Post by OlivierNL » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:46 pm

Hi All, I posted my question earlier in the forum of my Language but it doesn’t seem very active. So, I will try it here. I hope you can help me out.

I want to start with OpenCart 3 but after reading a few topics I see that there is a problem with the installing or the stability. I am no programmer so I probably can’t fix this. What is the status op OpenCart 3 now? Is it recommended to start with 2 or 3?

Post by Johnathan » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:55 pm

OpenCart 3.0 still has some bugs that haven't been fixed, so I've been recommending OpenCart 2.3.0.2 to people starting new stores. Both versions are stable, but the new Twig format and the issues with the Theme Editor + ocMod in OpenCart 3.0 are confusing to new users, so I find it's better to stick with 2.3 and just ignore those new features. Hopefully 3.1 will be out soon and fix all of those issues, and get a bugfix release out sooner than other versions have.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by thekrotek » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:23 pm

I'd lower OC 2 version to 2.2, because 2.3 has some fatal session issues. They do happen only in certain server environment, but you never know, if this is your case.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by OlivierNL » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:06 am

Tnx! I read that the 3.1 Alpha is released but that it is not clear when the final version would be ready to use.

How long can you work with version 2.2 / 2.3? if there will be a 3.1 soon?

What was the reason why they made a 3.0 after 2.3?

Post by thekrotek » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:15 am

OlivierNL wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:06 am
How long can you work with version 2.2 / 2.3? if there will be a 3.1 soon?
As long as you want. Not much reason to upgrade to 3.1 right now.
OlivierNL wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:06 am
What was the reason why they made a 3.0 after 2.3?
OC 3 is actually OC 2.4. Started as upgrade to 2.3, then version number was changed, some other changes made, stupid TWIG added, maybe a few other things. But comparing to other frameworks like Joomla or WordPress, for example, in this case major version doesn't mean major changes.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by OlivierNL » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:19 pm

Johnathan wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:55 pm
OpenCart 3.0 still has some bugs that haven't been fixed
Is there a page where i can check these bugs? So i can make an judgement. I am not a developer, just a store owner who wants to make his own store to replace magento 2

Post by Johnathan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:06 pm

There is a list of some bugs in the forum, and you can scan the github issues list to see what was fixed:

viewtopic.php?f=201&t=209266
viewforum.php?f=201
https://github.com/opencart/opencart/is ... s%3Aclosed

You can filter by "labels" in github to target the 3.0.x.x maintenance versions. It takes some browsing, but most of them are in there.

I've also tried to compile them into an extension (3.0.2.0 Bug Fixes) if you don't want to make all the fixes yourself.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by Laoyumi » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:22 am

I read this thread and intended to follow the recommendations but could not find any other version then opencart 3.0 for download. I installed it and sure enough it has some bugs like it crashes frequently. However, when we "newbees" use the program we can help reporting bugs and the situation will improve. After all, it is free and being a little patient and help to improve is our return.
In general however it works well and I am impressed by opencart! Looks and feels modern. However, the complexity makes it sometimes difficult to tick all the settings. This is not a complain, I want a complex program and a learning curve has to be expected. But the start was easy and quick, now come the refinements.