Post by Cue4cheap » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:59 am

Hello,
While I am very happy with 1.5.6.4 time keeps on marching and with PHP V7.x being pressed into a lot of web hosting I have started to look into OC 3.x.
There are a lot of changes from TWIG, OCMod, and events.
Is there anywhere that does a bridge of knowledge for .tpl to .twig? Also the same for events... i.e. how to use them.
I have a couple of contributions I've made for 1.5.6.4 and I would like to start working towards updating them for 3.x but I am by no means a professional programmer just a decent hack and the old set-up with VQMod and .tpl was (is) very intuitive and made it easy to make things and update the site. So I am hoping there is a few sites I could read to bring me up to speed quickly....
Any suggestions?
Thank you,
Mike
P.S. I did read Qs thread: viewtopic.php?t=185176
and a few others but nothing yet is clicking

cue4cheap not cheap quality

Expert Member

Post by paulfeakins » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:33 pm

We'd be happy to have a look, it might be that you can make 1.5.6 work with PHP 7 without too many changes.

Also have you seen this?
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/471 ... -into-twig

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by Cue4cheap » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:34 am

paulfeakins wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:33 pm
We'd be happy to have a look, it might be that you can make 1.5.6 work with PHP 7 without too many changes.

Also have you seen this?
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/471 ... -into-twig
That is a nice offer but I would like to learn the differences as I do not wish to have a site that requires a developer to make all the changes.

I have also read that and the bottom referenced link and it doesn't make sense to me...
for example the first one:
<?php echo $var; ?>
<\?php echo [$](\w*\b)[;] \?\>
{{ $1 }}

So {{ $1 }} is the same as echo $var; ????

If so how can $1 be known that it is $var or $umptyflop ???

Mike

Expert Member

Post by letxobnav » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:28 am

There are plenty of online tutorials about how twig works.
If you do not want to rely on a developer, I suggest you read those.

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan
Extensions: MailQueue | SUKHR | VBoces

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by Cue4cheap » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:34 am

letxobnav wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:28 am
There are plenty of online tutorials about how twig works.
If you do not want to rely on a developer, I suggest you read those.
Understood and I am doing that but any further suggestions would be helpful.
There is more to my post then TWIG too.
Mike

Expert Member

Post by IP_CAM » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:22 am

Cue4cheap wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:34 am
That might be so! :D But one also needs to be aware of the Fact, that as more
as OC get's professional, the less free and OC-Version-specific Wisdom exists.
OC grew out of the 'FAN' Stage, some time ago already, and not even those,
once investing a lot of free time, like https://isenselabs.com/books/allbooks
seem longer to be interested, to share their hard-earned knowledge with others,
most likely just looking for easy ways to create income out of others Wisdom.

And it's only a very few, left from the OC heydays, where lots of Fans existed too.
But the 'global mentality' has changed, all over the place, not only around here,
because the World is shrinking into a 'local' Marketplace faster than ever before.

It's my main reason, not to jump onto the Bandwaggon, to only get dependent
on hopefully free OC-Knowledge, that partly not even yet exists, or then, will only
be 'shared' against hard cash.

But OC never was, what many still today expect. Money was always part of it too,
it just needs to be accepted... :D

Good Luck!
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by thekrotek » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:13 pm

Cue4cheap wrote:
First of all, you should understand, that nobody will waste his time teaching you OpenCart for free. So start digging into tutorials, read the code and learn everything by yourself. Currently you're asking the basic questions, which are covered in tutorials. Learn the basics and THEN come for more.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by rpmb » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:36 pm

Well, a few things you should note.

You do not necessarily need to switch from tpl to twig there are workarounds available especially when it comes to mods and themes. Of course, knowledge and understanding of twig would be preferred as the core will still use it.

You could start here

https://symfonycasts.com/screencast/twig/basics

The TWIG version being shipped with OC 3.x including the latest version of OC is 1.24.2-DEV. Why that is I have no idea seen as there have been improvements in the TWIG engine in TWIG 2.x but hey that's OC for you!! so when reading the information on TWIG stick to the correct version.

It's worth noting that VQMOD isn't dead when it comes to OC 3.x you can still use it and personally I prefer it to OCMOD.

At the moment look at 3.0.2.0 and if you are wishing to migrate rather than start from scratch then have a look at

https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... 347&page=5

Which will help you migrate and Peku is extremely helpful should you have any issues with the migration.

How to build a module for OC 3.x

I did come across this awhile ago. Which runs you through step by step how they created a module it may help you convert yours.

https://medium.com/@justinasjbeinorius/ ... 66df28821b

opencart 3.0.2.0

Location - Cornwall

Post by Cue4cheap » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:52 pm

thekrotek wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:13 pm
Cue4cheap wrote:
First of all, you should understand, that nobody will waste his time teaching you OpenCart for free. So start digging into tutorials, read the code and learn everything by yourself. Currently you're asking the basic questions, which are covered in tutorials. Learn the basics and THEN come for more.
You must be having a bad day or just are an ....
But I am NOT asking people to teach me opencart. If you would have taken a moment to even look I have been around for years and have helped out a lot of people. It is "bridging the gap" from 1.5.6.4 NOT learning from scratch.
Have a good day and don't bother worrying about helping me, I don't need your type of "help".
Mike

Expert Member

Post by Cue4cheap » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:00 pm

rpmb,

You are awesome and thank you for the reply.
I will look the links over; I appreciate them.

I have the latest OC installed on my server and have all my orders, products, and customer info in it too... the conversion went very well with only one issue that was covered in the forum already and got OC 3.x going quickly.

Thank you again,

Mike

Expert Member

Post by Cue4cheap » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:10 pm

IP_CAM wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:22 am
Cue4cheap wrote:
And it's only a very few, left from the OC heydays, where lots of Fans existed too.
But the 'global mentality' has changed, all over the place, not only around here,
because the World is shrinking into a 'local' Marketplace faster than ever before.

Good Luck!
Ernie
Hey Ernie,

It has been about 6 years since I started with OC and I just went away from the forum since 1.5.6.4 was stable and I turned my focus to the business side of things and put my energies there versus being on the forum helping (like maybe I should have stuck around and done).

As long as I am around the forums I'll still provide help but you might have a valid point where there are more professionals looking for work vice the old group of community helping others out. But I will keep that opinion open as I have not been back on the forum for all that long and I don't want to have a bias going back in.
We'll see how quickly I can come up to speed on the new parts of OC, but looking around the amount of documentation on the features, and how to use them, seems to be about the same as when I was first here.
Mike

Expert Member

Post by IP_CAM » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:37 am

You also might find some good Information here:
https://webocreation.com/blog/opencart-tutorial/
Good Luck! ;)
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by Cue4cheap » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:42 am

IP_CAM wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:37 am
You also might find some good Information here:
https://webocreation.com/blog/opencart-tutorial/
Good Luck! ;)
Ernie
Perfect, thank you. I now have enough good reading material to keep me busy to see if I can get up to speed on 3.x. Thank you again, and to everyone else who provided good input.
Mike

Expert Member