Post by uebz » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:25 am

Just wondering how OC decides what features will or will not be in the next release? Is it one person or a committee? If you contribute code that improves a current part of the system (not bug fix, but more like better user experience) how do you know if it'll be accepted or not accepted? do you do code first, or do you need to have a proposal first?

Post by IP_CAM » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:27 pm

Is it one person or a committee?
Well, OC is a one Man Show, sort of speak.
And a proposal is accepted, if that Code is later part of an OC Version. But one is free,
to (re)write Code, and publish it, as Extension, or then as complete OC Installation
Package. But there are no Plans for 'next' Releases, OC is an ongoing Development,
and next Releases also depend on experience, gattered during the Use of 'present'
Editions. So, OC is more an ongoing Task, than a strictly organized and structured
Business-Model, because if it would, it could not come for free! ;) :D
But that's only my personal point of view, far away from anything ... ;)
Ernie
---
OC Developer Site:
https://github.com/opencart/opencart
---

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by Johnathan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:47 am

Daniel basically decides the features. You can offer suggestions, and he may accept a code pull if you submit that on github, but there's no guarantee he'll take your suggestion. If there are no issues with your code and it doesn't affect other parts of OpenCart I don't know why he wouldn't take a submission that adds functionality, but he doesn't take all suggestions for improvement.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by purpletreesoft » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:29 am

Johnathan wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:47 am
Daniel basically decides the features. You can offer suggestions, and he may accept a code pull if you submit that on github, but there's no guarantee he'll take your suggestion. If there are no issues with your code and it doesn't affect other parts of OpenCart I don't know why he wouldn't take a submission that adds functionality, but he doesn't take all suggestions for improvement.
Everything you said sounds good, the only bad thing is the pace of development. It has been so long we had 3.0.2.0 and no movement from there.
I am sure opencart makes good money from opencart marketplace, and he should have a nice structure in place by now. Last I knew there is a 4-5 member team in place already.

Purpletree Software LLP
New features launched for Multivendor Marketplace Extension

Post by uebz » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:19 pm

Johnathan wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:47 am
Everything you said sounds good, the only bad thing is the pace of development. It has been so long we had 3.0.2.0 and no movement from there.
I am sure opencart makes good money from opencart marketplace, and he should have a nice structure in place by now. Last I knew there is a 4-5 member team in place already.
I'm not sure if you've gone through the source code but the pace of development might have something to do with that...
- 1000 line methods
- methods that do more than one thing
- non existent commenting
- a whole page or so of developer documentation

I'm curious if there are unit tests for this project?