably too - those who I've already been blessed to pick their brains for help!)

But, maybe I'll get brave. (Yes straightlight - it'll go in a completely separate subdirectory if I do it!!! Oh dear, that'll mean another storage folder creation...and that went *so well* the first time.)
There is nothing to make you 'cringe'!
1. Simply create a new (sub)folder, place the unpacked OpenCart installer package there.
2. Either use same database BUT with different prefix - OR create a new database.
3. Then call the installer.

Just a matter of 3 minutes.

The reason why I ask (and argue) for that is, that with hundreds of 2.3..0.2 installation at my clients I never had such troubles.
That is why I am using still 2.3.0.3 and NOT 3.x

belindaj wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:53 pm
I've made 3 different backups since we last talked - after every. single. extension. installation.
Hmm .. what do you mean with that?
I thought you are using a plain installation - no extra template, no further extensions, no modifications, no .htaccess ??

And you 'discovered' OpenCart 5 days ago - welcome.
But listen what experienced users here are telling you.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by belindaj » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:52 pm

OSWorX wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:40 pm
Hmm .. what do you mean with that?
I thought you are using a plain installation - no extra template, no further extensions, no modifications, no .htaccess ??

And you 'discovered' OpenCart 5 days ago - welcome.
But listen what experienced users here are telling you.
I need to update my signature file regarding the extensions/mods - there are 3 now (although about to be 2 since I've had no response to request for help from the most expensive one and FABULOUS communication from one of the others that now does what I need it to do) and I have most definitely been listening to experienced users and working with them in the process. But no extra templates, no extra themes and no plans for either. I would not be using extensions at all if there was better custom field control (I only need one but I need it in a certain place) and better (deeper) reporting with export built in to the default installation.

I may follow your suggestion of the previous version out later today. Thank you for your suggestions and comments.

Post by cyclops12 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:10 pm

If you do install 2302 then no worries with moving the storage folder

Expert Member

Post by letxobnav » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:45 am

if this is a cache issue proxy-wise or otherwise, installing a different version is futile.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by OSWorX » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:20 pm

letxobnav wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:45 am
if this is a cache issue proxy-wise or otherwise, installing a different version is futile.
Maybe it's futile, but then we know it IS a cache issue.
What we still missing is:

1. which Server software is used
2. version of Server software
3. version of used php
4. what cache mechanism are used (server side)
5. is a proxy used
6. who is the Provider

As long as these (additional) details are not known, everybody can only assume ..

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by letxobnav » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:32 pm

1. which Server software is used
2. version of Server software

so what?
all that matters is which control headers you send out along with which html source.

3. version of used php
4. what cache mechanism are used (server side)
5. is a proxy used
6. who is the Provider

all of these points have nothing to do with the version of OC you have installed.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan