Post by HankMcSpank » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:57 am

If I create a new category, all is well, if I tried to modify an existing category, I get this...

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /admin/index.php on this server.

I have checked the file permissions on that file (using filezilla)...all is fine, so why can't I modify a category? (I can modify products without issue)

Post by victorj » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:09 am

checkthat the files are present.
make sure index. php has permissions not been set to 777

Koeltechnische deurrubbers eenvoudig online op maat bestellen.
Alle niet stekplichtige onderdelen zoals scharnieren, sloten, randverwarming en verlichting voor alle typen koelingen en vriezers.
https://koelcel-onderdelen.com

Expert Member

Location - Alkmaar Holland

Post by HankMcSpank » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:47 am

victorj wrote:checkthat the files are present.
Thanks.....but check which files are present? (the error only refers to one file /admin/index.php .....and that's there!)
victorj wrote:make sure index. php has permissions not been set to 777
I had previously, but just to reiterate....

/admin/index.php permissions are set to 777

...this problem is driving me potty, like I say, I can add a category, or add/modify a product, but can't modify a category!!!

Post by JAY6390 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:57 am

Some servers don't like 777

Try setting both the admin folder and the admin/index.php folder to 755, 775, 777 in that order (make sure both are identical). Failing that, you'll have to contact your hosting

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by HankMcSpank » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:41 pm

JAY6390 wrote:Some servers don't like 777

Try setting both the admin folder and the admin/index.php folder to 755, 775, 777 in that order (make sure both are identical). Failing that, you'll have to contact your hosting

Just tried....I can't set the admin folder to anything other than 777 (in other words, I set it, save, then check - it's still 777)

I've raised a ticket with my host.

Post by victorj » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:13 pm

use your filemanager in your hosting panel
reset owner now probally apache
set permissions

Koeltechnische deurrubbers eenvoudig online op maat bestellen.
Alle niet stekplichtige onderdelen zoals scharnieren, sloten, randverwarming en verlichting voor alle typen koelingen en vriezers.
https://koelcel-onderdelen.com

Expert Member

Location - Alkmaar Holland

Post by HankMcSpank » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:09 pm

I tried that....still the same.

This is now degenerating. Previously I could add a new category, so if I wanted to mod an existing category, at least I could create a new one with the modifications I was after, then delete the old one, but now it won't even let me create a new category.

Is this going to be anything to do with tokens, because when I click save (after creating a new category), the address bar URL has this...

http://mysite'sname then admin/index.php?route=catalog/category/insert&token=07caf5d5b5342134d7ac0e03f503e7ae

Can anyone else suggest anything because I'm getting kind of desperate now!

Post by JAY6390 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:13 pm

You could create a new folder called admin2, upload the admin contents from a fresh install to that folder, and then add the config from your original admin folder, changing "admin" paths to "admin2" for all of them. Then you just go to yoursite.com/admin2/

Guru Member

Post by HankMcSpank » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:41 pm

Thanks...for the moment that's a little beyond my comfort zone.

Re not being able to add a new category....I've now established that I *can* add a new category *if* there's nothing typed in the category description box/field when I add it! (it will then let me goback in and modify the decription box for the newly created category ...which is weird because certainly with my existing other categories, it won't let me save any changes to the category name or even the text in the category description box!)

Post by HankMcSpank » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:52 pm

Ok, sorted.

The file permissions /admin/index.php (as reported when I clicked save changes to the category) was a misnomer.

In my catebory description box I have some embedded html code which plays a youtube video - it's been there since I setup my site & actually works fine....but it was this code that was stopping me being able to modify the catergory. Once I removed the code I could then save any mods to the category.

Weirdly, after removing it and then saving..... I can re-embed the same youtube html code & I'm now able to modify the category!

Post by JAY6390 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:51 am

Very bizarre. At least it's fixed :)

Guru Member

Post by HankMcSpank » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:32 am

Exactly.....but thanks nevertheless for your input in my time of utter despair!

Post by frtyaman » Tue May 15, 2018 2:29 pm

Post by insurekenya » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:37 am

Okay, turn off Mod Security in the cPanel. It may be the cause of the access permission problem

O0 O0 O0 O0 O0