Post by lashman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:33 am

Hi,
Can someone explain what you place in the new product tag box for products, also what is Tag Cloud, I notice you can get a module for this but what would you use it for.
Sorry for dumb questions.
Lashman

Location - North Yorkshire

Post by Qphoria » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:37 am

http://www.google.com/search?q=tag+clou ... =firefox-a

Tags are like keywords that are common amongst articles, products, etc. useful for cross referencing or just adding additional search targets that may not be part of the main name or description

Example
Product Name: Apple Ipod
Product Description: The apple ipod is an mp3 player
Product Tags: Apple, ipod, Steve Jobs, mac, macintosh, mp3, zune, music, headphones, iphone

Administrator

Post by lashman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:43 am

Thank you Q for that info, will read the article on Tag Clouds.
Lashman

Location - North Yorkshire

Post by Purebeads » Tue May 11, 2010 5:20 am

I'm raising this thread to the top because, after reading it, I still don't fully understand what product tags are. If product tags are key words, why aren't they showing up in searches on the site? For example, one of the bead shapes I sell is called a "rondel". However, some customers spell that "rondelle", so I want to add "rondelle" as a key word, but putting that word in the Product tags field doesn't make it show up in searches. How do I do that?

Please note that I searched the forum before posting this (that's how I found this thread).

Post by Xsecrets » Tue May 11, 2010 5:56 am

a product should show up when you search for any word you put in the keywords. Not sure why you are having a problem, but it works on a default 1.4.7 install I put in a keyword of "nonsense" into one of the products then searched for nonsense and that product came up.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by Purebeads » Tue May 11, 2010 7:02 am

Thank you for your response.

I sell some expensive beads in the Premium category. However, the word "premium" doesn't appear in the name for those beads, so I put the word "premium" in the product tag field. I just searched for the word "premium" and none of the items with that product tag came up. I was careful to search all categories. So this feature isn't working for me.

Post by Xsecrets » Tue May 11, 2010 7:13 am

you're using 1.4.7? It works just fine no matter how I test it in 1.4.7. If you are using an older version with the tag module then it won't work. I don't remember seeing any search changes listed when I was updating the tag cloud module to work with 1.4.7

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by Purebeads » Tue May 11, 2010 7:29 am

I just realized that I have to search in Product Descriptions to find any tags in the Product Tags field. That's unfortunate. I sometimes mention words in the description that I don't want to be found in searches. For example, I might say that a blue bead has a little green in it, but that doesn't mean that I want the bead to show up when people are searching for green beads.

Ideally, what would be perfect for me is if the search function searched (1) names, (2) model names and (3) product tags by default, but not descriptions. However, I don't want to put anyone to the trouble of having to figure out the code.

Post by Qphoria » Tue May 11, 2010 10:34 am

No. You don't have to search in descriptions for it. There is a bug in the product tag search. It is fixed in 1.4.8

Administrator

Post by Purebeads » Tue May 11, 2010 11:30 am

Oh, wonderful!

I sent one of my best customers to the new shopping cart to test it out, and she immediately had criticisms of the search function. That change will do a lot to make her happy.

Post by mikeydiamonds » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:57 am

I understand the benefit of Tags my question is how can I link directly to a group of products with the same tag?

Post by Xsecrets » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:20 am

with a link like

Code: Select all

<a href="http://domain.com/index.php?route=product/search&keyword=Tag">Tag</a> 

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by developer » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:33 am

How can I add tags to product and category pages? What's the variable for that? Is it like $tags or something like that?

Post by jcgadgets » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:01 pm

Hi,

I just want to settle this question: do search engines use the product tags? Can product tags help SEO of search engines other than the one on your site?

Thank you,
Jared

Post by BrianW » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:47 am

jcgadgets wrote:I just want to settle this question: do search engines use the product tags? Can product tags help SEO of search engines other than the one on your site?
The short answer is no.

In theory there might be a tiny bit of help, but nothing significant. Search engines read all the text on the product page, including the tags -- so adding the product tag is the same as using that word in the description. Thus a product with the text "Neato Widget Extreme" and tagged with "extreme" is pretty similar to having a description of "neato widget extreme extreme." But the fact that it's a tag isn't helping you much beyond just having the word appear.

Google is pretty good at not listing results for duplicate content within a site, thus all that content that appears when you click on the tag link generally won't be listed, because it's all duplicate content.

Give a man a fire and you make him warm for a day. Light a man on fire, and you make him warm for the rest of his life.
http://www.awesomedice.com

Location - Massachusetts

Post by Emanuel.C » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:12 pm

I want you to help me

Show Product Tags on catgeory page in Opencart 3.0.3.2.

Any advice helps me. :)
Thank you

Post by victorj » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:47 am

Product tags do work, and will help for seo, but you will have to do it right.
first of all use product tags correct that means all tags shopuld be sepereated with a ","
so word1,word2,word3,word4,word5
never use a space between words.
define your product tags carefully, you can use misspelling or odd spelling, but make sure you use those tags throughout the entire range of products thas could be difined with those words.
when someone clicks on that product tag, all product wth that thags wil show up and google willpick up that word associated with that word.
When applied correct most versions of oc will use tags for internal site searc, exept some old 1.4.x versions, but there is a vqmod that will fix that, (at least i have one made for that)

Koeltechnische deurrubbers eenvoudig online op maat bestellen.
Alle niet stekplichtige onderdelen zoals scharnieren, sloten, randverwarming en verlichting voor alle typen koelingen en vriezers.
https://koelcel-onderdelen.com

Expert Member

Location - Alkmaar Holland