Post by auu » Tue May 21, 2019 3:21 pm

Hi, I'm looking for some insight on how to revert (mistakenly) generated invoice number in OpenCart 3.0 admin panel.

If it's not possible through the OpenCart 3.0 admin panel itself, maybe someone know how to properly do it through the DB side to not break logic/numeration on forward?

Thanks! :)

auu

Post by paulfeakins » Tue May 21, 2019 6:06 pm

Why does it matter?

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by auu » Tue May 21, 2019 7:50 pm

Because we have Order ID and then Invoice ID

Invoice ID is generated only when purchase is made and paid.

I have no business background on why it does matter, but that's what basically is requested, to not have unpaid invoices.

I see that there is possibility to connect to DB/oc_order table and then change invoice_no to 0 instead of its current number. Seems to work. Is it the way to go and it won't generate any unintentional behavior?

auu

Post by paulfeakins » Tue May 21, 2019 7:53 pm

auu wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:50 pm
I have no business background on why it does matter, but that's what basically is requested, to not have unpaid invoices.
You should be able to just mark it as cancelled in your accounts.

auu wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:50 pm
I see that there is possibility to connect to DB/oc_order table and then change invoice_no to 0 instead of its current number. Seems to work. Is it the way to go and it won't generate any unintentional behavior?
It might do, if I were you I would cancel the invoice in your accounting system instead.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Post by straightlight » Tue May 21, 2019 8:00 pm

It might do, if I were you I would cancel the invoice in your accounting system instead.
This strategy would be inadvisable since claim statuses may reflect during income tax at the end of the year from financial licensing platforms since a constant cancellation technic would be used when gathering the data.

However, reversing the generated invoice number would not be suggested either. Rather build an 'after' event and either send the order information with the generated invoice number of the service provider rather than the invoice prefix and invoice number from Opencart orders via your financial system. The invoice number originating from service providers are related to financial claims on anyhow, in this case, which is what your financial system is requiring.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by auu » Tue May 21, 2019 8:23 pm

Lost you in translation @straightlight. Can you ellaborate more on your point of view? Are you saying to leave it be as it is? I could of kind of agree with you, but as stated previously I have no business counter argument to the enterprise in question to say that: "Hey don't worry, just mark it as not paid or someting and move on to the next invoice-number". Apparently they want to have all of generated invoices to be paid. Might be due to accounting department - make it easier on report at their side.

auu

Post by straightlight » Tue May 21, 2019 8:44 pm

Apparently they want to have all of generated invoices to be paid.
Which is exactly my point above. By cancelling the claim to your financial platform, the declaration of that order will no longer be considered as paid but rather a cancelled status and doing that continuously may affect the Business outcome with Service Strategy. As to leave it as is, that is not what has been written on my previous reply, it is rather written to send the transaction number from the service provider from the extension payment module you are using and forward that string number to your financial API. This will maintain the SLAs with your Business and between the service providers you are using by Service Design.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by auu » Tue May 21, 2019 8:58 pm

Sorry, seems like my English or knowledge on the topic in general, isn't that good, as I'm having really hard time to grasp your idea :)

What we currently have is OpenCart store with multiple payment options and one accountant.

When customer places order - Order ID is generated. When customer pays this order, we manually generate Invoice ID which we later on send to our customer and also one for our accountant.

Currently we have this unpaid order with Invoice ID generated which, kinda, mess things up. Accountant is asking for invoices which are only paid and invoices to be consisten in its numeration.

Maybe this logic is wrong and there is nothing wrong with unpaid invoices.

auu

Post by straightlight » Tue May 21, 2019 9:19 pm

auu wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 8:58 pm
Sorry, seems like my English or knowledge on the topic in general, isn't that good, as I'm having really hard time to grasp your idea :)

What we currently have is OpenCart store with multiple payment options and one accountant.

When customer places order - Order ID is generated. When customer pays this order, we manually generate Invoice ID which we later on send to our customer and also one for our accountant.

Currently we have this unpaid order with Invoice ID generated which, kinda, mess things up. [b[Accountant is asking for invoices which are only paid and invoices to be consisten in its numeration.[/b]

Maybe this logic is wrong and there is nothing wrong with unpaid invoices.
Which makes it a bit difficult to believe that you'd have a hard time grasping the idea if you also mention two lines below what you're actually doing and which is what my replies covers. Additionally, yes that is correct, the accountant is asking for invoices which are only paid and invoices to be consistent in its numeration which means the generated transaction ID from the payment service provider. Not from the one you manually generate. Which is why, I do not suggest to cancel any claims on your financial system unless the customer requests it (and noted).

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by paulfeakins » Tue May 21, 2019 10:16 pm

auu wrote:
Native English speaker here with a very good knowledge of accounting and OpenCart and I have NO IDEA what straightlight is going on about either.

The words look like they've been run through a translator backwards.

Straightlight, your posts usually make sense but I don't think you're speaking English today. Are you a native English speaker?

Guru Member

Post by paulfeakins » Tue May 21, 2019 10:22 pm

auu wrote:
Currently we have this unpaid order with Invoice ID generated which, kinda, mess things up. Accountant is asking for invoices which are only paid and invoices to be consisten in its numeration.
Are you based in the UK?

If so this is the answer:
"What if there is a break in sequence, for example where I cancel an invoice or it is spoiled and never issued to a customer?
As long as you retain the cancelled or spoiled invoice in your accounting records, or you can provide an explanation for the break in sequence, this is acceptable."
https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manual ... vatrec5020

Guru Member

Post by straightlight » Wed May 22, 2019 6:25 am

Point being, which is why my previous replies were provided so to suggest alternative strategies in order to maintain the Continuity Service on your store.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by paulfeakins » Wed May 22, 2019 4:15 pm

straightlight wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 6:25 am
Point being, which is why my previous replies were provided so to suggest alternative strategies in order to maintain the Continuity Service on your store.
Alternative strategies and options always good, we just couldn't understand the English :)

Guru Member

Post by auu » Wed May 22, 2019 7:12 pm

In the end I just reverted that particular invoice ID to 0 :)

An interesting conversation we did have nevertheless.

auu