Post by sebstore » Mon May 13, 2019 6:37 am

Dear All,

I was using version 1.5.4.6 for a couple of years, everything was working fine until I started to receive an error on my website and the performance went down. We decided to change to the newest version 3.0.3.2. I chose an official Opencart partner to migrate my store to the new version. The entire process took 2 weeks and everything was fine, but when it came to the details we received so many complains from the customers that you can't imagine. That website works extremely slow. Customers can't see the number of items in the cart. If you have for instance 10 items of product X the box with quantity is empty and a lot of issues on our back end which we noticed.

OK, so you are trying to improve the speed using modules. The problem is that very often these modules are not working, you are spending a lot of money and time without a proper result. I do understand the concept that you have a free solution which you can customize, but the problem is that this is not working in my case. I spend now weeks and a lot of money trying to fix single bug asking my customers for screenshots etc.

I am selling handmade products, and if you will combine all the effort to bring this store to work I think it is better just to sell stuff on ready platforms which are having good solutions already in place. Here even to find a product you need to have a module...

In general, I am sharing my opinion about this new product which a few years ago was a good solution for me and a great model on the market but nowadays, I think I need solution which will allow me to focus on my business rather than become a programmer as I think this product is for this group of people which can change something for fun and see how this work but not to do a business.

Best regards,

Seb

Post by IP_CAM » Mon May 13, 2019 9:24 am

1.5.4.6 - did not exist, as I'm aware of ::)
Well, you could always reverse your Decision again, as long as an
old last (1.5.6.4) full Version Database still exists. :D ;)

Your old Shop did only get slower, because of the amount of Data, laying
around in some Cache Sections, Image Subs, and/or Log Files, not regularely
checked and cleaned out, as required, in a Pro Environment like OC. Or then,
you did not take care, to speed it up, in the best possible way.
---
But if you decide on such, you'll need something, themewise 'responsive',
but you possibly already had such a Theme before already. And if not, for the
latest 1.5.6.4/1.5.6.5_rc Versions, a nice range of free Themes already exists,
some of them in real modern 'Bootstrap 3' Technology, to so fully meet the
responsive Internet Age.
The Version 1.5.6.5_rc would highly be recommended, since it only contains
a Range of (technical) Fixes, compared with 1.5.6.4, as you can find out here:
https://github.com/opencart/opencart/bl ... angelog.md
and it's downloadable here:
https://github.com/opencart/opencart/tr ... 306fb75707
Real Bootstrap Themes:
https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... er=ThePath
Bootstrap Technique:
https://www.tutorialrepublic.com/twitte ... -tutorial/
Admin Bootstrap Theme:
https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... n_id=13691
More: ( most Simple 'responsive' Themes have some slight visual misses in responsive View )
https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... responsive
---
DEFAULT OC v.1.5.6.x is not yet capable to handle PHP v.7.+,
but you'll find Infos on this as well as some Mods in the OC
Extension Section, to make it work at least up to PHP v.7.2x so far:
https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... n_id=34428
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=201657#p712303
And it would not need to be installed, if a Database exists, because
the Installation Routines will also not function with PHP7. But I could
send you a working free PHP7 v.1.5.6.x Install Routine on request as well.
---
Just in Case, and if you don't plan, to start with another Version Adventure again,
to then possibly just be confronted with additional work, like installing fixes, to
solve problems, found and fixed after their release date. (Unlike v.1.5.6.5_rc! :D )
Later OC Versions, partly upgraded with latest known fixes:
https://github.com/condor2?tab=repositories
---
Good Luck!
Ernie ;)

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by sebstore » Mon May 13, 2019 3:53 pm

Hi IP_Cam

Yes this version was 1.5.6.4 but any way, I spend a lot of money for modules to the new version 3 ... I hope there was any improvement between 1.5 and 3 ... except the admin look.... In general this is a joke in my opinion. When I am in the product category and changing the page to the next one it takes 15 sec. I have like 15 pages in this category. Try to imagine customer waiting for such a long time...

Best regards,

Seb

Post by xxvirusxx » Mon May 13, 2019 4:17 pm

Before upgrade you did some research?
Forum, demo testing...etc. to see if worth it to upgrade to 3.x?

Was more ok if you store was upgraded to 2.3.0.2.
3.0.2.0, 3.0.3.1, 3.0.3.2 are more slow and with many bugs then 2.3.0.2.

How many products you have on you store?

Upgrade Service | OC 2.3.0.2 PHP 8 | My Custom OC 3.0.3.8 | Buy me a beer

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by sebstore » Mon May 13, 2019 4:29 pm

Hi xxvirusxx

I did a research and I am not a programmer so you know it was basic information more about the features rather than technical aspects. If there is a release of new version it should be better from the default from the previous version. I know there is always time to polish the version but in general, it should work right?

I have 1000+ products, but nothing spectacular.

Best regards,

Seb

Post by xxvirusxx » Mon May 13, 2019 4:43 pm

You don't need to be a programmer, just to search and read users reviews.
Yes is always time to polish...if you have money.

If that Opencart partner fixed all bugs...then should work OK with 1000+ products
sebstore wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 4:29 pm
If there is a release of new version it should be better from the default from the previous version.
Not always.

What is you store url?

Upgrade Service | OC 2.3.0.2 PHP 8 | My Custom OC 3.0.3.8 | Buy me a beer

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by sebstore » Mon May 13, 2019 5:48 pm

Hi xxvirusxx

I have sent you the URL on priv.

Best regards,

Seb

Post by paulfeakins » Mon May 13, 2019 6:29 pm

sebstore wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 6:37 am
I chose an official Opencart partner to migrate my store to the new version. The entire process took 2 weeks and everything was fine, but when it came to the details we received so many complains from the customers that you can't imagine. That website works extremely slow. Customers can't see the number of items in the cart. If you have for instance 10 items of product X the box with quantity is empty and a lot of issues on our back end which we noticed.
Well they should fix it shouldn't they?

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by sebstore » Mon May 13, 2019 7:00 pm

Hi paulfeakins

Well, in general, yes. But they agreed to move the data from one version to another, but there are so many different factors that I can't ask them to fix the entire system from on site but from the other, I am receiving complains from my customers every single day about the strange behavior.
Just a few as an example:

1 After a certain amount of min items in the cart are disappearing.
2 Performance is terrible
3 In the cart, you are not able to see the number of products. On my laptop, it works but on iPad, Iphone and other customers devices it is not working.
and ... lot of more basic functionality which is not working as it should.

If someone will write officially on the website that this version will be ready in 2 years and now please use version 2.0 as it is stable I will consider moving.

I bought extra daily backup as you never know what will not work the next day.

If someone like this solution for a hobby I think it is perfect but you have nowadays so many competitors on the market: Magento, Prestashop, Quick Cart, osCommerce, ZenCart, SpreeCommerce, WooCommerce, DrupalCommerce, VirtueMart and much much more to choose from. For me as I am selling handmade producer also ready platforms like Etsy, Dawanda etc.

Try to understand my frustration, we started migration at the end of Jan and it is May and still, a lot of things is not working as it should.

Best regards,

Seb

Post by paulfeakins » Mon May 13, 2019 7:50 pm

sebstore wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 7:00 pm
But they agreed to move the data from one version to another, but there are so many different factors that I can't ask them to fix the entire system from on site but from the other, I am receiving complains from my customers every single day about the strange behavior.
It depends exactly what they agreed to do, do you have a written statement of works?

sebstore wrote:
1 After a certain amount of min items in the cart are disappearing.
Likely the session timeout value on your server - did you move servers as well as version?

sebstore wrote:
2 Performance is terrible
Likely this problem: viewtopic.php?t=165423

sebstore wrote:
3 In the cart, you are not able to see the number of products. On my laptop, it works but on iPad, Iphone and other customers devices it is not working.
and ... lot of more basic functionality which is not working as it should.
Well OpenCart 3 does show this on desktop and mobile so do you have a different theme?

sebstore wrote:
If someone will write officially on the website that this version will be ready in 2 years and now please use version 2.0 as it is stable I will consider moving.
That is not the case, you should stick with 3.

sebstore wrote:
I bought extra daily backup as you never know what will not work the next day.
Well you should have backup anyway, it's madness running an ecommerce business without.

sebstore wrote:
If someone like this solution for a hobby I think it is perfect but you have nowadays so many competitors on the market: Magento, Prestashop, Quick Cart, osCommerce, ZenCart, SpreeCommerce, WooCommerce, DrupalCommerce, VirtueMart and much much more to choose from.
Most of the open source platforms you listed are not as good as OpenCart.

sebstore wrote:
For me as I am selling handmade producer also ready platforms like Etsy, Dawanda etc.
If you don't need to customise anything they can be great. In my view, OpenCart is best for the small business that has enough budget to customise it to their needs but doesn't want to be tied in to a proprietary platform that will be waaay more expensive and have horrible license terms.

sebstore wrote:
Try to understand my frustration, we started migration at the end of Jan and it is May and still, a lot of things is not working as it should.
I understand, we migrate sites all the time and there can be a lot of difficulties unless you really know what you are doing.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Post by sebstore » Mon May 13, 2019 10:34 pm

Hi paulfeakins,

They agreed to move all data modules and transfer the entire service to the new server. They are listed as a partner on official OpenCart website so I assume they know what they are doing. I am running my store on OXY theme. With this amount of product visible in the cart, it can be related to the theme. I was trying to reach the support and they don't answer so far since a few days...
The migration project is quite simple. there were no changes in the core files etc. We had a few modules and that's it.

But when it came to the details, few modules were not up to version 3 so we needed to update them.

Regarding the session on the server, I am not 100% sure. When I am logged in as admin the session will be kept for a long time. Longer than 30 min.

I bought also a NitroPack module to boost the speed, but I don't see much difference, to be honest... Yes in the statistic of google it looks a bit better...

I do have a backup as usual, but what I meant is that this system is so unstable that it kind of forced me to run backups daily now.

I am getting a lot of questions from customers what happened and of course, not everyone is reporting the problem. I can see that customers are coming and leaving the site quicker then it was before...

Best regards,

Seb

Post by paulfeakins » Mon May 13, 2019 10:45 pm

sebstore wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:34 pm
They agreed to move all data modules and transfer the entire service to the new server. They are listed as a partner on official OpenCart website so I assume they know what they are doing.
Well clearly they don't if they have left you with a site that doesn't function properly - I suggest you push them hard to fix these issues.

sebstore wrote:
I am running my store on OXY theme. With this amount of product visible in the cart, it can be related to the theme. I was trying to reach the support and they don't answer so far since a few days...
Well push them hard also if there is a problem with their paid theme! Don't accept rubbish from these people you have paid good money to!

sebstore wrote:
Regarding the session on the server, I am not 100% sure. When I am logged in as admin the session will be kept for a long time. Longer than 30 min.
Then it might not be this, you need a developer to look, and really the developers who built it for you need to do this for free and I don't mind if you show them this post.

sebstore wrote:
I bought also a NitroPack module to boost the speed, but I don't see much difference, to be honest... Yes in the statistic of google it looks a bit better...
Ask iSense to investigate, there are a lot of settings to configure and they should do this for you.

sebstore wrote:
I do have a backup as usual, but what I meant is that this system is so unstable that it kind of forced me to run backups daily now.
I understand but it is mad not to have backups in the first place.

sebstore wrote:
I am getting a lot of questions from customers what happened and of course, not everyone is reporting the problem. I can see that customers are coming and leaving the site quicker then it was before...
You need to make a VERY clear list of issues, send them to the developer and insist that they fix them as part of the agreed work. Here is how to report an issue the right way: https://www.antropy.co.uk/blog/how-to-r ... right-way/

Guru Member

Post by IP_CAM » Mon May 13, 2019 11:44 pm

I hope there was any improvement between 1.5 and 3 .
Well, you're not the only one, as it looks, expecting this to be the case.
But OC has to keep up with new ways of doing things, to broaden it's
own range of Clients, and that does not automatically mean, that
later Versions have to be better too, whatever 'better' means.

In addition to the plain Fact, that 'Communication' is not one of the
most favoured Priorities of OC. And those, creating their income out of
the OC Project, are in harsh Competition with each others, and that
makes it even harder, to get much 'neutral' Information, especially,
when it comes to later Versions, and what's related with.

It's just the price, to pay, by using that kind of 'free' Software, and it
needs to be accepted, like it or not. ;)

Good Luck !
Ernie

5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by sebstore » Tue May 21, 2019 6:10 am

Gent,

Thank you for your time. I am still looking for a solution and this is what my hosting provider wrote to me today. Maybe it will change anything or you will be able to help or at least confirm if this is normal for opencart....

"According to this screenshot, your website is hitting resource limits when it’s trying to communicate with your database. This can be caused by extensions inside our OpenCart that are communicating incorrectly or having lots of extensions installed. I have also noticed that your website’s memory usage idles, or stays, midway all the time. This is usually caused by something always running on your website (ie. Analytics, Security, etc)."

.... I cant upload on this forum attachment ...if someone will be interested to help I will send it in priv msg or via email.

Best regards,
Seb

Post by IP_CAM » Tue May 21, 2019 6:42 am

I have also noticed that your website’s memory usage idles, or stays, midway all the time
OOPS, that does not sound good, it's likely a Crypto Currency Miner,
or even worse. You probably better remove everything you have on
that Server, and start again, by first check every single Extension,
if it possibly contains some 'bad' Code. But get the Host Site Logs
first, to possibly see, who's linking to the Server in hidden ways.
It could take some hours for a Dev, to find out, so better prepare,
if you cannot solve the problem on your own.

Good Luck! ;)
Ernie

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by sebstore » Tue May 21, 2019 3:26 pm

Hi there,

This is a new server I moved my website there and it was started a fresh. I think it might be related to the module ... i dont know...

Post by paulfeakins » Tue May 21, 2019 4:28 pm

sebstore wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:26 pm
This is a new server I moved my website there and it was started a fresh. I think it might be related to the module ... i dont know...
You could pay a developer from Commercial Support to sort this mess out for you ...

Guru Member

Post by IP_CAM » Thu May 23, 2019 7:40 am

Well, I at least expect you to have downloaded the last FIXED
Version of OC 3.0.2.x, and not the one from the official OC
Download Section, to make sure, to have all fixes made, after
it's official Arrival, already installed: :choke:
https://github.com/IP-CAM/Opencart_3020
Good Luck! ;)
Ernie

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland