Post by straightlight » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:54 pm

I think that just keeping the old releases in independent git branches, cherry-picking there the bug fix commits that are also applied in the main branch, would make it easier to provide periodic bug fix releases.
By doing so, the demands would also increase on even more previous releases of Opencart since larger integration events would need to be planned while the upcoming version may already contain changes that people are already amending and adapting to their stores on the side along with the new added features that prior versions did not have.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by emilioj » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:28 pm

straightlight wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:54 pm
I think that just keeping the old releases in independent git branches, cherry-picking there the bug fix commits that are also applied in the main branch, would make it easier to provide periodic bug fix releases.
By doing so, the demands would also increase on even more previous releases of Opencart [...]
I think that providing support (via bug fix releases) at least to the last stable version would be a good trade-off. Users can wait for new features, but they can not wait for bug fixes. Currently, OC development (at least what I can see in the official github repo) is mixing new feature commits and bug fix patches in the main branch (I'm not sure about the purpose of the 'dev' branch) so I do not see so hard work to just apply bug fixes on last stable. Obviously, it's an extra work, but I think it's worth it!

Post by affect » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:04 pm

emilioj wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:28 pm
I think that providing support (via bug fix releases) at least to the last stable version would be a good trade-off. Users can wait for new features, but they can not wait for bug fixes. Currently, OC development (at least what I can see in the official github repo) is mixing new feature commits and bug fix patches in the main branch (I'm not sure about the purpose of the 'dev' branch) so I do not see so hard work to just apply bug fixes on last stable. Obviously, it's an extra work, but I think it's worth it!
Yeah, that's one of the major reasons we're still sticking with 2.3.0.2 at MultiMerch.

Releasing a few minor .x releases to address existing issues isn't something extraordinary – it's common sense. Instead, after more than a year in waiting, we'll now get a huge, major 3.1 release that will definitely introduce a whole new set of issues and will be a pain for everyone to upgrade to (again!).

Honestly, I don't get it.

MultiMerch Marketplace for OpenCart

Post by nexxterra » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:25 am

I have placed my clients in opencart for years and the last few I have placed with 3.0.2.0 have not been happy, mods that are available in 2.3.0.2 are not available for 3.X, it even looks like a lot of mod developers have stopped developing.
While backward compatibility is sometimes difficult, I do not understand why in this case it was overlooked. The latest version of 2.x and 3.x are basically the same product, no major innovation that would have called for destroying what until V2.X was a great platform.

Post by MrMac78 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:24 pm

nexxterra wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:25 am
I have placed my clients in opencart for years and the last few I have placed with 3.0.2.0 have not been happy, mods that are available in 2.3.0.2 are not available for 3.X, it even looks like a lot of mod developers have stopped developing.
While backward compatibility is sometimes difficult, I do not understand why in this case it was overlooked. The latest version of 2.x and 3.x are basically the same product, no major innovation that would have called for destroying what until V2.X was a great platform.
We ditched OC off for new clients early 2018, started using Woo, only have a handle full of OC2 clients left now, looking to migrate them. Do yourself a big favour and stop waiting for a complete and new stable version of OC3 and migrate over to Woo.

Post by heloxe1 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:54 am

MrMac78 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:24 pm
We ditched OC off for new clients early 2018, started using Woo, only have a handle full of OC2 clients left now, looking to migrate them. Do yourself a big favour and stop waiting for a complete and new stable version of OC3 and migrate over to Woo.
MrMac78, I am leaning that way. Do you have any suggestions on migration or guides for OC3? I've seen mixed reviews of the cart2cart tool and would rather do it myself than pay. I'd prefer probably just doing a manual export/import. Thanks.

Post by MrMac78 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:23 pm

Hi, sadly... cart 2 cart for us was a complete mess. The only way we found was the olde fashioned way of csv export from OC, edit the data to suit and csv import to WOO. It's long-winded but works. OC is dead as far as I am concerned, too far behind WOO in terms of community and support, but more importantly, the company behind WOO and WP is properly structured, coherent and active.
heloxe1 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:54 am
MrMac78, I am leaning that way. Do you have any suggestions on migration or guides for OC3? I've seen mixed reviews of the cart2cart tool and would rather do it myself than pay. I'd prefer probably just doing a manual export/import. Thanks.

Post by heloxe1 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:05 am

MrMac78 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:23 pm
Hi, sadly... cart 2 cart for us was a complete mess. The only way we found was the olde fashioned way of csv export from OC, edit the data to suit and csv import to WOO. It's long-winded but works. OC is dead as far as I am concerned, too far behind WOO in terms of community and support, but more importantly, the company behind WOO and WP is properly structured, coherent and active.
heloxe1 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:54 am
It took about a month of fooling around with WC to switch. I converted my customizations and entered my 400+ products into a csv file to make the transition. OC was a fun experiment for me, but I recommend and believe woocommerce is superior. Good luck OC!